USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: More features of GH-625 is coming soon!  (Read 39028 times)

johan_ande

• Regular Members
Re: More features of GH-625 is coming soon!
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »

Hi Geoffrey,

I have no idea of how auto lap by position could be done. But as Hubert said a +/- 15 error might be ok. At least if the track isn't to short. That would be a circular track. For instance I have track of 2km round a lake at home. But I guess this could be hard to implement. If you are unlucky and have a bad reception you might miss one lap and get one that is twice the distance.

Kind regards
Johan

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2009, 04:52:21 pm »

For ASCSPEED is for asceeding speedd. Now we calculated it by (h1-h2)/sec*3600 sec= m/hr, because the elevation is reported by GPS every second. So the min scale value is 3600.
Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Hi Geoffrey,
I think this canīt work reliable  :-[ because of the accuracy of GPS and the resolution of +/-1m.
Solve the problem by measuring h1 and h2 within 5 minutes and than calculate (h2-h1)x12 = ascspeed in m/hr.  ;) This is always the average ascspeed of the last 5 minutes. For the 5 minutes it would be fine to take a time-window of the last 5 minutes (remember the idea Pace1K with the lengh-window of 1000 meters).
I think the ascspeed is only interesting for hiking and for this the the time-window of 5 minutes should be okay.

Sincerely

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

skeptisch

• Regular Members
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »

Hi again,

i testet the GH 625 with firmware 1.07 and Training Gym 2.0 extensively in the last weeks (skimountaineering, running and biking).

Here are some more suggestions for improval (i agree on the ideas of Hubert by the way and would also help for the german translation):

major things to change:

- for navigation: make at least UTM grid coordinates possibel also for waypoint entry in the watch and in trainig gym. Most outdoor maps i know here in Europe use the UTM grid already. So if one wants to read coordinates from a map and create a waypoint to go to... 
of course also Gauss Krueger and Swissgrid would be fine, but UTM is a must I think to use the watch seriously as a relyable navigation tool. It should not be a big problem i think, since the UTM format is already available as a output option in "your position"...

- smooth the speed (or better the remaining time) or make it configurable in the "to go" waypoint display. My suggestion: a) in the moment one starts the "goto waypoint", start an internal timer and display the rest time till arrival based on the average speed calculated for the time of this timer.
or b) calculate the remaining time based on a smoothed average speed (e.g. the speed of the last 10 second or so (better to make it configurable). Especially if one walkes or hikes with ski poles etc. the remaining time jumpes between almost zero and unbelievable long now, since the arm is standing still for a second and moves quite fast than again...

- ad a display (e.g. in the satellite screen) which shows the estimatet accuracy of the position measurements. Especially if one wants to set a relyabel waypoint, it would be great to know a bit more then the "3D fix" about accuracy.

- there seems to be a bug in the calory counting algorithm (at least in my watch). E.g. I run a short 9.1 km trip today. As long as the timer is running or the trip is not saved in the activity info, i can read the total calories over the trip time. My other calory counter watches show nearly the same values.
When i save the trip by escaping trainig mode, zero total calories are displayed in the general screen for that activity in "activity info". When i open the acitvity, i can see the calories for every lap (e.g.: lap 1= 90 cal , lap 2=  120 cal...) but for the last - and incomplete - lap 10, the counter shows someting aroung 64800 calories. I guess this is also the reason, why the general sum of calories for the activity is not shown (I set the calorie setting to "by time"). This happens nearly all the time.
Any ideas?

- I found out, that the absolute altitude information is very relyable in the mountains. Most time less then 5 meters away from the "official" elevation info given in maps etc. - most time the absolute elevation is even more precise then those given by many barometric altimeters around me. It is a real pitty, that the watch cumulates still nonsence. My suggestion: make the minimal climb or drop for cumulation configurable. For mountaineering, a cumulation "hystersis" that starts at something like +-20 meters (or even more) would be detailed enough i think, but the user should have the joice, as long as the problem of appropriate smoothing of the GPS positioning noise is not solved.

- make the cumulation dependent on the accuracy of the actual positioning. When the signal is to week, stop cumulation instead of cumulating the jumps in the postion. (probably the watch does this already, but the results are not satisfying yet)

minor suggestions for change:

- make the time (I mean the clock time, not the timer time) available also in the custom page settings

- make the map (as an option) rotating relative to a fixed displayed person instead of north oriented, in the track back mode.

- change menu structure: place all things which have effects for navigation and activity issues (like the coordinate formats) into the system configuration menu instead of placing some here (activity settings) and some there (navigation and configuration).

- make the track points in training gym changable - at least deletable. By that, jumps in the tracks due to inappropriate measurement of position or heartrate could be eliminated at least by the "post processing" of the user...

-it would be of great help, if one could create waypoints, routes and tracks directly in the google maps or google earth inside the training gym and upload them to the watch. Up to know, it is very complicatet to do it by hand.

- last but not least:
although your ambition is great to make training gym a nice tool for archiving and displaying training data, i have the impression, that a huge - and growing - proportion of users stick to Sporttracks.  But there are some problems with the plugin for the GH 625.  (system crashes while downloading the data of several activities at once etc.)
Why not making training gym a relyable tool for configuration and navigational issues (track, waypoint creation and upload, firmware update, user configuration etc.) - but not so much for training  and helping the guys of sporttracks a bit out with the plugin problems?

Sorry for the monster reply and my bad english

greetings

Skeptisch

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 03:43:28 pm »

Hi,

in the meantime I was able to test the HRM function of the GH-625.
Of course, the worst result is the already known "Peak functionality".
I have posted my opinion in the "HRM problems" thread already.

But there are some minor items, which I think could be done better
with a future firmware:

1. HRM Alarming:
   I also used the upper/lower alarm function. And it made me completely
   nervous ! It's beeping all the time ( I guess every 4 seconds), when the
   heart beat is to high or to low.  That means, when you start a training,
   and the heart beat normally is still low, the watch will beep for the first
   10 minutes. Unitil you reach a higher rate.
   This should be optimzied !  Either - as others do: Create an alarm only
   once, when the limit violation is detected the first time and then remain
   quiet. Create another alarm, when the normal zone is reached again.
   Or - leave the current solution, but allow the time between alarms to
   be configured for 30 or 60 seconds.

2. Alarm display:
   When an alarm occours, it will be displayed with a large message covering
   the main part of the display. Unfortunately I had created a special HRM
   display with the current HR in the middle. And exactly in that moment,
   when there was an alarm, I couldn't see the current value, because of
   the message.
   In my special case, where the heart beat was displayed anyway, it would
   be enough to let the value blink or to show an additional symbol, like up
   or down arrow in case of an alarm.
   For other displays, where the heart beat isn't contained, it will be more
   difficult. Maybe a separate alarm line could solve the problem.
   This alarm line could be part of the user configurable displays and would
   display an alarm, if it occurs. So it will be the users decision, if he wants
   to see it and where. No other parts of the display are covered.

3. Heart rate maximum:
   First I want to have it changeable and not calculated. Calculation formulas
   are nonsense. Everbody is different.
   However - up to now I didn't found a function where the HFmax is used ?
   It would be nice to have a display which tells me that I'm running with 85%
   of HFmax or something like that.

For the moment I will stop here. If the general problem of HR peaks is not solved,
all other improvements don't make much sense...

Regards, Hubert
GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326

skeptisch

• Regular Members
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »

Hi again,

just a comment to the heart rate problem: Up to now, I only used a chest belt from my old Ciclo HAC 4 without any problems. Of course there are high peaks when training with friends using uncoded belts, but if i run left of them (I am a righty) even this problem is easy to fix. When using Sportracks, the peaks - which are usually far beyond my HR max - are easliy to be deletet giving ST a realistic range for the HR. But lets see what the new firmware will bring us.

Again, thanks for the support in here. Even if there are problems with the product, the feedback and speed of implementation of user suggestions are really great!

greatings

Skeptisch

johan_ande

• Regular Members
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 02:33:06 am »

Hi,

A question about spikes and peaks. When training a couple of days ago I noticed that the heart rate rised into a peak rather that a spike. Is this new function for stable heart rate readings softening out the spikes? Or could it be some interference that caused the rise. It wasn't that high (not >220) but rather 30-40 beats / minute higher than it should be.

Kind regards
Johan

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:46 am »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm also a new and happy user of the GH-625 GPS Watch.
I'm using the watch less than one week - so I don't have much experience up to now.

In the meantime I have read almost all articles in this thread and I'm really astonished
about the excellent support !  I didn't expect this...

For my personal point of view I would like to summarize the features, which should be
optimized in the next firmware:

1. Cummulatice Error in lap function:
    I also had this problem in all of my tests up to now. As explained earlier, this can be solved
    by a modified calculation suggested by Longjog. Based on the current used formular the
    problems increases with higher speed. Today I used the watch in my car, and at the end
    of a 45 km trip the clock did show only 42 laps !

2. Memory full handling:
    I think the best method for solving the full memory problem is to provide an additional
    Setup / Configuration option, which allows to select either to overwrite old data or to
    stop saving new data.

3. Heart Rate Monitor:
    I didn't test this function very much - however I have the feeling the GH 625 shows a
    heart rate, which is somehow higher than expected.  I also saw the heart rate slowly
    stepping up, when I started the watch with the belt having not an optimum contact.
    For these kind of problems, I would suggest to signal the heart beat received by the
    watch by a blinking heart symbol.

4.  Auto Lap by Position:
    I also think a function like lap by postition could by very useful:  I often use a track around a
    small lake for my running training. And because it's small, I run it several times.
    If I could set the Start position as a auto lap position, the lap would be counted automatically
    when I pass the start point again. For my personal use in this case the inaccuracy of +/- 15m
    are not interesting. Of course the lap should count only once, even when I move slowly
    through the +/- 15m area around the start point.

5. Virtual Trainer:
   This would be a really great feature !  As said earlier by others, I can imagine to enter a
   setpoint in terms of time for 1km, or for a whole distance like 42km and then watch a
   virtual partner running 100 or 200m in front of me (or even better: behind me).
   I could also imagine to load some old training data (track and times) into the watch
   and to use this data to compare to my next training.
   I think, the basic tools for such a function are already available in the watch.
   It is just a questions of combining them in a rigth way...

6. German language:
   As you might have guessed from my strange wording, my native language is German.
   And I found that the translation for German menus is sometime not very good !
   This applies as well to the watch itself but also to the GS Gym Software.
   In the meantime I switched back to the English version in order to understand the
   functions better !
   Maybe it is possible to post an excel sheet or something similar containing the
   English / German terms and some of the forum users have a look at the translation
   and try to optimize it. I would also like to help in this job !

Best regards and sorry for writing such a long posting.
I will try to shorten it next time !

Hubert

Dear Hubert,

Thanks so much for so many useful comments and suggestions! We will investigate and try to improve in next release if possible.
For Virtual Trainer, we are going to add this feature into our next watch, but for GH-625, we can't implement due to memory limition.

We have excel file for muti-language, it is highly appreciated if you would like to correct.
Please let me know if you have any advice.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey  :)

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2009, 01:45:43 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

I have no idea of how auto lap by position could be done. But as Hubert said a +/- 15 error might be ok. At least if the track isn't to short. That would be a circular track. For instance I have track of 2km round a lake at home. But I guess this could be hard to implement. If you are unlucky and have a bad reception you might miss one lap and get one that is twice the distance.

Kind regards
Johan

Hello Johan

Maybe add it into LAP SETTING page, append AUTO LAP TRIGGEWR like:

AUTO LAP TRIGGER
--------------------
START POINT TRIGGER
ON
     WAYPOINT SELECT

OFF

Any comment?

Geoffrey

johan_ande

• Regular Members
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:37 am »

Hi,

Yeah, why not? Sounds like a good idea. I guess you mean that you record a WP or something for start of lap?

This way you will not get exact laps but instead you will not get accumulated errors when running multiple laps.

Kind regards
Johan

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2010, 05:37:50 pm »

And i have one suggestion for a new version, if is possibile  :) !
Configure a personal training session, for example:
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
etc.

In details create a loop for x times (es. 4 or 5 ... times).
I think that this function for the new runners is very important.
Thx Ezio

I agree with Ezio. And it should be doable from training gym. Noone can be bothered setting that in the watch.
And there should of course be other parameters as well like pace and distance.

Best regards,
Anders

Oh... and dotracing for the training gym!

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »

...also heart rate as parameter of course!  :)

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:00 am »

And i have one suggestion for a new version, if is possibile  :) !
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
  • Set 10 min of running
  • Set 3 Min of walking
etc.

I think that this function for the new runners is very important.
Thx Ezio

I agree with Ezio. And it should be doable from training gym. Noone can be bothered setting that in the watch.

Best regards,
Anders

Hi Anders,

It is a good idea and looks like "interval training".
We have built up the technology and we have to evaluate the memory and code size on the platform.
Because MCU is the most limition. ;)
In GH-625XT, it is surely no problem.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:00 am »

Quote from: AndersBrontosaurus

Best regards,
Anders

Hi Anders,

We have built up the technology and we have to evaluate the memory and code size on the platform.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Yes. Nerdy intervaltraining is the target. Also pulse would be essential of course, bur you already knew that.

Also softwareupdate would be nice for intervalevaluation. Yesterday i ran 2 km warmup and then went for intervaltraining in a short skislope. Then slow jog in order to "calm down". Used laps in order to keep track on intense parts and slow parts of the training but found no really convenient way to compare the different intense parts (laps) with each other regarding speed and time....and pulse when I get the HRM working....

Best regards,
Anders

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:16 am »

Quote from: AndersBrontosaurus

Best regards,
Anders

Hi Anders,

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Yes. Nerdy intervaltraining is the target. Also pulse would be essential of course, bur you already knew that.

Also softwareupdate would be nice for intervalevaluation. Yesterday i ran 2 km warmup and then went for intervaltraining in a short skislope. Then slow jog in order to "calm down". Used laps in order to keep track on intense parts and slow parts of the training but found no really convenient way to compare the different intense parts (laps) with each other regarding speed and time....and pulse when I get the HRM working....

Best regards,
Anders

Hi Anders,

Thanks for information. I wanna some clarification:
Does treat the each sigment of training as individual lap? And is the time counting of each training the trigger point?

Regards,

Geoffrey  :D

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2010, 07:53:10 am »

Set 10 min of running
Set 3 Min of walking
Set 10 min of running
Set 3 Min of walking
Set 10 min of running
Set 3 Min of walking
etc.

To make it perfect make the following parameters configurable:
1. Number of intervalls
2. select heartrate-zone for running and recovery
3. alternative for peselection of duration preselection of distance

An other idea is to implement such an intervall-training in the virtual trainer- function (like GH-505 has). Hereby the runningspeed is taken as parameter while the stress-phase instead of  heartrate-zone. The distance to the trainer should be shown on the display

Happy-coocking

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 18 queries.