For Serial Interfacing, the MAX202 could possibly work with our device. Just let us know how it goes.
As for GPS Programming, it is possible to configure the device to only output specific sentences. Since you only want the position and UTC, you need to enable the GLL (Latitude, longitude, UTC time of position fix and status) and RMC (Time, date, position, course and speed data). For more information about NMEA, refer to this document: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/NMEA_commands.pdf
To enable the GLL and RMC on the device, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install this software: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/SiRFDemo387.zip
2. Open up the Sirf Demo software.
3. Connect your device, choose the correct COM port, and select the 4800 baud rate.
4. Go to Action > Open Data Source.
5. Next, go to Action > Switch to SiRF Protocol.
6. Then, go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol.
7. In the NMEA Setup window, select 1 for GLL and RMC and set the rest to 0.
8. Choose the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.
9. In the Debug View - NMEA window, you will only see the GLL and RMC sentences.
You can test out the device with our GPSInfo Utility (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/vista_32bit_gps_info_utility.zip
) to see if it's working properly.
Note: Be sure not to click on anything else in this software, as you can render your device unusable. Moreover, the device will return to its default settings once the internal battery drains when it is removed from power.