USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BU-353 with Linux OS  (Read 13247 times)

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
BU-353 with Linux OS
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »

Since Linux has several versions, we're not able to confirm that it works with all of them. However, there is a way that the BU-353 can possibly work with some versions. We have tested this device on our computer using Fedora 11 Kernel 2.6.30.5 with this command in the Terminal:

su root

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB0
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:08:55 pm by USG_TECH10 »

netthink

Re: BU-353 with Linux OS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:42:22 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to interface w/the BU-353 from linux. It seems to be working, but I only receive binary output. How do I translate this to ASCII NMEA sentences?

% stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttyUSB0

produces:

h/~����[)-#�&��&iW+�����   R����)-��E𰳠�      y�`�����-��Ew���6#�'.̰���4���������������   �

Thanks!

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:34 pm »

Please try using this command again:

su root

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB0

Make sure to insert a space between cat < and /.

Also, what is the status of the LED? Is it steady off or on?

tonyabad

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I came across this same issue recently and thought that I would post the solution.

The first thing to note is that gpsd will try and configure whatever gps receiver you plug in to optimize its performance.  In the case of the BU-353, it will automatically flip the receiver from NMEA to SIRF III binary.  So, assuming that you want to read NMEA from the serial port, and that you have gpsd running, then the following steps are necessary:

1. Stop the current gpsd process: killall gpsd
2. Plug in the BU-353
3. Figure out where the gps was loaded: tail dmesg | grep ttyUSB (this will spit out something like /dev/ttyUSB0...note the location).
4. Switch the receiver from binary to nmea (using the result from step 3): gpsctl -f -n /dev/ttyUSB0.
5. Configure the serial port (using the result from step 3): stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 (8n1 should be configured by default).

Now, if you listen to the port (echo /dev/ttyUSB0), then you should see the NMEA ASCII messages.

If you want to use gpsd, but you want to keep the device configured to output NMEA, then you have to run gpsd in read only mode.  For example, gpsd -b /dev/ttyUSB0.

Hope this helps someone,

Tony

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:53:54 pm »

Hello tonyabad,

Welcome to the forums! Thank you for your detailed suggestions. We appreciate you for sharing those.

Just let us know if you have any questions. Thanks.

tdbone1

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »

i have a dual boot system (ubuntu 12.04 amd 64) and (windows 7 64bit)
i have the BU-353

i was having so much problems with this device remembering (battery and bios) bad settings i finally had to take the battery out.
I AM GLAD I DID THAT!
instead of waiting for 3 days everytime the device freaks out because of a bad baud settings i now only have to wait for one minute

if i am in windows 7 at the desktop and then plug the gps in it will light red and then 10mins later i have a flashing red light and google earth works fine.i
everything works great in windows 7

if i boot to ubuntu 12.04 or backtrack 5r3 64 bit i have a steady red light and no setting i do will make it flash
i have been messing with gpsd and gpsctl forever
i have used both the pre-built packages that come with my distro and also i have "built" my own
i have used gpsd everywhich way you can
i have used dpkg-reconfigure gps and i have used manual 'gpsd -b' and 'gpsd -n' along with /dev/ttyUSB0

anyhow i can see the NMEA data and gpsmon works in both nmea and sirf modes BUT not SATELITE DATA
if i do the command you said
"stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB0"
its the same thing i can read the data but just no satelite data or red flashing light
so here is what i would like
i completely removed gpsd and gpsd-clients
i just want the commands (serial commands) to switch from binary or nmea modes
and i would like the command to make the device start to ACQUIRE satelites.

thanks

just wanted to add this:
$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.2.4_3.1.00.12-SDK003P1.00a
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-0701301

one more thing i would like to add
since i do not have the battery in my device it always takes a long time to get a "FIX" in windows.
is there anyway to modify the bios to have my current position set as default somewhere?
im close to 40 and -91
thanks
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:46:35 pm by tdbone1 »

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:30 pm »

i have a dual boot system (ubuntu 12.04 amd 64) and (windows 7 64bit)
i have the BU-353
Thanks for providing the operating systems and versions.

i was having so much problems with this device remembering (battery and bios) bad settings i finally had to take the battery out.
I AM GLAD I DID THAT!
instead of waiting for 3 days everytime the device freaks out because of a bad baud settings i now only have to wait for one minute
What battery are you referring to? Are you referring to the magnet at the bottom of the bottom of the device? Or, is it the supercap inside the unit?
Please provide some pictures/images.

if i am in windows 7 at the desktop and then plug the gps in it will light red and then 10mins later i have a flashing red light and google earth works fine.i
everything works great in windows 7
Good to hear that it's working fine with Windows 7.

if i boot to ubuntu 12.04 or backtrack 5r3 64 bit i have a steady red light and no setting i do will make it flash
i have been messing with gpsd and gpsctl forever
i have used both the pre-built packages that come with my distro and also i have "built" my own
i have used gpsd everywhich way you can
i have used dpkg-reconfigure gps and i have used manual 'gpsd -b' and 'gpsd -n' along with /dev/ttyUSB0

anyhow i can see the NMEA data and gpsmon works in both nmea and sirf modes BUT not SATELITE DATA
if i do the command you said
"stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB0"
its the same thing i can read the data but just no satelite data or red flashing light
so here is what i would like
i completely removed gpsd and gpsd-clients
Just to confirm, the main problem that you're having is the unit not getting a fix or acquiring satellites?
Is that the only issue you have with the device?

i just want the commands (serial commands) to switch from binary or nmea modes
and i would like the command to make the device start to ACQUIRE satelites.

thanks
Please refer to this document for the commands to switch back to NMEA protocol or to SiRF protocol (starting on page 2-2):
http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/NMEA_commands.pdf

In order to reset the device and able to get a fix, please send the command below:
Cold Start - $PSRF101,0,0,0,0,0,0,12,4*10

just wanted to add this:
$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.2.4_3.1.00.12-SDK003P1.00a
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-0701301
Thanks for providing the firmware version. Can you please register your product and generate a support ticket?
Please refer to your email for further instructions about this.

one more thing i would like to add
since i do not have the battery in my device it always takes a long time to get a "FIX" in windows.
is there anyway to modify the bios to have my current position set as default somewhere?
im close to 40 and -91
thanks
Just wondering, are you referring to the supercap in the device when you took out the battery?

Another thing, what do you mean by modifying the BIOS to have your current position set as default somewhere?
Can you please provide more details about this?

tdbone1

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

ok thanks for your reply.

yes i pulled the cap (it looks like a small watch battery with two leads coming off of it)

i am still glad i pulled it out as before i was having major problems getting the red light to come on.

since i will be in linux and will have gpsd "removed" and i will only be using stty and minicom where do i enter those commands you gave me?

could you give me an example of a complete line or if i do the command in another app what app is it?
thanks

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »

yes i pulled the cap (it looks like a small watch battery with two leads coming off of it)
Can you please provide a picture of the cap you've taken out of the device?

i am still glad i pulled it out as before i was having major problems getting the red light to come on.
If you've taken out the supercap, then, the device would go through Cold Start everytime. For more details about the Cold Start process, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4275.0
Since you've been using the device with Linux, it's likely that it switched to SiRF Mode (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3413.msg8820#msg8820) and that's why the red LED would not turn on.
Also, since you have tampered with the device (by taking out the cap), in doing so voids the warranty (http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-131-terms-conditions.aspx#12).

since i will be in linux and will have gpsd "removed" and i will only be using stty and minicom where do i enter those commands you gave me?

could you give me an example of a complete line or if i do the command in another app what app is it?
thanks
About this, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.msg13222#msg13222

tdbone1

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:46 am »

Can you please provide a picture of the cap you've taken out of the device?
no need for picture (i for sure pulled the supercap)
If you've taken out the supercap, then, the device would go through Cold Start everytime. For more details about the Cold Start process, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4275.0
I did take out the supercap and wouldnt it go through "Factory Reset" everytime which takes longer then a cold boot?

Since you've been using the device with Linux, it's likely that it switched to SiRF Mode (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3413.msg8820#msg8820) and that's why the red LED would not turn on.
I contacted support about my firmware and they sent me a link to instruction how to flash and the new firmware. now i get no red light at all (in sirf or nmea modes).
please help as im not sure if i flashed it wrong or if its the wrong firmware.

Also, since you have tampered with the device (by taking out the cap), in doing so voids the warranty (http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-131-terms-conditions.aspx#12).
Yep i am aware of this. got to do what i got to do to get it working.

thanks
About this, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.msg13222#msg13222

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

Alright, thanks for confirming that it's the supercap.

Regarding the difference between Factory Reset and Cold Start, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4057.msg11652#msg11652

As for the firmware, please check your email for our response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 18 queries.