USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505  (Read 12130 times)

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
Re: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 03:36:58 am »

Hi all,

today I made a challenging test of the cumulative error with distance based auto lap (1km).

As cumulative error adds the normal GPS errors caused by GPS inaccuracy, a possible cumulation will
be more obvious, when there are a lot of large GPS errors. And those can be achieved with a fast
movement. So I took my watch with me in my car and drove about 54 km.

I had done the same test in the early days of GH-625 with one of the first firmware versions.
At that time there was a huge cumulation, which resulted in a total distance of 54 km and only 51 lap
counted (or something similar - I don't remember exactly).

This time with GH-505 it was PERFECT !

I watched the laps counting and even when there was a big GPS error from time to time,
the next lap was okay again. Finally I think, there was a total error of only 10 or 20m.
Perfect !  This is what I wanted to have. Thank you ever much !

Oops ! I nearly forgot one amazing thing: On my way there was a long tunnel (1.8 km), where GPS was lost.
While driving through, I was sure, that the watch wouldn't be able to handle this correctly.
But it did ! As soon as I left the tunnel, the last lap was ended. Of course this lap was much too long
(I have to check the exact value), but soon after that, the next lap was only 200 or 300m to correct the
error of the previous ! Very good !

Regards, Hubert
GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326

abdominizer

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:13 am »

Here are my first impressions of the GH-505

Design
My first impression of the GH-505 is that has a square or box design very different from the more rounded design of the GH-625. The size doesn’t differ much from the GH-625 when looking at the watch, it has almost the same height and thickness but is about a centimeter less in width. The width though makes a lot of difference when wearing the GH-505, on my arm it feels a lot less bulky. I have rather thin wrists and the GH-505 fits me better than the GH-625 because its narrower and has a more symmetrical design underneath. The strap is very long and I use the second hole from the inside to get a good fit but the excess strap is not in the way. The GH-505 is not the most stylish watch I have ever seen but its apperance grows on me and I think it looks a bit retro, like the first digital watches in the 70s ant 80s in a larger format.

Unpacking and charging the GH-505
The GH-505 came in a very nicely designed box (pictures in another thread). Inside the box there was the watch, HRM chestbelt, USB charging clip, cycle mount, quick start guide and a CD with the software, all neatly packaged. My initial charge from emty battery to full lasted 2 hours 20 minutes.

Buttons
There are 6 buttons on the GH-505, 2 on each side and 2 on the front. The buttons are large but you have to press them in the centre. If you press to far out to the edge nothing will happen. I think this might be a problenm especially when running and creating a lap or stopping the watch it is important that the buttons respond correctly. Maybe I just have to get used to the buttons, I might not see this as a problem after a while. There is also a slight delay in the buttons or in the software, when you press it takes half a second before the display changes. I don’t like this, I want the change to be instant like in the GH-625. I hope this can be changed by software!

Display
The display is small, especially compared to the overall size of the GH-505. I would have liked the display to be a little bit larger, filling out more of the front surface of the watch.
The contrast and resolution are very good and this makes up for the smaller size. I have no problems reading the display when running even when it is separated into 4 fields, but I think people with a little impaired eysight will have problems with the small font and will be forced to use only two fields to be able to read it. The lap page has a very small font and is very hard to read while running. This needs to be changed, the lap page could fill the entire screen and have digits twice as big!

Functions
The user of the GH-615 and GH-625 will be familiar with the functions of the GH-505, not much is changed and the menus look almost the same but with a better graphic. New functions are the virtual trainer and the multisports which are found under the Gym menu. I will test these functions later. Here I miss the interval workout features, I hope they will be implemented soon!

Heartrate monitor
The chestbelt has a good fit and the heartrate readings are smooth without any dropouts or spikes and it reacts fast to changes in heartrate.

First testrun
After charging the battrey I took my old Gh-625 and the new GH-505 on a test run, wearing both wathces on the same arm. I had set the autolaps to 1km on both watches and customized the pages of the GH-505 to keep track of HR and pace which together with the autolap functuion were my main test objectives for this first run.

I ran my 10km (correctly measured) route starting in a 4 min/km pace. During the run I increased the pace several times in a kind of fartlek to test how the pace function was reacting. In the steady pace at the start both watches showed almost the same pace but when increasing the pace the GH-625 responded faster than the GH-505. I think the GH-505 has a longer distance for averaging the pace. This Is not necessarily good or bad, but it produced different pace values in the watches. I use the pace for keeping a steady pace in tempo runs and to pace myself running long intervals. In the steady pace tempo runs there will be no difference in the GH-505 from the GH-625. On the intervals I might prefer a faster response to increased pace, I will have to test this!

The autolap function in the GH-505 is working great, there is no cumulation of error like in the GH-625. Each lap of 1000m was alerted on the right place, I studied the distance as the laps were aproaching and they were never more the 10 meters off, very good! The laps recorded in the GH-505 was: 1009, 995, 1005, 996, 994, 1007, 998, 996, 1000, 1000. the laps recorded in the GH-625 was: 1019, 1002, 1018, 998, 1002, 1007, 996, 1015, 994, 989 (Stopped watch before last lap alert). The GH-505 laps add upp to exactly 10.000m (!!!) while the gh-625 laps add up to 10.040m even though the last lap was not finished.

Measured distance was exactly the same in both watches. They measured my 10.000m run to 10.050m. A 0,5% difference which is good. In my previous runs on this route my GH-625 usually show a distance that is 0,3 – 0,5% off real distance.

The HR-monitor worked perfectly througout my run, no dropouts or spikes, just a smooth curve that responded quickly when I increased or decreased my pace.

That’s it for now! I will post more in the other threads later!

Sincerely,
Jonas

GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
GH-505 #00006, Firmware: F-0TH-0C-1005061 (Version 2.0)
Sporttracks Version 2.1.3465
GS-Sport Gym Version 2.1, GS-Sport Gym Pro V.1.2

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 10:21:32 am »

Again here data from specification (with all options "On") :
   - Battery Life GH-625:   10 h   Charging empty to full:  3,0 h
   - Battery Life GH-505:   08 h   Charging empty to full:  2,5 h

Are you really sure about this? It would mean the new one has a shorter battery life!
Hi,

I also was astonished and a little bit disappointed, although for me personal it's not really a problem,
because I very seldom use my watch this long time. For me it's not a problem. But maybe for others.

However - maybe I misunderstood the specification. Here is the original text from GlobalSat WebSite:

GH-625:
11 hours (3D fix, GPS on; HRM & Backlight off)
10 hours (3D fix, GPS, HRM & Backlight on)
21 hours (GPS, HRM off; Backlight off)
For M types

GH-505:
GPS on (no fixed); Backlight off ≧9 hours
GPS on (3D fixed); Backlight on ≧8 hours
Watch Mode Over 7 days

I picked the two colored lines, because they seem to have the same conditions.

Regards, Hubert

Hi Hubert,

It seems be something wrong. The orginal specification of GH-505 is:

GH-625:
11 hours (3D fix, GPS on; HRM & Backlight off)
10 hours (3D fix, GPS, HRM & Backlight on)
21 hours (GPS, HRM off; Backlight off)
For M types

GH-505:
GPS on (no fixed); Backlight off ≧8 hours
GPS on (3D fixed); Backlight on ≧9 hours
Watch Mode Over 7 days

The battery life is conservative estimation. In my case, the testing is over 10 hours.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:32:26 am by TWG_TECH4 »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:57 am »

Hello Hubert,
you are right with the price. But i hoped, that the new watch would be more competitive in the technical points. So i am a little bit disappointed.

Hi Snow_Freak

Don't be disappoint!
Even the size of display is small, but we use Qualcomm new technology display.
It is reflective and high performance LCD and should be able to make up for the weakness of size.

About the features, comparison to GH-505 and FR305:
Weakness:
- Interval Training (Will implement later)
- Battery life (10hrs vs 12hrs)

Strength:
- Smart Trackback
- Configurable by PC SW
- UTM support
- 50bar water resstance
- Watch mode

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 10:30:50 am »

Hi all,

today I made a challenging test of the cumulative error with distance based auto lap (1km).

As cumulative error adds the normal GPS errors caused by GPS inaccuracy, a possible cumulation will
be more obvious, when there are a lot of large GPS errors. And those can be achieved with a fast
movement. So I took my watch with me in my car and drove about 54 km.

I had done the same test in the early days of GH-625 with one of the first firmware versions.
At that time there was a huge cumulation, which resulted in a total distance of 54 km and only 51 lap
counted (or something similar - I don't remember exactly).

This time with GH-505 it was PERFECT !

I watched the laps counting and even when there was a big GPS error from time to time,
the next lap was okay again. Finally I think, there was a total error of only 10 or 20m.
Perfect !  This is what I wanted to have. Thank you ever much !

Oops ! I nearly forgot one amazing thing: On my way there was a long tunnel (1.8 km), where GPS was lost.
While driving through, I was sure, that the watch wouldn't be able to handle this correctly.
But it did ! As soon as I left the tunnel, the last lap was ended. Of course this lap was much too long
(I have to check the exact value), but soon after that, the next lap was only 200 or 300m to correct the
error of the previous ! Very good !

Regards, Hubert

Hi Hubert,

That's great!
It proves Hubert' Formula work perfect! Thanks for providing so excellent idea! :D
We also paid a lot of time to improve the Lap and distance calculation in order to improve the previous problem of GH-625.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »

Hi Hubert,

It seems be something wrong. The orginal specification of GH-505 is:

GH-505:
GPS on (no fixed); Backlight off ≧8 hours
GPS on (3D fixed); Backlight on ≧9 hours
Watch Mode Over 7 days

The battery life is conservative estimation. In my case, the testing is over 10 hours.

Sincerely, Geoffrey
Hi Geoffrey,

of course - I don't know, which specification is correct. Maybe yours is okay.
What I posted here was a copy of your website:
http://www.gs-sport.com/products.php?en_product_id=1

If this is wrong... maybe you want to update the information.

However - I did a test by myself and discharged the battery from completely full to empty.
I'm not sure about the GPS fix. It was there when I started, but I know that the GPS signal
is weak at this place (indoor). So maybe it was lost during test.
However - it took 9.5 hours to empty the battery completely (watch turned off).

Regards, Hubert

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »

It proves Hubert' Formula work perfect! Thanks for providing so excellent idea! :D

You're welcome. My pleasure. I will always keep providing the best services to GlobalSat.  8) ;D

Regards, Hubert

abdominizer

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

I got my GH-505 to record for 9 hours 45 minutes with 3D fix in +6 degrees Celcuis and rain, you won't get conditions much worse than that...

Regards,
Jonas

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:32 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

in the meantime there were already a lot of postings about tests, questions, problems, suggestions and ideas.
Some of those are just for information, others would need some answers or feedback.

It seems, that in the last days you were not able to read/answer all postings. And I understand, that you have
other or more things to do than to write postings in the forum. On the other hand it would be nice to have
some feedback from your point of view. So I would like to ask you, (if you find some time) to re-read the
postings and to give some comments.
I don't want to repeat all the different subjects here, because I think all are very interesting and need further
discussions. Of course there is one really important one, which needs an answer: Ultrapetita's problem after
FW update !  It's not only important for him. I'm also interested in an explanation, how this could happen,
how it can be avoided and what to do if it happens.
But also the others subjects need some comments, otherwise I'm afraid discussions might get stuck.

Please do not misunderstand: I really like your support ! It's excellent ! No doubt about it ! I have never seen
anything better than that.  I just want to remind you, that you might have overseen one or more postings
because you have been busy or not available.

Regards, Hubert

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:51 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

in the meantime there were already a lot of postings about tests, questions, problems, suggestions and ideas.
Some of those are just for information, others would need some answers or feedback.

It seems, that in the last days you were not able to read/answer all postings. And I understand, that you have
other or more things to do than to write postings in the forum. On the other hand it would be nice to have
some feedback from your point of view. So I would like to ask you, (if you find some time) to re-read the
postings and to give some comments.
I don't want to repeat all the different subjects here, because I think all are very interesting and need further
discussions. Of course there is one really important one, which needs an answer: Ultrapetita's problem after
FW update !  It's not only important for him. I'm also interested in an explanation, how this could happen,
how it can be avoided and what to do if it happens.
But also the others subjects need some comments, otherwise I'm afraid discussions might get stuck.

Please do not misunderstand: I really like your support ! It's excellent ! No doubt about it ! I have never seen
anything better than that.  I just want to remind you, that you might have overseen one or more postings
because you have been busy or not available.

Regards, Hubert

Hi Hubert,

I am just very busy recently and not have enough to go through the all detail.
But it is really appreciated for your all kind supports and some comments are in processing without my feedback.

About Ultrapetita's failed to updated problem, we have answer how to recover it.
You might see the detail in http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1222.0

In this week, one important customer vist us for the further GPS projects. It would be very interesting for personal training ;) You will see more and more Globalsat inside products in coming year. :D

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

ultrapetita

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:46 am »

I try to list here some first ideas of the GH-505 even if I have had only limited testing so far:

General impression:
-Look and feel is very familiar for a 625-user, no need to look at the manual
-First test round the 1st 0.5km lap was measured exactly right and the route was accurate (rest of the route was not very clear as it was mainly playing with my children on a playing yard)

Bugs&Proposals:
-Watch mode did not work according to the Quick Guide v.2.0. - page+down is the correct key combination for entering and exiting the watch mode
   -In analog mode, could there be date shown in the lower bar next to battery indicator?
   -How about a shortcut to toggle between analog/digital?

-A new (maybe somebody has already proposed) idea: could there be a scan of 2 custom pages shown during the training, e.g. 1-2seconds each? Sometimes you would like to see more than 4 variables continuously during the training. E.g. 1) total time, distance, AVG HR, AVG Pace, and 2) Lap Count, Lap Pace, Lap time, HR.

-PC SW: 4 field custom page definition - the fields are in wrong order (transposing needed)
   -Lap page information can not be saved in PC SW (and bigger font needed when showing them in the watch!!)

...the real tests will start today and tomorrow...

abdominizer

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »

-A new (maybe somebody has already proposed) idea: could there be a scan of 2 custom pages shown during the training, e.g. 1-2seconds each? Sometimes you would like to see more than 4 variables continuously during the training. E.g. 1) total time, distance, AVG HR, AVG Pace, and 2) Lap Count, Lap Pace, Lap time, HR.

I really like this suggestion, the smaller screen of the GH-505 is best suited to show only two fields, a scan of two custom pages would give four fields with good visibility! Good suggestion Ultrapetia!

Sincerely,
Jonas

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 04:22:20 am »

Hi all,

I'm not so sure, if I like this suggestion. I see a problem, that sometimes you will have to wait 2-3 sec.,
until your intended values are being displayed.
I have a similar problem, when looking at the map mode of smart track back. Everytime, when I look
at the watch, the screen was just cleared and starting new. So I always have to wait 2-3 sec.
until the information, I wanted to see, is being displayed. And sometimes, this can be a long time...

However - I think, if this is going to be implemented, it would be for sure an option.
And if I don't like it, I could disable it.
So maybe finally it is a good suggestion, so that we could try, if it is usable or not.

Regards, Hubert

ultrapetita

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 11:06:24 am »

I'm not so sure, if I like this suggestion. I see a problem, that sometimes you will have to wait 2-3 sec.,
until your intended values are being displayed.
I have a similar problem, when looking at the map mode of smart track back. Everytime, when I look
at the watch, the screen was just cleared and starting new. So I always have to wait 2-3 sec.
until the information, I wanted to see, is being displayed. And sometimes, this can be a long time...

However - I think, if this is going to be implemented, it would be for sure an option.
And if I don't like it, I could disable it.
So maybe finally it is a good suggestion, so that we could try, if it is usable or not.

Regards, Hubert

Hi Hubert,

Sure, I proposed this as an option. I will not usually need this feature, but e.g. in longer races on short track it would be nice to see e.g. lap related information and totals without selecting the correct pages back and forth.

As well, one motivation is, like Abdominizer said, that you could use bigger fonts /2-3 fields/page.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »

Hi Hubert,

Sure, I proposed this as an option. I will not usually need this feature, but e.g. in longer races on short track it would be nice to see e.g. lap related information and totals without selecting the correct pages back and forth.

As well, one motivation is, like Abdominizer said, that you could use bigger fonts /2-3 fields/page.

Hello,

please don´t forget it´s possible to switch between the custom defined windows manualy! I´m doing so, if I need an information from an other window.

Regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 18 queries.