I opened this thread to post some of my first impressions of my test sample of the GH-505.
And I would like to invite the other testers to post their feedback here also.
I'm not sure, where to start... because there are really a lot of impressions.
Even in this short time. It arrived about 5 hours ago !
Before I start: Did I promise to tell only positive impressions about my gift ?
I don't think so. And I think, it would not make any sense. Because one of the ideas of
this forum is to optimize the products and therefore it should be allowed to mention problems.
Okay - now I start:
* Outside appearance and handling:
- The GH-505 doesn't look as bulky as the GH-625 did.
Although the lenght (from bottom to top) is nearly the same, it is smaller in width
(from left to right). I think, thickness is nearly identical.
- The buttons don't need as much power for pressing than those on GH-625.
I'm not sure, whether I like this or not.
- The display is much smaller than the old one
Of course, if customers are asking for
non-bulky watches, the displays have to become smaller - I know that.
But for me some information is nearly unreadable, especially during training.
- On the other hand the display type and background color / contrast is much better than
the old one. So it is very good readable. So as a summary, I would say: Display is okay.
- Charging needs a special charging clip. I would have prefered some kind of a standard
USB connector, but I think this wasn't possible because of the water proof standard.
And I have the feeling, charging needs much more time than with GH-625.
I will have to check this.
- As a first test, I made two runs today. First one was to see, whether the old and already
known functions are still there, modified, optimized... whatever.
- As a summary I can say, that an Gh-625 user will soon feel familiar with the new watch.
Well known functions with an already known handling concept.
There are not so much changes.
- You have to get used to the front buttons. I think they are a good idea.
- Customs displays are looking different. For a 4-Value screen you will get 4 quarters of a screen
instead of four lines. I think this is because of the changed format of the display.
- I am a runner and so my first priority are functions related to running. I think, I will leave
functions intended for swimmers or bikers to other testers.
* Heart Rate Monitor:
- During my first test I took both watches with me, the old GH-625 and the new GH-505
to see the differences:
GH-505 heart rate looks really good
. Although I considered GH-625 as okay, it sometimes
still showed some peaks. GH-505 did not. This is really an improvement !
* Virtual Trainer:
- My second test run was to check the virtual trainer.
- I like the idea o this function... however, the trainer is not yet my friend
- I think, this will become a longer and more detailed discussion. So I think, it makes more
sense to create a seperate thread for it.
* GPS Functions:
- First start of GH-505 took about 30sec. for satellite finding, while GH-625 was ready in 5 sec.
But I think, this was a "cold start". After switching both watches off and after a while on,
both were ready in about 3-4 sec. Very good !
- I was very astonished that my two watches didn't show the same distance during running
The GH-505 did show 40-50m more all the time. I noticed this when first lap finished
(first on 505. later on 625) and this remained the same during the total run.
I will have to check this again...
- Smart track back works like before. However - here the smaller display is more painful here.
The part for the bread crumb trail is really small. For low speed okay, for faster moving
(like bike) I have doubts about the visibility.
- What else... ?
* GS Training Gym Pro:
- Installation worked perfect and fast. No problem. Excellent.
- Functions are similar to those known for GS Training Gym, but there is one big advantage:
- Watch settings can be performed/saved/loaded by PC ! I really like that.
Thank you for this functions.
I have missed that before.
- There seems to be a problem with loading of track data using the virtual trainer.
I will tell more about this in a separate thread.
I'm sure there was more to tell... But I will make a break here, otherwise no one is going to
See you later, Hubert