USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505  (Read 12381 times)

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Hi all,

I opened this thread to post some of my first impressions of my test sample of the GH-505.
And I would like to invite the other testers to post their feedback here also.

I'm not sure, where to start... because there are really a lot of impressions.
Even in this short time. It arrived about 5 hours ago ! 

Before I start: Did I promise to tell only positive impressions about my gift ? ::)
I don't think so. And I think, it would not make any sense. Because one of the ideas of
this forum is to optimize the products and therefore it should be allowed to mention problems.

Okay - now I start:

* Outside appearance and handling:
   - The GH-505 doesn't look as bulky as the GH-625 did.
     Although the lenght (from bottom to top) is nearly the same, it is smaller in width
     (from left to right). I think, thickness is nearly identical.
  - The buttons don't need as much power for pressing than those on GH-625.
     I'm not sure, whether I like this or not.
  - The display is much smaller than the old one  :( Of course, if customers are asking for
     non-bulky watches, the displays have to become smaller - I know that.
     But for me some information is nearly unreadable, especially during training.
  - On the other hand the display type and background color / contrast is much better than
    the old one. So it is very good readable. So as a summary, I would say: Display is okay.
  - Charging needs a special charging clip. I would have prefered some kind of a standard
    USB connector, but I think this wasn't possible because of the water proof standard.
    And I have the feeling, charging needs much more time than with GH-625.
    I will have to check this.

* Functions:
   - As a first test, I made two runs today. First one was to see, whether the old and already
     known functions are still there, modified, optimized... whatever.
   - As a summary I can say, that an Gh-625 user will soon feel familiar with the new watch.
     Well known functions with an already known handling concept.
     There are not so much changes.
   - You have to get used to the front buttons. I think they are a good idea.
   - Customs displays are looking different. For a 4-Value screen you will get 4 quarters of a screen
     instead of four lines. I think this is because of the changed format of the display.
   - I am a runner and so my first priority are functions related to running. I think, I will leave
     functions intended for swimmers or bikers to other testers.

* Heart Rate Monitor:
   - During my first test I took both watches with me, the old GH-625 and the new GH-505
     to see the differences:
     GH-505 heart rate looks really good  :D . Although I considered GH-625 as okay, it sometimes
     still showed some peaks. GH-505 did not. This is really an improvement !

* Virtual Trainer:
  - My second test run was to check the virtual trainer.
  - I like the idea o this function... however, the trainer is not yet my friend  :-\
  - I think, this will become a longer and more detailed discussion. So I think, it makes more
    sense to create a seperate thread for it.

* GPS Functions:
   - First start of GH-505 took about 30sec. for satellite finding, while GH-625 was ready in 5 sec.
     But I think, this was a "cold start". After switching both watches off and after a while on,
     both were ready in about 3-4 sec. Very good !  :D
   - I was very astonished that my two watches didn't show the same distance during running  ::)
     The GH-505 did show 40-50m more all the time. I noticed this when first lap finished
     (first on 505. later on 625) and this remained the same during the total run.
     I will have to check this again...
   - Smart track back works like before. However - here the smaller display is more painful here.
     The part for the bread crumb trail is really small. For low speed okay, for faster moving
     (like bike) I have doubts about the visibility.
   - What else... ?

* GS Training Gym Pro:
   - Installation worked perfect and fast. No problem. Excellent.
   - Functions are similar to those known for GS Training Gym, but there is one big advantage:
   - Watch settings can be performed/saved/loaded by PC !  I really like that.
     Thank you for this functions.  :D  I have missed that before.
   - There seems to be a problem with loading of track data using the virtual trainer.
      I will tell more about this in a separate thread.

I'm sure there was more to tell...  But I will make a break here, otherwise no one is going to
read this  ;)

See you later, Hubert
GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326

zingo

• zingo.org
Re: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:02:33 pm »

- Charging needs a special charging clip. I would have prefered some kind of a standard
    USB connector, but I think this wasn't possible because of the water proof standard.
Do you think the charging can be done on the go, e.g. will the clip "lock" to the watch and I can still wear it routing the cable to a USB Charger?

fabiopt

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »

Hello Hubert, you mentioned the display it's a little bit small, is it difficult to see wich function? The chrono, the HRM, the distance? I'm asking this because when i do workouts at 400m track it's important to check the display at a glance. Maybe GS could implement an option to increase the size of the fonts according to the available display size. For example, a custom mode where we could choose the functions we wanted like time and pace and only those functions were displayed according maximum display size available.

Best regards,

Fábio

itrs821

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »

- I was very astonished that my two watches didn't show the same distance during running  ::)
     The GH-505 did show 40-50m more all the time. I noticed this when first lap finished
     (first on 505. later on 625) and this remained the same during the total run.
     I will have to check this again...

if you counterclockwisely run around the sports field, the distance of outer watch(left hand) will be longer than inner watch (left land). i dont know why,but it always happen.

GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version:XII) w/ GS-Sport Gym V.2.1
GH-505, Firmware:  F-GGH-2C-1006102 w/ GS-Sport Gym Pro V.1.2.3
Sporttracks 2.1.3478

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:24:58 am »

Hello Hubert, you mentioned the display it's a little bit small, is it difficult to see wich function? The chrono, the HRM, the distance?

Hello Fábio

the display is refelctive with a really very good contrast. It is shimmering like a fish. The reason is a new technology: http://www.qualcomm.de/common/documents/brochures/MCL1038_IMOD_Brochure.pdf

You can read all values and certainly it is still possible to configure four individual displays with 1, 2, 3 or 4 selectable values. This can already be done with the GH-615 and GH-625.

Best regards,

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:37:26 am »

Do you think the charging can be done on the go, e.g. will the clip "lock" to the watch and I can still wear it routing the cable to a USB Charger?
Hi Zingo,

I didn't try that up to know, maybe I can make a test next time. But I guess, it shouldn't be a problem using the clip
during watch usage:
* The clip is flat and covers the complete width of the watch, so the watch just will be a little bit thicker. Shouldn't be a problem.
* At least now (when watch/clip are new) the clip seems to snap in very good. I don't think, that it could open during run.
* The clip doesn't lock the functions of the watch. I only tried this for functions like configuration/display. I didn't check
   functions like GPS / HRM.
* The clip covers some parts of the upper buttons of the watch. So the activation of the buttons is still possible, but somehow cumbersome.

Regards, Hubert

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:57:12 am »

Hello Hubert, you mentioned the display it's a little bit small, is it difficult to see wich function?
Hi Fabio,

When I said, that the information is sometimes difficult to read, this is of course a very personal, subjective impression.
And I should add the fact, that I'm a spectacle wearer. However - as Longjog already said - the display itself has a very
good contrast and of course you can configure the custom pages to see any information you like. And fonts are getting smaller
when more data has to be shown (e.g. with 4 values on a page). With 4 values on a screen for me it's a little bit
exhausting to see all of them. I think, I will configure more 3 value pages, with one main information displayed larger and
easier to see.
The real problem for me is the Lap page ! The fonts used here are even smaller and in most cases I'm not able to get the information.
Maybe I get used to it after a while...  :-\

Regards, Hubert

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:02 am »

Hi all,

let me add some more information about what I called "Outside appearance":

* Outside appearance and handling:
   - The GH-505 doesn't look as bulky as the GH-625 did.
     Although the lenght (from bottom to top) is nearly the same, it is smaller in width
     (from left to right). I think, thickness is nearly identical.
Following is the data taken from specifications, which proofs what I said:
   - Size GH-625:  76,5 * 61,5 * 17,5 [mm]
   - Size GH-505:  45,8 * 63,4 * 17,0 [mm]

- The display is much smaller than the old one  :( Of course, if customers are asking for
     non-bulky watches, the displays have to become smaller - I know that.
     But for me some information is nearly unreadable, especially during training.
Also here the display sizes taken from specifications:
   - Display GH-625:  39,9 * 24,9 [mm]
   - Display GH-505:  25,1 * 18,8 [mm] 

Again here data from specification (with all options "On") :
   - Battery Life GH-625:   10 h   Charging empty to full:  3,0 h
   - Battery Life GH-505:   08 h   Charging empty to full:  2,5 h

My first impression of a longer charging time seems to be a problem of my PC's 2nd USB port.
I will try another one next time.

Regards, Hubert

fabiopt

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:00:12 am »

Hello Hubert, you mentioned the display it's a little bit small, is it difficult to see wich function? The chrono, the HRM, the distance?

Hello Fábio

the display is refelctive with a really very good contrast. It is shimmering like a fish. The reason is a new technology: http://www.qualcomm.de/common/documents/brochures/MCL1038_IMOD_Brochure.pdf

You can read all values and certainly it is still possible to configure four individual displays with 1, 2, 3 or 4 selectable values. This can already be done with the GH-615 and GH-625.

Best regards,

Longjog

Hi again,

I know we can choose different displays on GH-625 but has GH-505 has a different and smaller display it would e good visibility could be optimized to the best. Some runners don't have good eyes capabilities and it's very common people to choose their watches by the display like they do with cell phones.

Best regards,

Fábio

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:07:45 pm »

Hi all,

I have to correct one my previous postings a little bit after I came home and had one more look at the
charging clip:
Hi Zingo,
I didn't try that up to now, maybe I can make a test next time. But I guess, it shouldn't be a problem using the clip
during watch usage:
* The clip is flat and covers the complete width of the watch, so the watch just will be a little bit thicker. Shouldn't be a problem.
The clip isn't as flat as I had in my mind, when I wrote the above posting !
Is has nearly the same thickness as the watch itself ! So, when attached to the watch the complete
thing will be more than 3cm thick. This isn't really flat...
However - I still think it is possible to wear both together during usage. At least it will be much more
comfortable than the 625 version with the single connector.

Regards, Hubert

snow_freak

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:44 am »

Are you really sure about this? It would mean the new one has a shorter battery life!

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 04:19:07 am »

Are you really sure about this? It would mean the new one has a shorter battery life!
Hi,

I also was astonished and a little bit disappointed, although for me personal it's not really a problem,
because I very seldom use my watch this long time. For me it's not a problem. But maybe for others.

However - maybe I misunderstood the specification. Here is the original text from GlobalSat WebSite:

GH-625:
11 hours (3D fix, GPS on; HRM & Backlight off)
10 hours (3D fix, GPS, HRM & Backlight on)
21 hours (GPS, HRM off; Backlight off)
For M types

GH-505:
GPS on (no fixed); Backlight off ≧9 hours
GPS on (3D fixed); Backlight on ≧8 hours
Watch Mode Over 7 days

I picked the two colored lines, because they seem to have the same conditions.

Regards, Hubert

snow_freak

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 05:25:02 am »

GH-505:
GPS on (no fixed); Backlight off ≧9 hours
GPS on (3D fixed); Backlight on ≧8 hours
Watch Mode Over 7 days
Hello Hubert,
the really interesting value would be:
GPS on (3D fixed), HRM on, Backlight off, recording on

Maybe you are able to test it.

When i compare the specification available on the internet between the forerunners (305 and 310xt) and the 505, i fear its quite clear which one is the looser. The 505 has a smaller display and a lower battery lifetime. I don't like Garmin, but i guess these two points will lead most customers to by a garmin.
If globalsat wants to get a piece oft the cacke, they have to be way better than garmin. Beeing as good as garmin is not enough!

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 05:59:52 am »

Hello Hubert,
the really interesting value would be:
GPS on (3D fixed), HRM on, Backlight off, recording on
Totally agreed ! Unfortunately specification doesn't tell about this  :-\

Maybe you are able to test it.
No - I'm sorry. Not now. I will leave this test to the ultra runners.

When i compare the specification available on the internet between the forerunners (305 and 310xt) and the 505, i fear its quite clear which one is the looser. The 505 has a smaller display and a lower battery lifetime. I don't like Garmin, but i guess these two points will lead most customers to by a garmin.
If globalsat wants to get a piece oft the cacke, they have to be way better than garmin. Beeing as good as garmin is not enough!
We already started this kind of comparison already in another thread:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1174.msg3920#msg3920

And basicly I agree to what you say. However it depend a little bit on your primary focus. If you are a runner, you would
compare FR 305 and GH 505, and I'm afraid FR 305 could still win the competition, especially when both cost nearly the same.
When you are a biker, a swimmer or tri-athlet, you would have to compare FR 310 and GH 505 and this time maybe GH 505
doesn't reach the 310 functions, but it's only half the price ! Then it becomes very interesting !

Regards, Hubert

snow_freak

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:50 am »

Hello Hubert,
you are right with the price. But i hoped, that the new watch would be more competitive in the technical points. So i am a little bit disappointed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 19 queries.