USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505  (Read 12997 times)

ultrapetita

Re: Beta-Testers' first impressions of GH-505
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:25 am »

Hi Hubert,

Sure, I proposed this as an option. I will not usually need this feature, but e.g. in longer races on short track it would be nice to see e.g. lap related information and totals without selecting the correct pages back and forth.
As well, one motivation is, like Abdominizer said, that you could use bigger fonts /2-3 fields/page.

Hello,

please donīt forget itīs possible to switch between the custom defined windows manualy! Iīm doing so, if I need an information from an other window.

Regards

Longjog

Like I wrote, the idea is that I don't need to push the buttons all the time and concentrate on my watch but instead the race that is going on. In longer races the concentration is really needed and you want to avoid any unnecessary actions...

Phil

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 09:25:55 am »

Hello,

I received the GH-505 sample almost 2 weeks ago and already did some testings on the field, but only now I took some time to write a few words about it.
I also started to integrate it with my SportTracks plugin, which was the main purpose of it.

About physical aspect and design, I think everything was already said by previous testers. It look nicer and less bulky than previous models, it's well built and robust.
The interface to PC has changed and now it's only 4 metal contacts where the connector attaches, making it more resistant against water and dust.
The screen is smaller, but has higher resolution and is a lot more responsive and reflective.

Starting to use the watch and software was very easy, although there are some differences, like the menu structure and some new features.

My main use of the watch is on mountain biking to record trails, using it as a bike computer and many times the navigation functions/map mode. I also use it for running, although I'm not an experienced runner, not even close.

On the bike, I did two rides about 30/40km, and trail recording was quite accurate, there was a little error at the beginning while passing near some high buildings, but the rest of the course was very reliable, even under trees on the forest.
While on the bike the screen is too small and we have to make some effort to distinguish the trail line when using track back. The good thing is that the big arrow in track back mode helps a lot, and the screen redraw is almost instant in oposition to the previous models. The recording screen well visible with 3/4 fields, but hte ideal is having 2 fields per screen.
Also, I have to say that it's a little boring to go through all the menus while riding, when for example you want to change the map to recording screen. I think I liked the previous menu structure organised in sub-menus better because of this reason.

About the new features, I just took a quick look at the virtual trainer function but I was a bit disapointed, because when I heard about it I was expecting it to be possible to compete against activities from previous workouts or uploaded from PC. Showing the virtual trainer position on the map screen would also be nice.
The current implementation with a constant speed/pace/etc is a good start, but I think you should aim for a more advanced approach in future releases.

I also noticed the new slope field, which is useful and looks acurate for long climbs/descents. When you reach the top of the hill it has some inertia and takes some time to react, but that's probably a need because gps error measuring altitude.

This it it for now. I'll keep posting when I have further impressions.

Regards,
-Phil

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 10:18:08 am »

Hello,

I received the GH-505 sample almost 2 weeks ago and already did some testings on the field, but only now I took some time to write a few words about it.
I also started to integrate it with my SportTracks plugin, which was the main purpose of it.

About physical aspect and design, I think everything was already said by previous testers. It look nicer and less bulky than previous models, it's well built and robust.
The interface to PC has changed and now it's only 4 metal contacts where the connector attaches, making it more resistant against water and dust.
The screen is smaller, but has higher resolution and is a lot more responsive and reflective.

Starting to use the watch and software was very easy, although there are some differences, like the menu structure and some new features.

My main use of the watch is on mountain biking to record trails, using it as a bike computer and many times the navigation functions/map mode. I also use it for running, although I'm not an experienced runner, not even close.

On the bike, I did two rides about 30/40km, and trail recording was quite accurate, there was a little error at the beginning while passing near some high buildings, but the rest of the course was very reliable, even under trees on the forest.
While on the bike the screen is too small and we have to make some effort to distinguish the trail line when using track back. The good thing is that the big arrow in track back mode helps a lot, and the screen redraw is almost instant in oposition to the previous models. The recording screen well visible with 3/4 fields, but hte ideal is having 2 fields per screen.
Also, I have to say that it's a little boring to go through all the menus while riding, when for example you want to change the map to recording screen. I think I liked the previous menu structure organised in sub-menus better because of this reason.

About the new features, I just took a quick look at the virtual trainer function but I was a bit disapointed, because when I heard about it I was expecting it to be possible to compete against activities from previous workouts or uploaded from PC. Showing the virtual trainer position on the map screen would also be nice.
The current implementation with a constant speed/pace/etc is a good start, but I think you should aim for a more advanced approach in future releases.

I also noticed the new slope field, which is useful and looks acurate for long climbs/descents. When you reach the top of the hill it has some inertia and takes some time to react, but that's probably a need because gps error measuring altitude.

This it it for now. I'll keep posting when I have further impressions.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi Phil,

It is higly appreciated for your so detail report. I also feel happy about your so many positive feedbacks.
About virtual trainer, today we have made modification which is more reliable and interesting. The Trainer page show the virtual trainer setting and status, PACER or PACER T you can set on custom page to see your performance against to Trainer.

Next time we will implement [YOURSELF] into Virtual Trainer, so you can compet against yourself. Others are as simliar as others tester's mention.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Phil

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

Hi Geoffrey,

I look forward to try Virtual Trainer with [YOURSELF] mode, that will be a lot more exciting.

By the way, here's the gps log of a running I did around a 400m track:

You can see there is some error, because the lap trigger is always occurring a little behind the previous one

Since my previous watch don't has HRM, I don't usually wear it while running, so I don't know if this error is acceptable or not, but because this is a short distance and the weather was cloudy it doesn't look so bad.

Regards,
-Phil

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 02:59:37 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

I look forward to try Virtual Trainer with [YOURSELF] mode, that will be a lot more exciting.

By the way, here's the gps log of a running I did around a 400m track:

You can see there is some error, because the lap trigger is always occurring a little behind the previous one

Since my previous watch don't has HRM, I don't usually wear it while running, so I don't know if this error is acceptable or not, but because this is a short distance and the weather was cloudy it doesn't look so bad.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi Phil,

Please kindly wait for new features! :D
 It should come from cumulative error and it is obvious regarding to 400m. Maybe you can show more detail lap information for our understanding.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Sundown

• Regular Members
  • Find Me a Mountain Sowewhere
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 05:54:46 am »

Hi Guys,

I'm not one of your Beta testers but I have been following the development of the GH505 for several months. I ordered my Gh505 three weeks ago and thought I would give some feedback of my own.

First Impressions
It's slightly more bulky than I imagined but I'm getting used to it.
However the screen size is the biggest disappointment given the size of the watch face.
When putting three or more data fields on the custom pages the numbers become too small for me to read without glasses. The size might be Ok for young people ( under 40 ) but for me at 50 plus, I need all the help I can get.

I find the Charging Clip a bit fiddly and the small tabs appear prone to breakage.
I think the alligator style clip used by Garmin is more user friendly.

Watch in Operation
Generally, I've found the watch easy to use.
However, some things could be better.
The Auto Lap window does not stay up for long ( about 1 sec )
Maybe have a configurable delay time for all Alert pages.
The same applies to the Virtual trainer alert window.
Also could the Alert windows be larger with bigger fonts for readability.

Watch Manual
Not all the Data fields are defined in the manual's bibliography section.

Latest Firmware ?
My watch has Firmware version 2.0  F-UGH-2C-1007021
Is it possible to get access to the the lastest beta version ?

Colin

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 12:58:46 am »

Dear Colin,

Many thanks for purchasing our product. Here is my comments regarding your suggestions:
First Impressions
It's slightly more bulky than I imagined but I'm getting used to it.
However the screen size is the biggest disappointment given the size of the watch face.
When putting three or more data fields on the custom pages the numbers become too small for me to read without glasses. The size might be Ok for young people ( under 40 ) but for me at 50 plus, I need all the help I can get.
[Geoffrey] Thanks for your advice, GH-505 uses Qualcomm Milarso display technology to provide high quality information. I will keep your suggestion to inform engineering team for keep improving our products.
I find the Charging Clip a bit fiddly and the small tabs appear prone to breakage.
I think the alligator style clip used by Garmin is more user friendly.
[Geoffrey] The design is proposed for ensuring good contact to avoid getting loose.
Generally, I've found the watch easy to use.
However, some things could be better.
The Auto Lap window does not stay up for long ( about 1 sec )
Maybe have a configurable delay time for all Alert pages.
The same applies to the Virtual trainer alert window.
Also could the Alert windows be larger with bigger fonts for readability.
[Geoffrey] Thanks for advice. We will keep improving that.
Latest Firmware ?
My watch has Firmware version 2.0  F-UGH-2C-1007021
Is it possible to get access to the the lastest beta version ?
[Geoffrey] We usually put the release on our offical website,http://www.gs-sport.com/pro_dl.php?en_product_id=1&en_product_cnt_id=28. We also will release the beta firmware for particular testers. If you are interest, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 03:00:03 am »

I've got email from one of our team betatesters and he asked me to post this to forum behalf of himselves. So, here is some feedback from him to use GH-505 in arctic conditions.

"I tested gh-505 in arctic conditions. Test included three training days, in snowy and -20 c conditions.

Part 1. 5,5 hour bicycle
Part 2. 1 hour run
Part 3. 3 hour Multi-sport: cross-country skiing - run - cross-country skiing

It seems that GH-505 maintains good function in arctic conditions. I assumed problems with battery, but there were no problems. After 5,5 hour training in very cold, there was 37% power left. There was no problems locating satellites and distance measuring was good even while skiing in forest.

Only problem was (which has happened a few times before) is:
If device loses contact to satellite, it resets whole training session (including time). This is a bad thing for endurance athlete, who wants always know exactly the duration of training session.

But after all, it was positive suprise how well the device survived arctic conditions up here in Finland."

-Rookie behalf of JiiVee

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »

I've got email from one of our team betatesters and he asked me to post this to forum behalf of himselves. So, here is some feedback from him to use GH-505 in arctic conditions.

"I tested gh-505 in arctic conditions. Test included three training days, in snowy and -20 c conditions.

Part 1. 5,5 hour bicycle
Part 2. 1 hour run
Part 3. 3 hour Multi-sport: cross-country skiing - run - cross-country skiing

It seems that GH-505 maintains good function in arctic conditions. I assumed problems with battery, but there were no problems. After 5,5 hour training in very cold, there was 37% power left. There was no problems locating satellites and distance measuring was good even while skiing in forest.

Only problem was (which has happened a few times before) is:
If device loses contact to satellite, it resets whole training session (including time). This is a bad thing for endurance athlete, who wants always know exactly the duration of training session.

But after all, it was positive suprise how well the device survived arctic conditions up here in Finland."

-Rookie behalf of JiiVee

Hi Rookie,

Thanks for the strict testing and feedback.
Normally, battery can't survive under zero degree. Due to GH-505 has good sealing so it can work in this kind environment.

We will keep improving and appreciated your team kind support.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

First Impressions from me:
Disclaimer: I have not investigated if I have the latest FW yet, I have F-GGH-2C-1006151

I really like this compared to my gh615 (with latest gh625 FW) it's a great step up. Here are some finding's:

Formfactor: Like it much better then gh615. My wife also likes it better but she was still more found of the form factor of her Garmin-305 on first look so she gets to sleep on the couch tonight :)

Screen: Small compared to gh615, quite ok for me but it is borderline, the quad-view helps alot.

Backlight: I like the backlight on th gh615 better the gh505 gives a spooky light but it works.

GUI: The quad view is great, like it. There are some small GUI glitches that need's to be fixed, the font is to wide and numbers get clipped in quad view and GPS position view. Popup messages are to fast and the text to smal, I remember this being discussed so this is probably already fixed in newer FW. I almost never manage to read it after a alert beep. I think the popup time and text-size on gh625 firmware was ok.
 I don't like the extensive need to press "PAGE" to cycle by all items, I suggest rearanging the GUI so all that have a "full screen stil-page" are on top of each other, and selected by using UP/DOWN e.g.

Not:
Code: [Select]
Activety -> GYM- > Navigation -> Connect to PC-> Configuration -> Location -> Current TRAINING->navigation (if enabled)

-> = PAGE button
| = UP/DOWN button

Code: [Select]
Activety -> Location -> Current TRAINING -> navigation (if enabled)
   |
  GYM
   |
Navigation
   |
Configuration
   |
Connect to PC

GYM/Trainer: I like this will try this on my next 100miles run to keep track of myself compared to total time. But I think the default, builtin values must be changed to something more usable to give a good example like 10km on 5min is not a god start value, it actually a very bad value as it gives me an impression that I need to add pace instead (5min per km) I think you should have 10km 60min as default, thats is numbers everyone can relate to and makes it quite understandable what you need to add. Have only used DIST/TIME yet.

Mechanics: Buttons is much looser then my gh615 it seems that they sometime misses a press specially DOWN-button but maybe it's just a feeling will test some more.

Clock-mode: It this where you get the spoky pixels? I'll try to stay away from this as I don't need it, have another watch for normal usage. But I like it for another reason, on some of the longer ultras I switch over to a normal watch for the last part when battery is near dead, maybe I can keep it alive in this mode for the last part of the race.

Linux support: Well it was not working out of the box using SportTracks (from mono) with the globalsat plugin as it is with gh625/gh615 I'll investigate some more currently I spent about 30s trying...

EDIT: Got it to work in Linux It just showed up as another device, I just created a link to make it show up like something the plugin liked see my Linux thread for details.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:43:41 pm by zingo »

canadien

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:36 am »

I'll go with my first-hands impression too. It's only about general appearance because I received it lately and even if I installed the latest beta, I did not yet really try it (other than the real watch feature ::)).

- IMHO the nicest looking Gssport watch to date. Really neat and sharp sport watch. Love it very much. Spitted screen as well. Most of my feelings are positive but will firstly write down here what I think could be improve.
- LCD: I dont like to see the ends of the lcd. In particular the top and bottom end. It's like if the screen is not totally part of the watch as a whole but a independent parts.
- Lateral boutons not as sturdy as gh-625 ones. Did not like the feeling at first touch. Front ones are fine.
- Would like to have dots between romans number (analog watch dummy here). But like the function. Fit well with the small screen.
- I don't like the bold HI CAPS typo when going into a menu, I do find it too much. Not necessary and decrease consistency in texts appearance. In GH-625 there are no bold...
- Same for menu images, I think there is no consistency between them -sorry I use this word a lot, but find it important- it's as if they were of different nature (drawn by different persons). This is the place where we can give a little personality to the watch with nice symbols and actually there are not really that relevant and good looking -I am sorry-. In particularly the GYM one for the look and the earth for relevance.
- Like zingo, prefer the backlight on the GH-615/25.
-When I turn off the real watch -keep pressing power button-, the lights turn on and off three times before shutting the watch down. Does not disturb me at all but can't say if it's normal or not?

- The box. The couple give a great energy, but I think we could afford to have a real picture of the watch and Heart Monitor on the cover: I had a photoshop feeling. Especially for the big guy with HR and watch and the street behind.

Not much, but will provide more in coming days/week after beta firmware trial where I am sure will bring all of the positive of the watch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:11:02 am by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:37 am »

Hi Canadien,

Sorry for my late replay due to almost crazy occupied.
Here is my comment regarding your review:
- IMHO the nicest looking Gssport watch to date. Really neat and sharp sport watch. Love it very much. Spitted screen as well. Most of my feelings are positive but will firstly write down here what I think could be improve.
Thanks for postitive feedback on this item.
- LCD: I dont like to see the ends of the lcd. In particular the top and bottom end. It's like if the screen is not totally part of the watch as a whole but a independent parts.
- Lateral boutons not as sturdy as gh-625 ones. Did not like the feeling at first touch. Front ones are fine.
Orginal plan to improve the contrast with the new technology. However, it has many restrictions, so that apperance looks not harmonious. For poor feeling of button, we will improve into next gerenation.
- Would like to have dots between romans number (analog watch dummy here). But like the function. Fit well with the small screen.
The resolution is 128*96 dots.
- I don't like the bold HI CAPS typo when going into a menu, I do find it too much. Not necessary and decrease consistency in texts appearance. In GH-625 there are no bold...
- Same for menu images, I think there is no consistency between them -sorry I use this word a lot, but find it important- it's as if they were of different nature (drawn by different persons). This is the place where we can give a little personality to the watch with nice symbols and actually there are not really that relevant and good looking -I am sorry-. In particularly the GYM one for the look and the earth for relevance.
Actually, the images were designed by ourself. :P It is much better if you have new images.
- Like zingo, prefer the backlight on the GH-615/25.
So do I. We will change into next gerenation.
-When I turn off the real watch -keep pressing power button-, the lights turn on and off three times before shutting the watch down. Does not disturb me at all but can't say if it's normal or not?
I think it comes from poor feeling and inconsistent contact.
- The box. The couple give a great energy, but I think we could afford to have a real picture of the watch and Heart Monitor on the cover: I had a photoshop feeling. Especially for the big guy with HR and watch and the street behind.
Yes, it modified by photoshop. :P Becasue we don't have muscle. ;) If you were willing to provide, it will be wonderful.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

Hi Geoffrey,

one of my testers accredited that GH-505 works fine with Garmins ANT+ GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor :)
Unfortunately GH-505 did loose GPS fix after 20,4 km on bike. 

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 07:59:39 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

one of my testers accredited that GH-505 works fine with Garmins ANT+ GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor :)
Unfortunately GH-505 did loose GPS fix after 20,4 km on bike. 

Best regards

Longjog

Hi Longjog,

Do you mean it never got fix after 20,4km with GSC10? I would like to have log file for investigation.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:00 am »

Hi Zingo,

Thanks for detail review and the belowing is my comments:

First Impressions from me:
Disclaimer: I have not investigated if I have the latest FW yet, I have F-GGH-2C-1006151
The lastest firmware is F-GGH-2C-1010221 with many improvments. Here is the detail information:http://www.gs-sport.com/pro_dl.php?en_product_id=1&en_product_cnt_id=28
Formfactor: Like it much better then gh615. My wife also likes it better but she was still more found of the form factor of her Garmin-305 on first look so she gets to sleep on the couch tonight
GH-505 is a peace watch. ;) We plan to make much watch like into GH-595.
Screen: Small compared to gh615, quite ok for me but it is borderline, the quad-view helps alot.
Thanks.
Backlight: I like the backlight on th gh615 better the gh505 gives a spooky light but it works.
We plan to change as GH-625 backlight into next product.
GUI: The quad view is great, like it. There are some small GUI glitches that need's to be fixed, the font is to wide and numbers get clipped in quad view and GPS position view. Popup messages are to fast and the text to smal, I remember this being discussed so this is probably already fixed in newer FW. I almost never manage to read it after a alert beep. I think the popup time and text-size on gh625 firmware was ok.
We have improved into new firmware on pop up message, the text size will be hold into next product design.
I don't like the extensive need to press "PAGE" to cycle by all items, I suggest rearanging the GUI so all that have a "full screen stil-page" are on top of each other, and selected by using UP/DOWN e.g.
Thanks, we will keep the idea for next generation.
GYM/Trainer: I like this will try this on my next 100miles run to keep track of myself compared to total time. But I think the default, builtin values must be changed to something more usable to give a good example like 10km on 5min is not a god start value, it actually a very bad value as it gives me an impression that I need to add pace instead (5min per km) I think you should have 10km 60min as default, thats is numbers everyone can relate to and makes it quite understandable what you need to add. Have only used DIST/TIME yet.
We have improved into new version.
Mechanics: Buttons is much looser then my gh615 it seems that they sometime misses a press specially DOWN-button but maybe it's just a feeling will test some more.

Thanks, we will improve into next generation.
Clock-mode: It this where you get the spoky pixels? I'll try to stay away from this as I don't need it, have another watch for normal usage. But I like it for another reason, on some of the longer ultras I switch over to a normal watch for the last part when battery is near dead, maybe I can keep it alive in this mode for the last part of the race.

Will you preproduce this problem? I am curious is this function important for watch?
Linux support: Well it was not working out of the box using SportTracks (from mono) with the globalsat plugin as it is with gh625/gh615 I'll investigate some more currently I spent about 30s trying...

As I know, SportTrack's adminstrator has released plugin for GH-625, 505 series product, you may have a try. ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 20 queries.