USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Multisport Function  (Read 10536 times)

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
Re: Multisport Function
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:40 am »

Hi all,

although swimming isn't my favorite sport...
   - I am a runner and so my first priority are functions related to running. I think, I will leave
     functions intended for swimmers or bikers to other testers.
I went out for swimming this morning to perform a little test with my GH-505.
As we already know, that HRM will not work I left the belt at home and I just wanted
to see, how the watch works in the water and how GPS works during (outdoor) swimming.

Before I did this, I have to admit that I was a little bit afraid to destroy the watch
when taking it with me into the water. But after a while in the water I trusted the watch
more and more and finally I felt very comfortable and forgot all concerns.

However - the negative result was: GPS doesn't work neither in the water  :(
I wanted to check, if I'm able to swim a certain distance in a given time,
but I didn't have a feeling for the distance. So I thought, the GPS function could help me.
It did not.
As soon as I put my arm into the water, the GPS fix was lost and the watch wasn't
able to record anything. When holding the arm outside the water, GPS fix was recovered
after a few seconds. But during swimming is didn't work.

For me its not a problem. I don't want to use the watch for swimming.
The swimmers and triathlets may decide, if they need HRM and GPS in the water,
or maybe it will be enough to have just one universal watch for all sports...

Regards, Hubert

Hi Hubert,

GH-505 is design for water sports, you don't worry about its performance for water!
But when GPS is deeping into water, the signal from sattellite might be absorb by water to lead lost signal. It is recommend to set recording dater per second, so that you still can record some data and enjoy the fun!  :D

Right now, I catch a cold and be not able to go swimming for a fun. :'(

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 12:17:22 am »

For me its not a problem. I don't want to use the watch for swimming.
The swimmers and triathlets may decide, if they need HRM and GPS in the water,
or maybe it will be enough to have just one universal watch for all sports...

Regards, Hubert
Most important thing is that I can use one device from start to finish line and get overall time and time for every splits and transitions.
HRM ang GPS would be very nice additional feature while swimming but I can live without those if it is impossible to solve (as far I know HRM is not possible under water with ANT+). Anyway, good luck with improving swimming features.

Time ago I proposed to add feature which count distanse during indoor swimming. This could be possible to do by compass which count how many turns you are done. Lets say, when you are swim same direction, whatch will add one lap a.s.o.

What you think, could this be possible to implement?

Rookie

Unfortunately, ANT+ can't overcome the water threaten.
For distance prediction for indoor swmming, it could be performed if added accelerometer likes foot pod. :D
We are studying this technology now, it is interesting.

Regards

Geoffrey :D

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25:54 am »

But when GPS is deeping into water, the signal from sattellite might be absorb by water to lead lost signal. It is recommend to set recording dater per second, so that you still can record some data and enjoy the fun!  :D

Hi Geoffrey,

I am hopeing the short time my hand is out of the water (remember crawl-style  :D) will be long enough to refix GPS-signal.
Next time I will go in a heatened open air bath (tha last such coly Mai in Germany was in 1902, but I canīt remember) and test it. I will report here!

Regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 12:38:26 am »

For distance prediction for indoor swmming, it could be performed if added accelerometer likes foot pod. :D

;D ;D But only with the foot with the pod out of the water!  ;D ;D

What Rookie means, is to have a counter which triggers the changing of direction. Normaly you have a 25 or 50 m track. Multiplied the numer of changing of direction +1 with the distance 25 or 50 m is the total distance then.

Regards

Longjog

Germany

itrs821

• Regular Members
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:32 am »

very interesting discussion. i think if we put g-sensor in the next generation product.
we can achieve many funny applications or functions. :D
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version:XII) w/ GS-Sport Gym V.2.1
GH-505, Firmware:  F-GGH-2C-1006102 w/ GS-Sport Gym Pro V.1.2.3
Sporttracks 2.1.3478

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:53 am »

What Rookie means, is to have a counter which triggers the changing of direction. Normaly you have a 25 or 50 m track. Multiplied the numer of changing of direction +1 with the distance 25 or 50 m is the total distance then.

Regards

Longjog

Yes, exactly.

http://www.swimovate.com/poolmate.html is one product that already dooing that thing.

I'm not sure, but I guess that it is based to compass. For example, when compass direction is turned and stayed 5seconds to another direction (180 degrees) it count +1 lap. Those laps can be multiblied with pool size to count distance.

Mayby poolmate use some more advanced technic for this, but as I said, this compass thing is just laucky guess.

-Rookie

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:22 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

I am hopeing the short time my hand is out of the water (remember crawl-style  :D) will be long enough to refix GPS-signal.
Next time I will go in a heatened open air bath (tha last such coly Mai in Germany was in 1902, but I canīt remember) and test it. I will report here!

Regards

Longjog

Yes, I hope so. We are working hard on implementation of firmware of GH-505. The exciting improvement will be released by this week. ;D
BTW, what is "heatened open air bath " for?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:32 am »

Regards

Longjog

Yes, exactly.

http://www.swimovate.com/poolmate.html is one product that already dooing that thing.

I'm not sure, but I guess that it is based to compass. For example, when compass direction is turned and stayed 5seconds to another direction (180 degrees) it count +1 lap. Those laps can be multiblied with pool size to count distance.

Mayby poolmate use some more advanced technic for this, but as I said, this compass thing is just laucky guess.

-Rookie

Hi Rookie,

I found it should use accelermeter and right now we are also studying the interesting technology.
BTW, can the product be able to calculate distance?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:41 pm »

Hi Rookie,

I found it should use accelermeter and right now we are also studying the interesting technology.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Hi,

Here is what poolmate can do.
Features
Laps, Time, Average Strokes per lap, Speed, Distance, Calories, Set times, Pause function, Efficiency Index, Large Memory, Alarm and fully functioning stylish digital watch, Water Resistant to 50m

If you are able to do those as well and all in same device, I would be very satisfied (and I think many other triathlets as well with me).

Rookie

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:47 am »

Hi Rookie,

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Hi,

Here is what poolmate can do.
Features
Laps, Time, Average Strokes per lap, Speed, Distance, Calories, Set times, Pause function, Efficiency Index, Large Memory, Alarm and fully functioning stylish digital watch, Water Resistant to 50m

If you are able to do those as well and all in same device, I would be very satisfied (and I think many other triathlets as well with me).

Rookie

Hi Rookie,

Actually, we have a special exclusive project for customer. Hereby, I can't expose too much.
You may see it next year. :D

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:33 am »

Quote from: www.Swimovate.com
The watch will work with pools over 15m in length. However in order to recognise swimming the watch needs to detect several regular swim strokes, if using a very small pool you may reach the end before this occurs and the watch will not know you are swimming. If this occurs we recommend you try a larger pool. The watch will work best in pools over 20m. It needs setting to the pool length before use- the default setting is 25m.
The pool-length has to be setted manually. The swimovate is not useful in feewater-swimming. ;)

Germany

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »

Quote from: www.Swimovate.com
The watch will work with pools over 15m in length. However in order to recognise swimming the watch needs to detect several regular swim strokes, if using a very small pool you may reach the end before this occurs and the watch will not know you are swimming. If this occurs we recommend you try a larger pool. The watch will work best in pools over 20m. It needs setting to the pool length before use- the default setting is 25m.
The pool-length has to be setted manually. The swimovate is not useful in feewater-swimming. ;)

Hi Longjog,

What is "feewater-swimming"? ???

Regards

Geoffrey

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 04:58:03 am »

When you don't swim in a pool, e.g. lake/river/ocean

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:08 am »

When you don't swim in a pool, e.g. lake/river/ocean

Hi Zingo,

Thanks for explanation. I think so. Some times we like free-swimming not in pool.

Regards,

Geoffrey

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 04:24:10 pm »

In my first test today (training triathlon competition) I used multisport mode and it worked pretty fine. Anyway, as we know, HRM is not working while swimming and GPS is not reliable enough to measure distance.
To get bit more reliable of GPS there was used lower frequency, 15sec, for data recording (by longjog if I remember correctly) and it gives better result.

In multisport mode it would be useful to set different recording frequency for each sport separately because 15sec for for swimming would be good but for bike it is not good at all. What you think?

Rookie
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 19 queries.