USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Multisport Function  (Read 10100 times)

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
Re: Multisport Function
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 08:54:47 pm »

In my first test today (training triathlon competition) I used multisport mode and it worked pretty fine. Anyway, as we know, HRM is not working while swimming and GPS is not reliable enough to measure distance.
To get bit more reliable of GPS there was used lower frequency, 15sec, for data recording (by longjog if I remember correctly) and it gives better result.

In multisport mode it would be useful to set different recording frequency for each sport separately because 15sec for for swimming would be good but for bike it is not good at all. What you think?

Rookie

Hi Rookie,

Thanks for your information. In the swimming of multisport, to switch frequency to 15sec, the others keep as orginal. Is it correct?

Regards,

Geoffrey

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:50 am »

In my first test today (training triathlon competition) I used multisport mode and it worked pretty fine. Anyway, as we know, HRM is not working while swimming and GPS is not reliable enough to measure distance.
To get bit more reliable of GPS there was used lower frequency, 15sec, for data recording (by longjog if I remember correctly) and it gives better result.

In multisport mode it would be useful to set different recording frequency for each sport separately because 15sec for for swimming would be good but for bike it is not good at all. What you think?

Rookie

Hi Rookie,

Thanks for your information. In the swimming of multisport, to switch frequency to 15sec, the others keep as orginal. Is it correct?

Regards,

Geoffrey

15sec for swimming was just an example. It would be better if it could be configurable by user for each sport separately.

Rookie

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:17 am »

Even if it's configurable maybe 15s should be the "default" value to give a good out-of-the-box experience.
Should bike/running both have 4s ???

I find 4s quite good when running (on the gh615), don't see a point in having lower value, higer value -> memory last longer. I don't know whats is best for biking.

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:43 am »

Even if it's configurable maybe 15s should be the "default" value to give a good out-of-the-box experience.
Should bike/running both have 4s ???

I find 4s quite good when running (on the gh615), don't see a point in having lower value, higer value -> memory last longer. I don't know whats is best for biking.

Hi Zingo,

So maybe we need to discuss with is the appropriated setting for each training.
As I know, Garmin to set 1s as default.

Regards,

Geoffrey

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

With the actual firmware the swimming-, biking-,  running- and transition-times are recorded as lap-times. If Auto-Lap-function is activated or if laps are taken manually, the singele sport-times will be split at this point. You have to calculate the single sport-type totalytime manually than. And the average values (HR, Speed, Pace etc.) are splitted also.
It would be nice to see Swim-, bike-, run- ans transitiontimes in the Multisport overview ore somewhere but indepandant from taking more Lap-times.

A good start in the new week!

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:23 am »

With the actual firmware the swimming-, biking-,  running- and transition-times are recorded as lap-times. If Auto-Lap-function is activated or if laps are taken manually, the singele sport-times will be split at this point. You have to calculate the single sport-type totalytime manually than. And the average values (HR, Speed, Pace etc.) are splitted also.
It would be nice to see Swim-, bike-, run- ans transitiontimes in the Multisport overview ore somewhere but indepandant from taking more Lap-times.

A good start in the new week!

Best regards

Longjog

Hi Longjog,

Do you means to show the summary of each type sport? On Software or firmware?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 02:05:18 am »

Hi Longjog,

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Hello Geoffrey,

summary should been shown in both, watch and PC-software.
Imagine after competition you are sitting there with your friends and a beer :), everyone is happy and you are asked for your single times ???. I would be able to answer them without calculating myself in head :-\.
If I didnīt have taken (normal) lap-times I can read the values in lap-overview :), but not, if I have taken lap-splits :(.
The easyest way Is maybe to deactivate the manual- and auto-lap-function when Multisport is active ;), but loosing this function is also not fine :-[.

Best regards

Longjog

Germany

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »

Hi Longjog,

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Hello Geoffrey,

summary should been shown in both, watch and PC-software.
Imagine after competition you are sitting there with your friends and a beer :), everyone is happy and you are asked for your single times ???. I would be able to answer them without calculating myself in head :-\.
If I didnīt have taken (normal) lap-times I can read the values in lap-overview :), but not, if I have taken lap-splits :(.
The easyest way Is maybe to deactivate the manual- and auto-lap-function when Multisport is active ;), but loosing this function is also not fine :-[.

Best regards

Longjog

Hi Longjog,

It is wonderful to drink a beer after training. ;)
To avoid you are single to calcuate, we are treating this. However we move focus on GPS performance improvment now. Will need some times.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey :)

s_a_s_c_h_a

• Regular Members
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 05:51:48 am »

...It would be nice to see Swim-, bike-, run- ans transitiontimes in the Multisport overview ore somewhere but indepandant from taking more Lap-times...

full ack!

sincerely

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:06 am »

...It would be nice to see Swim-, bike-, run- ans transitiontimes in the Multisport overview ore somewhere but indepandant from taking more Lap-times...

full ack!

sincerely

Dear customer,

Thanks for information. For next generation, we will treat each session as single lap to make it clear.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2011, 06:33:14 pm »

I have tested this function few times more now and I'd like to propose some improvement.

As mentioned before, each sport should have individual calculation of pace,  speed, avg HR etc. in current sport display during race. Now it show on display overall avg's, speed, pace etc. during race.

Speed filter (useful to improve accurance of swim destance) should be able to set for each sport separately.

If in next fw manual and auto lap will be disabled during multisport, lap button could be better to use as change sport when you go to transition and continue to next sport instead of up button. Maybe 2 seconds pressing button is good to avoid accidental change.

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:52 am »

Speed filter (useful to improve accurance of swim destance) should be able to set for each sport separately.

Hi Rookie,
I donīt understand what speed-filter should be good for in other sports than swimming.
I suggest to be able to set up speed filter in configuation-menue. It should be used always if swimsport is selected in Gym-menue or while swimming during multisport.
While other sports the speedfilter should be off.

Do you have any experiances with the swim-filter? Which speed should be selected?
Last week I realized one again that 4 km/h filter is to less. Althought I swum less than 4 km/h the watch recorded only 11 track-points in half an hour (measured 1,36 km).

@Geoffrey: How does the speedfilter work? Is the actual measured speed applicable? I thing it would be better if the AVG-speed calculated from the last recorded track point to the actual track point is applicable for the speed-filter.

Best regards

Longjog

Germany

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2011, 11:31:07 am »

Hi Rookie,
I donīt understand what speed-filter should be good for in other sports than swimming.
I suggest to be able to set up speed filter in configuation-menue. It should be used always if swimsport is selected in Gym-menue or while swimming during multisport.
Yes, you are right. I recall incorrectly and tought that sport name would be free text field but I was wrong. There is swimsport selectable on menu.
So, I agree your suggestion that speed filter is used every time when swimsport is activated or swim is part of multisport when that is used.

Do you have any experiances with the swim-filter? Which speed should be selected?
Last week I realized one again that 4 km/h filter is to less. Althought I swum less than 4 km/h the watch recorded only 11 track-points in half an hour (measured 1,36 km).
I have been used swim mode pretty much this summer and for me 6km/h is rather good value. 10km/h give more recorded points and maybe not need to focus on turning points too much but then you need repair your training afterword much more. But in any case swim should be also rather direct and with slower speed filter values to ensure recording on turning point you, should raise your hand for while when you change direction. Ofcource in race this is not possible stop every turning point but in training it is not so big deal to stop.

Rookie

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »

Example for swimsport with filter 4 km/h. Filterspeed seems to be to low. Next time Iīll try 5 and 6 km/h.

In freewater-swimming direct turns can be avoided by swimming big curves.
Happy summertime

Longjog

Germany

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 03:47:56 am »

Hi Rookie,

@Geoffrey: How does the speedfilter work? Is the actual measured speed applicable? I thing it would be better if the AVG-speed calculated from the last recorded track point to the actual track point is applicable for the speed-filter.

Best regards

Longjog

Hi Longjog,

It is challenge to come out adaptive avg speed, due to it often happens lost signal during swimming.
Now swimming filter was set as the threshold level; data will be record if above the value.
The swimming filter is recommended referring the swimmer data to set.
For professional swimmer, the value is 6 km/hr. For normal case, maybe 4 km/hr is enough.
I think GH-625XT with SirF IV will have better performance in this case.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 19 queries.