USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC-337 SiRF III GPS receiver question  (Read 3548 times)

avro

BC-337 SiRF III GPS receiver question
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:20 am »

Hello,

This may be a little OT, and if so I apologize but I thought maybe someone here can help me.  I have a VECTOR 530 mobile data terminal.  Basically a computer with gps for a taxi cab.  It uses a gps receiver same as with like a TOMTOM or a GARMIN that has a (I think) a MCX connector. 

The gps receiver that came with it didn't seem to be too good in that the receiver would lose the signal quite often and sometimes take a long time to re-acquire the signal.

I have the GlobalSat BT-359 SIRF III GPS receiver that I use with my laptop for M$ streets & trips and google earth.  Something I've noticed is that with the BT-359, it NEVER loses the signal except for when I'm in a parking structure.  I WANT THAT FOR MY VECTOR 53O!!

Is there a gps receiver (not necessary the  BC-337 or BT-359) that has the SIRF III and work with my VECTOR 530 (TOMTOM / GARMIN compatible receiver)?  My VECTOR doesn't have usb, ps/2, or bluetooth inputs but have a MCX input port for the gps receiver.  Is there a gps receiver w/ SIRF III that I can use for my VECTOR?  I can't use usb, ps/2, or bluetooth but if the receiver has any sort of standard connector, I can cut off the connector and reattach it with a MCX connector (male and female MCX connector already ordered on ebay) to make it fit.  Is there such a gps receiver?  or any suggestion?

thank you
angelo

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: BC-337 SiRF III GPS receiver question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:11:40 am »

Based on our engineers, they are not familiar with the VECTOR 530 Mobile Data Terminal. Since our GPS Receivers are designed as ready-to-use and consumer products, this seems to go beyond their capabilities to advise you with anything. Sorry we can't help you further than this.

avro

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »

Thank you USG_TECH10 for your reply.  Please for the moment disregard the Vector 530.  I do have the VECTOR 530, but the key here is that it uses the same gps mouse type receiver / antenna used with TOMTOM or GARMIN gps devices.  I've confirmed this by swapping the gps receiver / antenna of my buddys GARMIN gps receiver / antenna and it works, but with about the same performance as the original gps antenna.

So, let me rephrase my question.  Is there a mouse type gps receiver / antenna with the SIRF III that will work with the TOMTOM or the GARMIN.  Only thing is that this SIRF III gps antenna NOT be either USB, PS/2, or bluetooth but instead have a MCX, MMCX, or any other coaxial type connector. 

Any suggestion?
thank you
angelo

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

We have antennas available in our website, the AT-65 Portable Active (MCX) (http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-248-at-65-portable-active-mcx.aspx#images/product/large/248.jpg) and the AT-65 Portable Active (MMCX) (http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-250-at-65-portable-active-mmcx.aspx#images/product/large/250.jpg).

As stated by our engineer, it is not guaranteed that our GPS Antennas would work with all of the GPS Receivers out there. However, if that receiver meets the antennas' specifications then there is a possibility that it would work.

Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:43:15 pm by USG_TECH10 »

avro

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:12 am »

Just one question re the AT-65.  Does this have the SiRF III chip?  This gps antenna will probably work with my VECTOR, but I can't see the SIRF III anywhere in the hardware specs.  Cause what I'm looking for is a gps receiver / antenna like this AT-65 that has the SIRF III chip.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »

Unfortunately, we don't have any antennas that have Sirf Star III chip internally since they are mainly used to receive signals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 19 queries.