USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 64 bit - Windows cannot load driver  (Read 23678 times)

Backwoods Rambler

Windows 7 64 bit - Windows cannot load driver
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:05:59 pm »

I know my GPS reciever works because I've hooked it up to my netbook with windows 7 starter and the same suite of programs for navigation (see below), but now I cannot get it working on my full feature laptop.

Sony Vaio Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Intel Core DuoT6600 2.20 GHz
RAM:4GB
Relevant Programs: NRoute/GPSGate/USGlobalSat Gps drivers
Product: GlobalSat BU-353

GPS Gate icon in SysTray is RED – indicating “No GPS or NMEA data is detected by GpsGate”
GPS light is flashing red
GPS Info program recognizes the GPS device, but then says:  “ComPort ERROR” when trying to start GPS
Disable Com Port in Device Manager, reconnect GPS
Installing Device Driver Software
Device Driver was NOT successfully installed

From Microsoft:
Please consult your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed
 (Code 31):
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.
Installed & ran:
   _IO Cable_PL-2303_Drivers - Generic_Windows_allinone_PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110
   windows_allinone_usb_driver

Reinstalled each driver twice, reinstalled GPSGate, checked GPSGate configuration

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Windows 7 64 bit - Windows cannot load driver
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:50:58 pm »

First, you need to uninstall the driver. You can do this by going to Control Panel > Programs > select PL2303 > Uninstall. Once the driver is removed, turn off your computer and wait for a few minutes. Power up your computer and download this driver: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip).

As for the GPSInfo program, right-click on its icon and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the box that states "Run this program as an administrator." Close that window. Now, plug in your device to a different USB port. Open up the said utility, select the appropriate com port (check Ports under Device Manager), and choose the 4800 baud rate. Click on 'Start GPS'.

Let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:06:39 pm by USG_TECH10 »

Backwoods Rambler

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

I followed your instructions to a tee. Same problem. Plugged reciever into port 5. Now the Device driver shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside it at port 5 (which of course populated once the reciever was plugged in. Again the system tried to load the driver but said it failed.

Tried again with another port (6 this time) after RE-downloading the driver (4th time) and got the exact same result.

Any other ideas?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:37 pm »

If a question mark or yellow error icon is displayed in the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMX) under Ports (COM & LPT), this is an indication that no driver is currently installed for the GPS receiver. To solve this problem, please follow the instructions below:

Plug the device to your computer to the same port that has the error icon. Open up the Device Manager. Expand Ports and right-click the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMX). Choose Update Driver Software and select 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Click on 'Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer' and press Next. Select the latest version of the driver, Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 3.3.11.152[3/12/2010] and click Next. This would install driver software. Once it's done, it would inform you that Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Now, test it with the GPSInfo utility. Let me know how it goes.

bizz

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »

Bringing this back up as I am having the exact same problems with my 353...

The driver fails to load when I use USB port 1 (COM3), with the message above, loads as far as the port goes when I use USB port 2 (COM7) but sees the dongle as a mouse(!), and seemingly loads correctly when I use USB port 3 (COM9), with no effects whatsoever in either the utility seeing it or any of the programs I intend to use recognising its there... In fact, when I tried Google Earth with COM9, Windows crashed completely (blue screen)... (I use the term USB port above to describe the three physical connectors on my machine)

I have tried every version of the Windows7 drivers (even the latest from Prolifics' site) with no success at all...

I guess there's just no proper driver then for Windows 7 64bit??? Or is it somewhere else? Any further attempts at resolving this?

Thanks!

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:26:16 pm »

Have you tried reinstalling and uninstalling the driver? First, uninstall the driver. Please refer to the instructions stated above. Afterwards, restart your computer.

Now, download and install this driver: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip

Plug-in your device and check your Device Manager to see the com port for the BU-353. To confirm that your device works properly, you need to utilize a program called GPSInfo. Download and unzip this file: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/vista_64bit_gps_info_utility.zip). Follow the instructions above to run this program as an administrator and to test the device with it. Make sure there is no programs running while using this utility.

Once you have confirmed that your device is working properly, close the GPSInfo program. Open up Google Earth. Please be noted that it is recommended to use COM3 for this program. Now, go to Tools > GPS > Realtime. Check the box that states 'Automatically follow the path' and click Start.

As for the blue screen issue, please refer to this forum post: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1123.0

Let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:28:21 pm by USG_TECH10 »

bizz

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:54:10 am »

Thanks for your reply.

I have actually done everything you described, tied every version of the driver and GPS Info utility (including the ones you have linked to) with no results (as described above).

The closest I got with the GPSInfo utility was a long pause on the correct port, followed by "NO GPS DEVICE" in the description. As I said, that was with COM9, where the driver seemed to load correctly... When I tried using the GPSInfo utility regardless on that port, all I got where some funny codepage characters...

Any further thoughts?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »

Can you please copy some of those 'funny codepage characters' and paste it here? Or perhaps, take a screenshot of those text? Thank you.

Also, check if the red light on the device is blinking.

bizz

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »

Thanks again, will try cutting and pasting when I am next with the laptop in question.

No light comes on at all actually  ???

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:46 pm »

Possibly, your device is in Sirf mode. Here's the link and instructions on how to get your device working again:

Download and install this software:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/SiRFDemo387.zip

Run the Sirf Demo software.

Connect your device, choose the correct COM port, and select the 4800 baud rate.

Go to Action > Open Data Source.

Next, go to Action > Switch to SiRF Protocol.

Then, go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol.

In the pop-up window, select the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.

Consequently, your red LED should turn on. Close the Sirf Demo software.

Now, try testing your GPS Receiver with the GPSInfo program to see if the problem persists.

Let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:48:20 pm by USG_TECH10 »

jconstable007

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:50:19 pm »

???  Recently got one of the BU-353's.  I have tried to install the drivers as per the instructions in this forum done it several times... downloaded the windows allinone driver as suggested five some odd times, just to make sure I was getting the correct one.  done everything to the letter and still no go...

here is what I have.
Laptop #1
Gateway NV52 series Laptop with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-65 processor.
350 gig HDD, 4 gigs of ram.
Windows 7 X64 Home.
Four USB 2.0 Ports
HDMI Video port

Laptop  #2
Dell Latitude CPX-j 650 MHz
512 Megs Ram
20 GIG HDD
Windows 2000 (with all the updates)
1 USB Port 1.1
PCMCIA to USB card two ports.

I know the BU-353 works, loaded drivers and installed perfectly first time on a WinXP Desktop.

On the Windows 7 system.
In the Hardware Devices it shows a Unknow Device with a Yellow Exclamation point under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and when I click on the "unknown device" the properties comes up and states "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"...there is NO Ports listing.  Shortly after plugging in the BU-353 in, windows pops up with a statement that the "USB Device Not Recognized"
Basically the same thing on the 2000 system.

Any Ideas, and please don't ask me to uninstall the drivers again and wait a couple of minutes and try a reload.  Every time I do I get the same results.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

When you downloaded the driver from the website, did you extract the file first before installing the driver application?

If a question mark or yellow error icon is displayed in the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMX) under Ports (COM & LPT), this is an indication that no driver is currently installed for the GPS receiver. To solve this problem, please follow the instructions below:

Plug the device to your computer to the same port that has the error icon. Open up the Device Manager. Expand Ports and right-click the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMX). Choose Update Driver Software and select 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Click on 'Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer' and press Next. Select the latest version of the driver, Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 3.3.11.152[3/12/2010] and click Next. This would install driver software. Once it's done, it would inform you that Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Now, plug-in the device and see if you obtain the same pop-up statement. Afterwards, test it with the GPSInfo utility. Let me know how it goes.

jconstable007

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:10 pm »

there lies the problem, my device manager does not show "Ports", unless I have a different USB to Serial device plugged in.  It only shows the "Unknown Device" under the Universal Serial Bus listing.

jconstable007

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »

to answer your first question, yes, I decompressed the files... one was the "driver file" one was a notice to Windows 7 users and another one.. for a total of three.  I even tried to run the driver installation as administrator.  For some unknown reason after I install the Driver, and reboot, my laptop does NOT show the driver being installed, except in the Control Panel > Programs and Features, it does show the software being loaded.  But in the Device Manager, there is nothing to indicate a newly installed driver.  After I plug in the BU-353, the device manager shows an Unknown Device under the USB Controllers section and that is it.  quess my laptops and windows 7 and 2000 has a issue with the driver.  even tried to manually install the driver by going to the update driver button on the "Unknown Device" and trying to manually select the driver in the C:\windows\system32\driverstore\file repository... that is the only place that I can find the Ser2PL driver listed.  Windows tells me that it has selected the best driver for my device.. basically over rides my selection.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

As for the Code 43 error, possibly click on the link below:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/f1ee80e0-9786-4287-89d6-a93187aec718

Perhaps, you can try the following instructions (on the links provided below) to be able to see the Ports under the Device Manager:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77583-ports-com-lpt-device-manager-missing.html
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/4a345aa2-e5b4-4368-854b-6fdaa512610e

Let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:53:22 pm by USG_TECH10 »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 20 queries.