USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ND-100S F.A.Q.'s  (Read 1921 times)

emadrid

• Administrator
ND-100S F.A.Q.'s
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »

ND-100S
USB GPS FAQ

1.) Q: What chipset is my ND-100S using?
1.) A:SiRF Star III

2.) Q: Is this device WAAS enable?
2.) A: Yes, all USB and Serial GPS Receivers that are sold by USGlobalSat, Inc and its Authorized Dealers are WAAS enabled by default.

3.) Q: How important is having WAAS enabled on your GPS receiver?
3.) A: It provides greater accuracy up to 3m.

4.) Q: What satellite identification number is used for WAAS and EGNOS?
4.) A: Satellite #33 (AoRE) is for EGNOS, Satellite #35 (AoRW) is for WAAS, and it has been suggested that Satellite #41 (PoR) will be used to indicate that data is being received from the Japanese MSAS system.

5.) Q: What datum is used?
5.) A: WGS 84

6.) Q: Is the ND-100 device waterproof?
6.) A: No.

7.) Q: What's the refresh rate?
7.) A: GGA(1sec), GSA(5sec), GSV(5sec), RMC(1sec)

8.) Q: What is the output format for this receiver?
8.) A: Output format: GGA(1sec), GSA(5sec), GSV(5sec), RMC(1sec),( VTG and GLL are optional)

9.) Q: How many satellites are needed for 3-D positioning?
9.) A: 4

10.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver? If so, what program?
10.) A: Yes. SirfDemo programming utility. Note, custom settings are temporary until the receiver has exhausted both the internal Super-Cap. Then the receiver will revert back to its original default settings.

11.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver's Baud-Rate? If so, what program?
11.) A: Yes. SirfDemo programming utility. Note, custom settings are temporary until the receiver has exhausted both the internal Super-Cap. Then the receiver will revert back to its original default settings.

12.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver's NMEA data? If so, what program?
12.) A: Yes. SirfDemo programming utility. Note, custom settings are temporary until the receiver has exhausted both the internal Super-Cap. Then the receiver will revert back to its original default settings.

13.) Q: Why does it take too long to lock the satellites. Sometimes it took as long as 7-9 minutes (solid green LED). Environment: highway, no high trees and buildings. What can I do to correct this?
13.) A: Using the ND-100S application, select a ìCold Startî to reset receiverís registers.

14.) Q: Why am I not getting any or very weak GPS signals even though my GPS receiver is directly under the windshield glass?
14.) A: Certain vehicles may be equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass that prevents GPS and RF signals from being received properly. Customers with these types of windshields must use an exterior GPS antenna for improved results for GPS applications. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these types of windshields, contact your dealer and request more information.

15.) Q: What platforms are supported?
15.) A: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.

16.) Q: What is the recommended maximum cable length for wired GPS devices USB? Serial?
16.) A: We recommend 1.5m (4.92 ft.)/ 3m (9.84 ft.) cable length for USB/ Serial GPS device. Greater the cable length , less sensitivity quality.

17.) Q: What can I do to prevent my device from having GRMC NMEA time stamp data problem?
17.) A: There is backed battery for SRAM and RTC (Real-Time Clock) to keep last stored position , date ,time , satellite data. When you power down GPS , backed battery will keep the last data. It can help us to achieve maximum acquisition performance. After a long period of time(about 4 hours, depend on different products) GPS is power off, backed battery will run out and last stored data will lose. When you re-start GPS, last stored data display at first if backed battery is still active. If backed battery is inactive , default parameters will display. Only after new GPS signals are received , correct data will display. It can explain why incorrect date display at first. In short , the receiver requires GPS data to update these parameters.

18.) Q: Does the current USB driver support Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
18.) A: Yes, it can be downloaded from the product page

19.) Q: What's the unit's current draw?
19.) A: < 55mA

20.) Q: What's the TX/ RX voltage?
20.) A: The voltage ratings are set to 5VDC.

21.) Q: How do we determine USB GPS receiverís real-time tracking status?
21.) A: Satellite status. BLUE LED Flashing = GPS position is fixed. BLUE LED Steady = No GPS position is fixed and searching.

22.) Q: Will my receiver support older NMEA standards?
22.) A: Yes, NMEA 2.0 is backwards compatible with older versions of the protocol. NOTE: If your map software (such as Street Atlas 5) requires data sentence GGA, and your GPS (such as the Magellan 3000) does not output GGA, then they will NOT work together.

23.) Q: Why isnít my device is not being detected by my software using WINDOWS platform. What troubleshooting steps do I take?
23.) A:

A.) First, connect the GPS receiver to your USB port.

B.) Second, from your START button, open CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER.

C.) Third, if a question mark or yellow error icon is displayed in the "PORTS (COM&LPT)" or "DEVICES/USB<->Serial" headings, this is an indication that no drivers are currently installed for the GPS receiver.

If the driver was shown already loaded, you would see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM X)" under the "PORTS (COM&LPT)" section. This is your USB GPS assigned COM Port number to use when configuring any utility or map program to access the GPS data. Be sure your GPS map or utility program has been configured to read the assigned COM port. ONLY IF A COM PORT WAS ASSIGNED TO THE PROLIFIC DRIVER AND YOUR GPS PROGRAM WAS CONFIGURED TO READ THE CORRECT COM PORT, AND YOU STILL CANNOT GET GPS DATA, continue with these steps:.

1.) From the START button select CONTROL PANEL > ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS.

2.) Select "PL-2303 USB-to-Serial" from the program list.

3.) Click on the REMOVE BUTTON

4.) RE-BOOT your computer

5.) Now re-install the Prolific driver for your USB GPS wether from the CD-ROM or the downloaded file from our web-site.

6.) Re-Boot your computer and follow the steps "A" to"C" in the GPS Driver Verification section above.

ND-100S GPS Test Utility

In the next stage, a GPS test application will be downloaded and used to view the receiver's activity or can be compare with your current loaded mapping application.This ND-100S program utility will provide you with viewable GPS data information needed for full receiver functionality validation.It is recommended that you first load and test your GPS receiver with the ND-100S Test. This process will confirm you have found correct COM port number and have configured it properly.

1. Run ND-100S GPS test utility.

2. Enter the proper COM port for your GPS device (see COM Port Verification above)

3. Set COM port & Baud rate to 4800

4. If no errors have been made in configuration, there should be GPS data being displayed in the window, which is confirmation that the communication between the GPS device and the ìND-100Sî software is working properly.

5. If there is no GPS data displayed (or data with multiple zeros in them), please exit the software and unplug the GPS receiver from the USB port and reinsert it after 10 seconds to reset the device.

Almost instantaneously, NMEA raw data strings will be display at a rate of one second intervals below the configuration settings indicate your GPS driver has beensuccessfully installed and configured. This ND-100S utility also can provide the user with satellite visibility and graphical signal strength representation from real-time satellites synchronization. Note: Three satellites are required for two dimension positioning (Latitude and Longitude). Four satellites are required for three-dimension positioning (Latitude, Longitude and Altitude).

24.) Q: Why isnít my device is not being detected by my software using MACINTOSH platform. What troubleshooting steps do I take?
24.) A:

In the initial stage, you need to identify if the appropriate drivers were loaded correctly. Two good sources to determine that your device's driver are properly installed are in System Profiler and System Preferences in the Operating System. A full description of instructions of how to access this handy information is provided below.First, shut your computer down, connect GPS receiver to your USB port and boot your Macintosh computer. Second, access the System Profiler utility. Select the apple icon on the top left hand side of the Apple menu. Then, select the following ìAbout This Macî->îMore InfoÖî-> Hardware->USB to display deviceís detection. Under USB Device Tree, you will view ìUSB Deviceî this pertains to your GPS USB receiver. Driver information can be found under USB Device window. Vendor Name, Speed, Product ID, and Bus (mA) will be provided. If no information is provided, this is an indication that no drivers are currently installed for this device to operate properly. Finally, under System Preferences, select Network, Show, and Network Port Configurations. Your device will appear as a ìusbserialî device in the Port Configurations box.This completes and confirms that your GPS USB drivers are fully installed and operational.

GPS Test Utility'

In the next stage, a GPS test application will be downloaded and used to view the receiver's activity or can be compare with your current loaded mapping application. This MiniCDU program utility will provide you with viewable GPS data information needed for full receiver functionality validation. First, launch the GPS Utility program this will display GPS coordinate data. Select "Settings" from the selections, a small window will appear with Port, Rate and Units fields. Configure the application settings to the following:

Port: /dev/cu.usbserial

Rate: 4800

Units: Miles

Then you may re-select the "Settings" selection to close configurations window. Select "Monitor" from the selections, a small window will appear with raw NMEA data strings displayed across at a rate of less than one second intervals. Select "Satellites" a real-time window satellite information can be viewed. Within two-minute window period, your first GPS fix should be acquired. This Satellites window will provide the user with real-time satellite visibility and green graphical signal strength representation from real-time satellites synchronization data. Note: Three satellites are required for two dimension positioning. Two dimension positioning reports position only. Four satellites are required for three-dimension positioning, that is to say position and elevation. If you are still having issues, try reinstalling the driver by going to your System/Library/Extensions folder and search for "ProlificUsbSerial.kext" and delete that file. Make sure the ND-100S is unplugged and restart your computer. Then after the restart, reinstall the driver. After the install, it will ask you to restart the computer again. You can reference this document on how to install the driver (http://www.usglobalsat.com/download/57/br355_gps_mac_v2.0.pdf). After your computer is restarted, then plug in the BU-353 and use our GPS Utility to test your ND-100S

25.) Q: Can I alter the GPS datum?
25.) A: Unfortunately, you cannot alter the GPS datum.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:09:51 pm by USG_TECH10 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.