USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modify ND-100 to add external aerial.  (Read 1694 times)

TheRadioDoctor

Modify ND-100 to add external aerial.
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:17:06 am »

I have an ND-100 which I would like to use for time sync purposes.
The server to be synchronized is in the sub-basement and will need an external aerial to enable GPS reception.

The aerial is no problem, I have a Motorola unit being fed with a home-made DC injector to power it.

The question...  Having opened the ND-100 I am presented with this component, which I am presuming is the GPS receiver and aerial.

See image ...   http://toysdownunder.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/0/0/00465-03-L.jpg

So, to where do I solder the inner of my coaxial cable?

to the small disc in the centre, that looks like it has a solder connection from the underside already made?

or, to the larger square plate surrounding the disc, which I am taking to be the aerial for the USB dongle.

Obviously the coax shield needs a common ground point on the receiver - this to be determined in due course.

Any constructive thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,

Phil.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Modify ND-100 to add external aerial.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »

According to our company policy, the warranty for this device will be terminated once it is modified by the user. It is recommended that you should not do any modification for this device.

If it is necessary to incorporate the external antenna to this device, here is a possible solution as stated by our engineers:

Based on the diagram, there is a circular RF test contact pin the back of the mother PCB. It will be the most suitable location to connect the external antenna. The center part of the circular contact pin is for connecting the signal line and the circumferential copper ring is for connecting the ground line both coming from the external antenna. Per this instructions, the external antenna would work. However, the GPS sensitivity would be not so good as tested by our RF engineers.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.