USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BU 353 drops out with navigation program  (Read 8785 times)

djmarchand

• Regular Members
BU 353 drops out with navigation program
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:02 pm »

I have a B-353 running on Win 7 on a netbook. While using a navigational program, OpnCPN the gps will drop out and gps function is lost. This even happens while using the ubiquitous termnial program Hyperterminal.

This is not an isolated incident and is the subject of an extensive thread(s) on Cruisers Forum. Everyone it seems that uses the BU-353 reports the same thing.

Any thoughts?

David

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: BU 353 drops out with navigation program
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »

Understood. We were wondering how many times would this happen and how it would come to that. Moreover, does the red light blink during these times?

Can you also please take a screenshots of these occurrences? Thanks.

In the meantime, can you test the device with the GPSInfo? It is a testing utility to make sure the device is working properly. You can download it from here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/vista_32bit_gps_info_utility.zip

See if the device will do the same thing in the same amount of time with this program. Let me know how it goes.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:31:20 pm by USG_TECH10 »

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:02 am »

GPSInfo works indefinitely, at least all last night.

The navigation program OpnCPN drops out usually after 1 hour. Hyperterminal which is an old, old termimal program which sends and receives data from any selected com port drops out after 20 minutes to one hour.

When these applications stop receiving GPS data, the stream of NMEA sentances stops in Hyperterminal and the boat icon locks in OpnCpn. So there isn't any point in screen shots.

One difference though. In OpnCPN when it locks, the com port is gone in device manager. But in Hyperterminal it is still there but is not passing any sentances.

David

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:57:54 am »

Oh and the light on the GPS stays blinking in all cases.

David

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »

We just need to clarify a couple of things first:

Have you installed the latest drivers for this device? If not, you need to uninstall the driver first. You can do this by going to Control Panel > Programs > select PL2303 > Uninstall. Once the driver is removed, turn off your computer and wait for a few minutes. Power up your computer and download this driver: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip). Make sure to extract the file and install the exe file.

Plug in the device and check the Device Manager. You can do this by right-clicking on Computer > Manage > Computer Management > System Tools > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > Prolific to USB Serial Comm Port (COMXX). Try to wiggle the device's cable around and see if it kept appearing and disappearing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:30:56 pm by USG_TECH10 »

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:36:10 pm »

USG-Tech:

I installed the latest Prolific driver from their website a few weeks ago as part of the troubleshooting I have done. It is dated 3/12/2010. It didn't help.

I understand the one on your web site is a 2009 version and that is the one I had before installing the 2010 Prolific driver.  It didn't work either.

I don't think that the connector is the problem. I can clearly hear a faint bell tone when I unplug and replug the connection. This doesn't happen in normal operation. The usb plug is solid and is making good contact.

When I do unplug it using GPSinfo I have to Close GPS and then Start GPS to get it running again.

David

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:12 pm »

USG-Tech:

Here is one other tidbit. When the GPS locks up using the navigation program OpnCPN, then it is impossible to reconnect without rebooting the PC. But when I unplug the GPS and replug it I can get it to work again simply by closing OpnCPN and restarting.

David

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:20:17 am »

And here is another tidbit. When the GPS locks up with OpnCPN I close it. Then I open GPSinfo and hit start gps. Nothing happens. Then if I try to close GPSinfo it won't easily close. I have to hit the x icon several times and then the OS tells me that the program isn't responding and do I wish to close it. So I say yes.

So something is happening when the GPS locks up with OpnCPN that affects GPSinfo.

David

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

USG-Tech:

Here is one other tidbit. When the GPS locks up using the navigation program OpnCPN, then it is impossible to reconnect without rebooting the PC. But when I unplug the GPS and replug it I can get it to work again simply by closing OpnCPN and restarting.

David

Have you tried plugging in the device to different USB ports? Did you have the same problem?
When it locks up, does the red light on the device still blink?

Does this also occur with another computer? Or this problem only happens with this one?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »

And here is another tidbit. When the GPS locks up with OpnCPN I close it. Then I open GPSinfo and hit start gps. Nothing happens. Then if I try to close GPSinfo it won't easily close. I have to hit the x icon several times and then the OS tells me that the program isn't responding and do I wish to close it. So I say yes.

So something is happening when the GPS locks up with OpnCPN that affects GPSinfo.

David

Keep in mind that you cannot use the GPSInfo and the OPnCPN at the same time. If you want to utilize both of the programs simultaneously, you can use a software called XPort. For more information on how to configure this, please click on the link: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1567.0

Also, can you set the buffers for the device's com port to 1? You can do this by going to your Device Manager and navigate to your Prolific Com Port. Right-click on it and select Properties. Go to Port Settings and press the Advanced button. Set the Receive and Transmit buffers to 1. Click OK and again.

One more thing, what is the firmware version of the device? In order to determine this, open up the GPSInfo utility. Select the proper com port and baud rate. Click on Start GPS. After a few seconds, press the Cold Start button. In the first few NMEA sentences, you should be able to see the version. It should look like something below:

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 05:59:18 pm »

USG_Tech:

I realise that you cannot have two applications accessing a usb port simultaneously. I only reported what each application does to help solve the problem. Each seems to behave differently.

Here is the firmware version:

$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.5.0_3.5.00.00-SDK-3EP2.01 *46
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-1005051*2D

I have reset the FIFO buffers to 1 (they were 14) and am now running the OpnCPN application to see what happens. Seems to me that this will worsen the problem.

I will report what happens in an hour or earlier if it locks up.

David

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »

The GPS locked up after 20 minutes under OpnCPN. I will install the application, GPS and drivers on another PC and try it, but that pc is running Vista.

David

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »

USG_Tech:

I realise that you cannot have two applications accessing a usb port simultaneously. I only reported what each application does to help solve the problem. Each seems to behave differently.

Here is the firmware version:

$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.5.0_3.5.00.00-SDK-3EP2.01 *46
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-1005051*2D

I have reset the FIFO buffers to 1 (they were 14) and am now running the OpnCPN application to see what happens. Seems to me that this will worsen the problem.

I will report what happens in an hour or earlier if it locks up.

David

In a separate email, I will be sending you the current firmware along with the firmware update tool and instructions. Also, check your SPAM folder if you could not find it in your Inbox. Make sure to carefully read the instructions first.

Once you're done upgrading the firmware, can you please test it once more and see if you still encounter the same problem?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:52:23 pm by USG_TECH10 »

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

The GPS locked up after 20 minutes under OpnCPN. I will install the application, GPS and drivers on another PC and try it, but that pc is running Vista.

David

Just keep me in the loop with your testings in another computer. Thanks.

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »

I have been running Hyperterminal for almost an hour with no lock up. I'll let it run for another hour and see what happens.

I got your new firmware update link. I will install it on the Win 7 pc after the above test on the Vista PC is finished and see what happens.

David
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 19 queries.