USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BU 353 drops out with navigation program  (Read 8944 times)

djmarchand

• Regular Members
Re: BU 353 drops out with navigation program
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 11:58:51 pm »

USG_Tech:

Well I am at the end of my rope here. First the GPS works fine under a Vista system. No real surprise here. Everyone said that it was a problem with Win 7.

Secondly your link to burn new firmware into my GPS was incormprehensible. Yes I downloaded it, but I don't know where to start. After not being able to read the help file because Win 7 doesn't support this help file format, I downloaded a help file reader from MS. Which was a PIA because it wasn't obvious whether I have a 32 or 64 bit Win 7 version. But I finally got it by trial and error. That help file wasn't much help because it talked about things I haven't a clue about, like chip select and chip select offset.

And then when  I tried to run one of the two application files, Sirflash 3.33 it told me that it was missing a dll file. I tried running the other one, Sirflashcl and I got a brief flash of something on the screen and then nothing.

So I am beyond frustrated and unless you can give me step by step instructions, I give up. Tell me where to send my BU-353 back for replacement or firmware reprograming if that is what it takes to make it work. If that is not possible then I will send it back to where I bought it for a refund.  I am reasonably pc literate, but this is beyond the pale for us mere mortals.

David

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:19 pm »

We have some computers here with Windows 7 and did not came across with that issue. Possibly, you have some conflicting drivers that is causing this problem or there is something wrong with your computer.

For the step-by-step instructions, a pdf document was included in the file with the filename 'How to burn firmware'. In that file, it states how to upgrade the firmware of your device.

As a last resort, you can contact your dealer regarding this problem to either ask for a replacement or refund.

djmarchand

• Regular Members
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »

Several members of the OpnCPN support forum reported the same problem with Win 7, although several reported that it worked fine with Win 7.  Seems to be totally random.

But in any case I purchased a TranSystem GM-2 which works fine. It has a different USB/UART chip and driver from the BU-353. So consider this case closed.

David

Wastl

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 11:03:28 am »

Hello,

i've got the same problem like djmarchand. I already updated the prolific drivers to the newest version. The firmware of the BU353 is 3.50.
With gpsinfo the connection lasts two hours (after that i stopped) but if i use Garmin Mobile PC the device loses the connection after a time, some minutes to an hour, everything's possible. The device is still up and is shown in Garmin but it cannot be activated (Garmin calls it's this way). The only way to get it back working is unplug it.
I tried (almost) everything. The drivers are up to date, the voltage at the device is 5.01V, i tried several USB Ports but nothing works.

Maybe you can send me the newest firmware or have any other idea how to get it working. Else i have to buy an expensive ublox6 device ;)

Greetings from Germany,

Sebastian

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

Hello Sebastian,

Welcome to the forums! Just a couple of questions:

What is the operating system and version of your computer?
Have you tried just letting the GPSInfo (our test program) run for a couple of hours or so? Did you encounter the same issue? Did it lost the connection?
How about on other computers? Did you experience the same thing?

Regarding the Garmin Mobile PC, please keep in mind that most of our GPS Receivers would work with a NMEA-compliant software. If it's not NMEA-compliant, then, you could possibly use a third-party application, which is the GPSGate. You can find more info about it here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gps%20gate&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CF8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgpsgate.com%2F&ei=KkAQUIXRMa_qiwLWs4DQCQ&usg=AFQjCNGsSNpcLqSooaMOUI_i8BZ5dyTY4Q

Wastl

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »

Hello,

and thanks for your quick answer. I use Windows 7 and what do you mean with version of my computer?

GPSInfo ran 2 hours without a failure. This night i will try to let it run on another computer with the garmin navigation and look if i get the same error, but i reinstalled Windows 7 several times and the error occured every time.

I wonder what Firmware Version is the newest?

Greetings, Sebastian

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 05:24:45 pm »

What I mean by version, if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. Please let me know if this is clear and confirm what's the version of your computer.

In another computer, you can try testing the GPSInfo program with the BU-353 and see if you could duplicate the issue with it. If you did not encounter that problem with the other computer, then, there is nothing wrong with the BU-353 since it's confirmed that it works with both computers and the test program as well.

By the way, how were you able to make the device work with the Garmin program? Like I mentioned earlier, most our devices should be able to work with a NMEA-compliant software. If it's a non-NMEA compliant program, then, you can use a third party application with it. Are you using a third-party program to connect the BU-353 with the Garmin program?

Regarding the firmware version, can you please provide the current firmware of the device? To do so, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3514.msg8979#msg8979

Wastl

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:52 pm »

First of all, here's the Version of my GPS:
$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.5.0_3.5.00.00-SDK-3EP2.01 *46
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-1005051*2D

Oh you mean what version of windows. I'm using Ultimate 32bit.
Garmin can work with the BU353 out of box. And no I'm not using any third party program.

The connection only breaks if i'm driving around, if the computer stands still it works for hours. But if i drive through tunnels, places where you have no signal the GPS has to "work" more, and there the potential to break is higher, in my opinion.
I tested it on 2 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate PCs, not moving, and the signal wasn't lost for hours. But, for example yesterday. I drove for 40 minutes and it worked great. Then i drove back and it worked only 3 minutes.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 01:59:06 pm »

Thanks for providing the firmware version and the version of your operating system.

Got it. Thanks for the info about not using any third-party program with the BU-353.

Thanks for providing additional details. Based on your explanation, the connection breaks down if you drive through tunnels or driving around in urban area. Actually, what happened was that the GPS fix was lost because you drove through the tunnel or in an urban place. It did not break or lose the connection to the software; instead, the program possibly means that it loses a GPS fix. Perhaps, you could check out user manual of that Garmin software and see what it means.

Since the ideal environment for most of our GPS Receivers is clear, open sky with no tall trees or buildings around, going through the tunnel or urban area blocked the device's access to an open sky. More info can be found here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3780.msg9921#msg9921

Just wondering, did it get a fix when you drove out of the tunnel or somewhere where you have a clear access to an open sky?

Also, in order to provide further support, can you please register the product and generate a support ticket? we recommend that you visit our website: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/signin.aspx?ReturnURL=/store/support/). Register your product and generate a "Support Ticket" from within our system.

If you had purchased the item from the USGlobalSat website, you should already have a customer account and password. You can immediately log-in using that info. If you purchased it from one of our authorized resellers, you will need to establish a NEW account at: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/createaccount.aspx

By working within our support structure, we do not only address your specifc issue in a timely manner, but also maintain a history of your incident to ensure that it is handled with appropriate actions. It's not only now, but for all potential future communications as well.

We again thank you for your patience and cooperation.

WARRANTY POLICY
Please read our posted warranty policy, especially on how it pertains to sellers of USGlobalSat product on e-Bay & other unauthorized resellers: http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-131-terms-conditions.aspx#12

Wastl

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 11:19:33 pm »

Nono you missunderstood me, the connection is ok when i leave the tunnel again. I only ment that the gps device is more stressed while driving then standing.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »

Can you please explain what you meant by 'more stressed while driving than standing'? Does it means it's having a hard time getting a fix when you're driving around compared to device in a stationary position? If not, can you please explain further?
What is the testing environment? Are you driving around a city? Please describe the environment.
Also, where do you position the BU-353? Is it on top of your car? Or, is it inside?
By the way, have you tested the device with the GPSInfo while you're driving around? Did you get the same issue as well?

Moreover, have you been able to register the product and generate a support ticket within our system? Please confirm.

JWalker

• Regular Members
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:39 am »

I will add another case to this thread because I have the identical problem.  I have read everything and I may have it fixed, time will tell.  I have Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, and use the BU 353 for DeLorme Street Atlas.  The receiver worked fine when I had my XP computer but began to have screen lock and computer crash problems when I switched to Win 7.  What I have changed since reading this thread is the following.  I went to Device Manager and opened the Prolific Driver.  It was set to 9600 BAUD and I changed it to 4800 BAUD.  I changed the speed of send and receive from 14 to 1.  I cannot find a way to determine my firmware version.  I have GPS Info version S-OPC-07-1109151.  The first two lines don't show the firmware#.  My BU 353 is about seven years old so no doubt the firmware is out of date.  My problems may be solved now with the setting changes.  It will take a while to see if a freeze occurs.  If it is the settings I wonder how they came up this way when I made a normal installation.  Reading the DeLorme forum I see that some others there have my exact problem.  Thanks for your help.

tdbone1

• Regular Members
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 12:00:05 pm »

I would also like to add to this thread but my experience is in reverse of the ops.
i have win7 home premium 64bit
the gps device works flawless.
note i removed the capacitor in the device so if i remove power it does a complete factory reset.

so let me explain the testing i did
with windows 7 and the prolific 1.60 driver installed and booted up i plug in my BU-353 device.
it will usually take up to 30-50mins to get a good stable lock.
i run no other programs at all (no sirf demo and no gps info)
i only plug it in after win7 boots up.
it never loses gps position (always has a good fix)
Windows 7 works good!

now here is where my problem is
ubuntu 12.04 desktop amd64 (with gpsd and gpsd-clients REMOVED)
i let ubuntu 12.04 boot up
i then plug in the BU-353 (same exact location where i plugged the device in for windows)
it will get a gps fix sometimes but even after it does it will lose the fix.
in ubuntu it loses the fix all the time (sometimes the red light will blink when fix is lost and sometimes the red light is solid)
windows 7 keeps the fix and ubuntu 12.04 can not keep the fix.

dont forget with windows 7 and ubuntu i only boot to desktop and plug in the gps device and i do not start any software
I will sometimes do stty and set baud rate to 4800 but it still does same thing in ubuntu
it loses fix.

what i am wondering is does windows7 driver communicate with the device somehow while the linux driver is not?
i think this is a driver issue?

also another question if the BU-353 was not connected to a computer and only the usb cable + and - pins were connected to 5v would the gps device still get a lock and the red light flash?
i mean a computer really isnt needed is it?
thanks

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

I will add another case to this thread because I have the identical problem.  I have read everything and I may have it fixed, time will tell.  I have Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, and use the BU 353 for DeLorme Street Atlas.  The receiver worked fine when I had my XP computer but began to have screen lock and computer crash problems when I switched to Win 7.  What I have changed since reading this thread is the following.  I went to Device Manager and opened the Prolific Driver.  It was set to 9600 BAUD and I changed it to 4800 BAUD.  I changed the speed of send and receive from 14 to 1.  I cannot find a way to determine my firmware version.  I have GPS Info version S-OPC-07-1109151.  The first two lines don't show the firmware#.  My BU 353 is about seven years old so no doubt the firmware is out of date.  My problems may be solved now with the setting changes.  It will take a while to see if a freeze occurs.  If it is the settings I wonder how they came up this way when I made a normal installation.  Reading the DeLorme forum I see that some others there have my exact problem.  Thanks for your help.

Hello JWalker,

Welcome to the forums! Good to hear that you got the device to work properly. If you do encounter screen lock/computer crash problems, you can possibly refer to this forum posting for troubleshooting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1123.0

In order to determine the firmware version of the device, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3514.msg8979#msg8979

Thanks.

JWalker

• Regular Members
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:54 am »

Hello JWalker,

Welcome to the forums! Good to hear that you got the device to work properly. If you do encounter screen lock/computer crash problems, you can possibly refer to this forum posting for troubleshooting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1123.0

In order to determine the firmware version of the device, please refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3514.msg8979#msg8979

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.  It will take quite a while before I declare victory because screen freezes are sometimes rare.  Of course they are unacceptable because they can occur while navigating and dealing with the problem then is very difficult.  I have tried to determine my firmware but my GPS Info doesn't show it.  I must have another version than you do.  I have tried to download and install the one you referenced but I got the same one I had.  So for now could you check the versions of what I am using?  My driver is Prolific Technology V 1.6.0 (7-26-12) and GPS Info is S-OPC-07-1109151.  Is it your experience that using updated firmware eliminates problems with Win 7?  Finally, I have changed the send/receive speeds to "1" but I wonder why this isn't done automatically when installing your driver?  If it can be done it sure would help a lot of people, many of whom will just throw your product away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 19 queries.