USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ND-100S win7 x64 drivers won't install  (Read 4241 times)

executedvariable

• Regular Members
ND-100S win7 x64 drivers won't install
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:41 pm »

With both the all-in-one driver and the one intended for just the ND-100S I get the following error during install:

Specify the location of the file setup.exe to continue.

I'm given the option to specify the location of setup.exe and by default it is set to where the initial installer extracted it to %TEMP%/{BLAH}/.  There is a setup.exe in this folder, upon telling it to use this folder (and thus the setup.exe within it) the same error message reappears.  I have also tried specifying the setup.exe inside the Data1 folder (in %TEMP%/{BLAH}/Data1) which results in the same behavior.  Running the higher level setup.exe manually results in the same.  Running the setup.exe from the Data1 directory results in complaints about a missing data2.cab (which is, in fact, missing.)

How do I get the drivers for the ND-100S to install?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: ND-100S win7 x64 drivers won't install
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:58:02 pm »

First, we need to confirm whether you have the driver installed or not, please follow the instructions below:

To check if you have it installed, do this by going to Control Panel > Programs. Scroll down the list of the programs and verify if you see the PL2303 USB-to-Serial. If it's installed, highlight the said program and click Uninstall. Once the driver is removed, turn off your computer and wait for a few minutes. Power up your computer and download this driver: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/590/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip). Make sure to extract the file first before installing the driver.

If the driver is not in the list of Programs, just directly download the driver.

Plug in the device with the provided extension cable and check the Device Manager. You can do this by right-clicking on Computer > Manage > Computer Management > System Tools > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > Prolific to USB Serial Comm Port (COMXX).

To test your device, please download the ND-100S GPS Test Utility: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/590/nd-100_gps_test_setup.zip). Open it up and extract it. Bring your computer outside where there is clear access to the sky and there are no tall buildings or trees around that area.

In the said utility, select the correct com port, choose the appropriate baud rate, and press the Connect button. You should see some scrolling data on the Terminal window. Also, check if the blue light is blinking.

Let me know how it goes.

For more downloads and info, refer to this page: http://www.usglobalsat.com/corp/p-590-nd-100s.aspx#images/product/large/590.jpg
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:35:34 pm by USG_TECH10 »

executedvariable

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:17 pm »

I am unable to get that far, the driver is not installing; the symptoms are the same as I reported in my earlier post.

"PL2303 USB-to-Serial" does not show up in the list of removable programs.
"Prolific to USB Serial Comm Port (COMX)" does not show up in device manager.
I have nothing to report on the test utility since there's no COM port to get data from, of course.  And, naturally, the blue LED does not blink.

It may be pertinent that beyond win7/x64, this is a win7 home premium system.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »

Are you trying to download the driver from our website (http://www.usglobalsat.com/corp/s-124-nd-100s-support.aspx) or from the CD that came with it? It is recommended to download the driver directly from our website because it's being updated regularly.

Once you have saved the driver (windows_all_in_one_usb_driver.zip)file, make sure to extract (http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/unzip-a-file-or-folder/) it first and install the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v130.exe.

The setup.exe file that you are trying to install is possibly the ND-100S GPS Test Utility, which is a program used for testing the said device. If you're getting an error to install that, please download it from our website: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/590/nd-100_gps_test_setup.zip
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:34:49 pm by USG_TECH10 »

executedvariable

• Regular Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »

The error message from my original post does occur with the drivers from your website.  As I mentioned in my first post the install starts and does not complete due to the error message specified above.  Your driver installer creates the %TEMP%/{BLAH} directory as a temporary place to store its install files.  One of these is the setup.exe I refer to (the other is in a subdirectory of this folder.)  My point is that even by manually running the (various) setup.exe(s) that are created by PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.exe the driver will not install.

For what it's worth, the test utility installs without issue.  But my question remains as to what I need to do in order to get the driver itself to actually complete its installation.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:07:04 pm »

Understood. Try this link (http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO%20Cable/PL-2303/Drivers%20-%20Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v130.zip) and see if it works. If not, can you please provide screenshots of this error message? Thanks.

executedvariable

• Regular Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:25:07 pm »

Same issue with that file.

First I start that .exe, it loads for a minute and then presents me with this screen:

I hit next and almost immediately this pops up:

Hitting "Ok" merely makes the window disappear for a moment and then reappear.  Cancel, of course, cancels the setup.

Here's the location where it is looking for setup.exe:

Note that there is a setup.exe present there.  Running this setup.exe starts the installer (same screens that I've pasted here.)

There is a subfolder, it contains:

Setting the installer to use this setup.exe also doesn't work.  The message disappears and then reappears instantly.  Running this setup.exe individually leads to the missing data2.cab message, as there is no data2.cab in the folder.

So no matter how i try to use any of these exes I can't get it to install.  Hopefully the images help explain what's happening.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »

Thank you so much for the screenshots. The problem is much clearer with these pictures.

Correct me if I'm wrong, when you try to download and save the driver file, do you save it in your removable flash drive? Please take out the flash drive in doing so. Save the driver directly into your Desktop. Extract or unzip it first and install the Prolific Driver Installer. Let me know how it goes.

Normally, our drivers doesn't ask the user to locate the setup. exe file. It goes through the installation process by itself. Once it's done, you basically click on the 'Finish' button to exit out of the window.

executedvariable

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »

I had redefined the Windows variable %TEMP% to be on a removable device to spare the main drive (an SSD) from extraneous writes.  Redefining this back to the C: drive did allow me to install the drivers successfully -- many thanks!

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:31 pm »

Good to hear that you successfully installed the driver, and thanks for the update. Let me know if you have any questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 20 queries.