USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BU-353 Died on Windows 8  (Read 3173 times)

drwain

BU-353 Died on Windows 8
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:22:21 pm »

Hi,

I have an issue using BU-353 on a Windows 8 tablet. Before you jump in a say it hasn't been tested/doesn't work/etc, IT WAS WORKING!
The hardware is a Shenzhen tablet with Intel Atom N455 CPU and 2 GB of RAM, with 2 x USB 2.0 ports.
The OS is Windows 8 Release Review.
When I first purchased the tablet and installed Windows 8 on it the BU-353 worked immediately after installing the supplied drivers - seamlessly. I was impressed.
Then, 2 weeks ago, it stopped working. Device manager reported an error code 10 - device cannot be started.
I tried various downloaded drivers, restored the tablet to a previous backup and finally reloaded OS from scratch.
Device Manager is still reporting error code 10 - however if I do a search for updates online the error disappears but the device is still not found in GPSInfo.

The BU-353 is working correctly on my Windows 7 laptop - which has been upgraded from x86 to x64 and it still works with the original supplied drivers.

Do you have any advice other than the drivers solutions that are all over the internet (all-in-one driver, v1.03)

Regards,

Dave Wain

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: BU-353 Died on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forums! Just a couple of questions:

You mentioned that you got it to work with Windows 8 when you first purchased the BU-353. Did you test it with the GPSInfo program? Also, did you test it with other programs?
Did you encounter any issues while you're testing the device and the programs?

Have you tried restarting your computer?
How about plugging in the device directly to another USB port?

Also, when you tried downloading various driver, have you ever uninstalled any of them?
If so, did you uninstall them from your Control Panel and restarted the computer?

When you open up the GPSInfo, is the Com Port field blank? If so, please right-click on its icon and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the box that states 'Run this program as an administrator' under Privilege Level. Click Apply and OK. Then, close down all the programs that you have running since the device would not be able to use two software at the same time.

By the way, can you please register your product and generate a support ticket within our system? Please check your email for further instructions.

USG_Tech12

• Administrator
Re: BU-353 Died on Windows 8
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:09 pm »

Unfortunately, due to the specific version of the PL2303 Prolific Chipset used in the BU-353, it will not be compatible with Windows 8. Although, just recently, we may have found a work around, please refer to this forum post: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4464.msg14047#msg14047

If you're looking for a USB GPS Receiver that is fully compatible with Windows 8, we highly recommend the new BU-353-S4, which uses the new SiRF Star IV chipset that offers better performance, faster time to fix and better accuracy: http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-688-bu-353-s4.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 19 queries.