USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BT-821 F.A.Q.'s  (Read 1650 times)

emadrid

• Administrator
BT-821 F.A.Q.'s
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:32:23 pm »

BT-821 Bluetooth GPS FAQ

1.) Q: How many satellites can it use simultaneously?
1.) A:  The chipset can handle 14 satellites simultaneously. Providing user with excellent signal reception.

2.) Q: What GPS chipset does it utilized?         
2.) A: This GPS uses a high performance MTK chipset.

3.) Q: Is this device WAAS enable?
3.) A: Yes, the device is WAAS enabled by default sold by USGlobalSat, Inc and its Authorized Dealers            .

4.) Q: Is this device EGNOS enable?
4.) A: Yes, the device is EGNOS enabled by default sold by USGlobalSat, Inc and its Authorized Dealers            .

5.) Q: Is this device MSAS enable?
5.) A: Yes, the device is MSAS enabled by default sold by USGlobalSat, Inc and its Authorized Dealers            .

6.) Q: What datum is used?
6.) A: WGS 84 

7.) Q: Is this device waterproof?   
7.) A: No…       

8.) Q: What are the default NMEA data output format?           
8.) A: NMEA sentences include: GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC,VTG, GLL   

9.) Q: How many satellites are needed for 3-D positioning?   
9.) A: A minimum of 4 satellites (3 for 2-D no altitude)         

10.) Q: What is the default baud rate?       
10.) A: The default baud rate is 38200 bytes per second.

11.) Q: How many GPS channels are available?
11.) A: The device offers 32 GPS channels.

12.) Q: What platforms are supported?     
12.) A: A better answer. Most devices with Bluetooth communication capabilities. (Check Manufacturer Specs incorporating the “SPP” Bluetooth profile)           

13.) Q: What is the Blue LED indicator represent?     
13.) A: Bluetooth communication status. Blinking (Slowly) once per three seconds=No Bluetooth connection. Blinking (Quickly) once per second=Bluetooth connection established.   

14.) Q: What is the Amber LED indicator represent?     
14.) A: Power indicator status. Unit is charging with external power plugged in. Red= Battery Low requires charging immediately. Amber= Battery charging.  LED off=Battery fully charge.   

15.) Q: What is the Green LED indicator represent?     
15.) A: Satellite status. Green LED Flashing once per second =GPS position is fixed. Green LED Steady= No GPS position is fixed and searching.       

16.) Q: My GPS shuts down after a period of time. Why?
16.) A: Power-saving function. This unit is programmed to shut off automatically after 10 minutes if not communicating with another Bluetooth device.

17.) Q: What's the unit's Bluetooth transmission radius?
17.) A: Ten meters (10m) Class 2 is unit's maximum Bluetooth transmission radius with “SPP” Serial Port Profile support.         

18.) Q: When I turn the power on, does it actually start the GPS or the BT module?   
18.) A: Both start at the same time, if no BT connection is made within ten minutes, then both will turn off.         

19.) Q: What are the charger's electrical specifications (voltage, amps, pin size, etc) for this unit?       
19.) A: 4.6 / 6V @ 1A - 3.5mm iPAQ power jack     

20.) Q: How much accuracy is comprised without utilizing WAAS?         
20.) A: Since Selective Availability (SA) was removed in May 2000, the residual GPS error of approximately 10 meters is mostly due to GPS signal deflection that the SBAS system can only marginally correct (I have never been able to measure any improvement from EGNOS but others have seen 1/2 meters with WAAS). On the other hand SBAS is crucial for critical use such as flying a plane as it allows for near real time GPS signal integrity checking.       

21.) Q: Does the BT-821 supports multiple bonding/pairing so it can be used with more than one Bluetooth partner at the same time?     
21.) A: Unfortunately, it does not support this feature.           

22.) Q: Will my receiver support older NMEA standards?     
22.) A: Yes, NMEA is backwards compatible with older versions of the protocol. NOTE:  If your map software (such as Street Atlas 5) requires data   
sentence GGA, and your GPS (such as the Magellan 3000) does not           
output GGA, then they will NOT work together.         

23.) Q: What is the meaning of "baud rate"?   
23.) A: Baud rate is really the rate of bit transitions on the serial data link. Since each byte of data adds a start and stop bit, it is 10 bits long, and 38400 baud is 38400 bytes per second. Faster bit rates transfer more bytes per second, i.e., greater bandwidth.     

24.) Q: Why is my GPS receiver detected by Bluetooth but no communication is being established to GPSInfo or my third party mapping application?   
24.) A: In most cases, users do not assign an “Outgoing Port” from the Bluetooth Manager. In effect, the BT-821 receivers cannot transmit and establish communication with the third-party navigation program. If problems persists, continue by removing  rechargeable battery for a period of 4-8 hours. This action allows the device to reset.

25.) Q: Why does my receiver fail to acquire satellite information after in use from a flight? 
25.) A: Under GPSInfo, perform a cold start. In result, the BT-821 will reset its registers for terrestrial coordinate calculation.     

26.) Q: What the official time is required to fully charge the unit from having the red led flashing?   
26.) A: Four to six hours.

27.) Q: What is the battery’s life?   
27.) A: Battery’s life is calculated to operate for 23 hours continuously.

28.) Q: What satellite identification number is used for WAAS and EGNOS?
28.) A: Satellite #33 (AoRE) is for EGNOS, Satellite #35 (AoRW) is for WAAS, and it has been suggested that Satellite #41 (PoR) will be used to indicate that data is being received from the Japanese MSAS system.

29.) Q: Cannot connect to BT-821. When doing a discover i see the BT-821. But i cannot establish a serial connection. What I can do?
29.) A: Change original microsoft windows XP bluetooth stack. Instead of the stack provided from IBM ( widcomm )

30.) Q: Lately it takes too long to lock the satellites. Sometimes it took as long as 7-9 minutes (solid green LED). Environment: highway, no high trees and buildings. What can I do to correct this?
30.) A: Remove rechargeable battery for a period of 4-8 hours.

31.) Q: Why am I not getting any or very weak GPS signals even though my GPS receiver is directly under the windshield glass?
31.) A: Certain vehicles may be equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass that prevents GPS and RF signals from being received properly. Customers with these types of windshields must use an exterior GPS antenna for improved results for GPS applications. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these types of windshields, contact your dealer and request more information. This vehicle list may not be complete and may updated from time-to-time.
See: http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/info/exteriortags.html

32.) Q: The unit cannot be powered on by battery no matter how long I charged the battery. What can I do to correct the problem?
32.) A: Be certain all three BT-821 battery cooper contacts are mating with rechargeable battery.

33.) Q: The battery light didn't turn orange while the unit was being charged.  What can I do to correct this problem?
33.) A: If you are using the DC charger check for an open (blown) fuse. In the other hand, if you are using the AC charger connect a different device that supports this voltage to confirm its functionality.

34.) Q: There is a "?" over the gps icon and I am not allowed to enter a security code. when opening third party software the gps is detected. What can I do to correct this?
34.) A: Disregard the GPS icon question mark and proceed with the pairing process. Worst case, perform a device reset.

35.) Q: What is the device’s passkey?
35.) A: The device’s passkey is “0000”.

36.) Q: Can I alter the GPS datum?
36.) A: Unfortunately, you cannot alter the GPS datum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 20 queries.