USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-standard output of serial data from EM406  (Read 3731 times)

tonybarry

• Regular Members
Non-standard output of serial data from EM406
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:14 pm »

Greetings,

I have bought a batch of sixteen EM-406A for a project.  The first unit tested does not output NMEA at 4800 baud.  It speaks at some other rate and perhaps in SiRF binary.

Is there a way to hardware-reset the device to a known serial state?  The 6-pin connector does not have a reset line but I am wondering if there are links on the board which can be used for the purpose for just one time.

Regards,
Tony Barry

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Non-standard output of serial data from EM406
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »

To revert back the device to NMEA mode, please send this serial command: 0xA0A200188102010100010101050101010001000100010001000112C00167B0B3
In order to reset the unit, send this command: $PSRF101,0,0,0,0,0,0,12,8*1C
To enable the debug messages, please send this: $PSRF105,0*3F

Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

tonybarry

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:42:08 pm »

Thank you TECH for your speedy reply.  Much appreciated.

So this reset string will work regardless of the baud settings of the serial port? 

You see I do not know what speed the port is set at, whether it's seven or eight bits, and whether it's binary or text (NMEA 0183).  And it's not even with me - it's being built by willing workers in another country (in America) and I am fielding the support calls in Australia.  So I can't sit down and just play with the serial port till I get it right by good luck.

OK I think I'll take this on by brute force, and write my routine to just output the reset string one after another at all speeds and port settings till the unit responds with sensible outputs.

Thank you for your reply.  If there are any reset links on the unit it would be good to know where they are, but if they are not available then that's something I don't have to worry about.

Regards,
Tony Barry

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »

The default settings for all our engine boards is 4800,8,n,1 as follows: 4800 Baud, 8 bits, no parity bit, and 1 stop bit.

To be able to check if the device is in SiRF Binary or NMEA, you can utilize a program called SiRFDemo: (http://www.falcom.de/uploads/media/setupSiRFDemo3.87.zip). Extract the file and install the application.
Open up the program, select the com port, and choose the correct baud rate. Go to Action > Open Data Source.
If you see scrolling data in the Error View window, go to Action > Synchronize Protocol & Baud Rate.
If you see scrolling data in the Response View window, it means the device is in SiRF Mode. Go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol. Choose the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.
If you see scrolling data in the Debug View window, the device is in NMEA Mode.
You can also perform a reset with this device. Go to Action > Initialize Data Source. In the Receiver Initialization window, select Factory Reset and click Send.

Unfortunately, there is no reset pin on the engine board. Since the device is not in your possession, you can perform a hardware reset by unplugging the engine board for about 12 hours. When power is removed, the backup capacitor is drained.

Let us know if you have further questions. Thanks.

rohindeep

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »

hey
i'm using EM406 for my engineering project. i connected it to my laptop using a serial-usb converter. The data received in the hyper terminal is not in NMEA format, rather something absurd i guess.... please help me out with this asap.
rohin

PS. how can i attach an image file over here? it would help you to understand better.

rohindeep

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

check out the screenshot...

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:53:58 pm »

Possibly, your device is in Sirf mode. To revert back to NMEA mode, please follow the instructions below:

Download and install this software: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/SiRFDemo387.zip
Run the Sirf Demo software.
Connect your device, choose the correct COM port, and select the 4800 baud rate.
Go to Action > Open Data Source.
Next, go to Action > Switch to SiRF Protocol.
Then, go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol.
In the pop-up window, select the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.
Consequently, your red LED should turn on. Close the Sirf Demo software.
Now, try testing your GPS Receiver with the GPSInfo program to see if the problem persists.

Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:43:31 pm by USG_TECH10 »

rohindeep

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:19 pm »

hey
i followed all your instructions.. but it's same as before. Also i'm getting some errors in SiRf Demo.. check it out.

SiRF Demo:

and i'm getting no response in GPSInfo

I also tried out some other softwares too and i'm getting some errors in them as well

RealTerm:
Check out the status pins in the screenshot and at the bottom it says 'UART receiver framing error'

GPS Utility:
This software is showing an error regarding buffer overflow and baud rate.

One thing more.. What do you mean by "Your Red LED should turn ON"?
It's already ON and blinking when it's connected to my PC..

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:41:26 pm »

For the SiRFDemo program, if you see scrolling data in the Error View window, go to Action > Synchronize Protocol & Baud Rate. Afterwards, you will see scrolling data either in the Response View or the Debug View:
  • If you see scrolling data in the Response View window, it means the device is in SiRF Mode. Go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol. Choose the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.
  • If you see scrolling data in the Debug View window, the device is in NMEA Mode.
Close the SiRFDemo program and open up the GPSInfo. Make sure to select the proper comport and baud rate. Click on the Start GPS button. You should be able to see continuous data passing by.

When in SiRF mode, the red light is steady off for most units of this device. In this case, it's not applicable to your unit.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot use two programs at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:00:12 pm by USG_TECH10 »

federer

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:30:31 am »

For the SiRFDemo program, if you see scrolling data in the Error View window, go to Action > Synchronize Protocol & Baud Rate. Afterwards, you will see scrolling data either in the Response View or the Debug View:
  • If you see scrolling data in the Response View window, it means the device is in SiRF Mode. Go to Action > Switch to NMEA Protocol. Choose the 4800 baud rate under the Baud Rate and click Send.
  • If you see scrolling data in the Debug View window, the device is in NMEA Mode.
Close the SiRFDemo program and open up the GPSInfo. Make sure to select the proper comport and baud rate. Click on the Start GPS button. You should be able to see continuous data passing by.

When in SiRF mode, the red light is steady off for most units of this device. In this case, it's not applicable to your unit.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot use two programs at the same time.

Correct solution you have said rightly admin. He can't apply in case of red light steady off for most units of this device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 19 queries.