USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MR-350 F.A.Q.'s  (Read 1534 times)

emadrid

• Administrator
MR-350 F.A.Q.'s
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

MR350P FAQ

1.) Q: Is this device WAAS enable?
1.) A: Yes…

2.) Q: What datum is used?
2.) A: WGS 84

3.) Q: Is this device waterproof?
3.) A: Yes.

4.) Q: What's the refresh rate?
4.) A: GGA(1sec), GSA(5sec), GSV(5sec), RMC(1sec),VTG(1sec)

5.) Q: How many satellites are needed for 3-D positioning?
5.) A: A minimum of 4 satellites.

6.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver? If so, what program?
6.) A: Yes, SirfDemo programming utility.

7.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver's Baud-Rate? If so, what program?
7.) A: Yes, SirfDemo programming utility.

8.) Q: Can I reconfigure receiver's NMEA data? If so, what program?
8.) A: Yes. SirfDemo programming utility.

9.) Q: What platforms are supported?
9.) A: Windows/ Pocket PC/ Mac OS X/ Linux

10.) Q: Once set. Is SiRF Binary Protocol a permanent configuration?
10.) A: These settings are temporary until the receiver's internal Super-Cap back-up power supply. Then the receiver will revert back to its original default settings.

11.) Q: Does the current USB driver support Mac OS X Tiger?
11.) A: Yes it does…

12.) Q: How does the "20 channel" affect performance? Both: MR350 and BT-338 have "20 channel" in the specs.
12.) A: The sensitivity numbers like the TTFF numbers don't really mean much either as they're hard to tie into real life observations.

13.) Q: How much more is the SiRF Star III power consumption compare to SiRF Star III/LP?
13.) A: About 15% more power hungry than SiRF Star IIe/LP it seems then.

14.) Q: Is SiRF Star III quicker in signal acquisition?
14.) A: Yes, SiRFStarIII can acquire much faster than IIe/XT2 in difficult environments thanks to the added correlating power and that is not reflected in the dB number.

15.) Q: Can I disable the auto-off feature?
15.) A: Unfortunately, it’s a standard programmed feature to conserve battery energy. Therefore, to disable this feature(s) only OEM requests will be taken into consideration.

16.) Q: How much accuracy is comprised without utilizing WAAS?
16.) A: Since Selective Availability (SA) was removed in May 2000, the residual GPS error of approximately 10 meters is mostly due to GPS signal deflection that the SBAS system can only marginally correct (I have never been able to measure any improvement from EGNOS but others have seen 1/2 meters with WAAS). On the other hand SBAS is crucial for critical use such as flying a plane as it allows for near real time GPS signal integrity checking.

17.) Q: What is the biggest benefit of the SiRF Star III chipset?
17.) A: Correlation power, the action of analyzing the signal received from the satellites and making sense out of it to compute a position. Sounds simple enough, but the signals are very weak (sent from 20,000 kms above our heads) and generally very degraded by our immediate environment, so the more correlation power you have the better your chances are of getting a "fix". In addition, TTFF is less dependent on the environment and once you get a lock you rarely lose it, even indoors. With SiRFIII, GPS requires less "work", for instance, you no longer need to choose between waiting 2 minutes when you leave a parking garage in the morning to get a fix or risk driving around for 10 minutes without one, now you'll generally get a fix in 45 seconds in both situations .

18.) Q: Will my receiver support older NMEA standards?
18.) A: Yes, NMEA 2.0 is backwards compatible with older versions of the protocol. NOTE: If your map software (such as Street Atlas 5) requires data
sentence GGA, and your GPS (such as the Magellan 3000) does not
output GGA, then they will NOT work together.

19.) Q: What to look for first to know which SiRF firmware version is oldest/newest?
19.) A: Here's a little insight into SiRF version numbers: 2.3.2-GSW2-2.05.024-C1PROD1.0_6A -- the GSW2 means standard SiRFStar II software, and 2.3.2 is the release version number. The 2.05.024 or similar numbers are internal numbers into the engineering data base. C1 is the build variant, a number that varies with each software type, but can relate to flash builds vs. RAM (debug) builds, builds with or without SBAS support (WAAS), builds with one or two serial port support, NMEA or binary protocol default, etc. Prod means this is a released rather than a beta (test) version. 1.00 means the release is without any post-release bug fixes. If there is a letter or letters after the Prod1.00, like Prod1.02b, this would mean that some specific "patches" have been added to provide interim fixes for known bugs. After that, anything on the line is likely added by the manufacturer for internal version control. A number like 2.4.12.07-XMitac2.0-C1BETA1.1 0000003729 with XMitac2.0 means this is XTrac 2.0 customized by SiRF for Mitac. In general, an X in the number will imply XTrac software, while GSW2 or GSW3 will indicate standard code for SiRFStar II or SiRFStar III, respectively.

20.) Q: Can we upgrade our SiRF firmware? What' s needed for the process?
20.) A: SiRF provides the new versions to our direct customers, but it is up to them to determine if they want to provide an update mechanism to their end-user customers. While the process is relatively simple, unless there is a hardware way to put the receiver into flash upgrade mode (internal boot mode is our term) there is a chance to get things stuck so you have to send it back to the manufacturer or a repair depot to recover. Further, you must be supplied with a flash programming utility to do the job since you cannot access the flash directly -- you have to go through the ARM processor on the SiRF chipset."

21.) Q: What is the meaning of "baud rate"?
21.) A: Baud rate is really the rate of bit transitions on the serial data link. Since each byte of data adds a start and stop bit, it is 10 bits long, and 38400 baud is 3840 bytes per second. Faster bit rates transfer more bytes per second, i.e., greater bandwidth.

23.) Q: What is static navigation?
23.) A: Static navigation when enable, velocities lower than 1.2 m/s for 3 seconds we will freeze the position, and leave them frozen until velocity exceeds 1.4 m/s. Static navigation is a mode designed for motor vehicles, which causes the position to become pinned at one location when velocity is determined to be low enough. This is designed to make navigation systems operate more reasonably when the GPS Selective Availability (SA) signal degradation is turned on.

24.) Q: What is trickle mode?
24. )A: The Trickle mode allows for an increase in battery life by putting the GPS module in sleep mode for very short periods of time, such as 300ms per 1s cycle, which will result in a battery life increase of about 40% according to my testing. It can be useful for certain types of applications but there is a hit on performance as the receiver will have to get "back on its feet" when it wakes up. It is especially problematic in difficult reception conditions. Starting with FW 2.3, SiRF has added the "Adaptive Trickle" mode, which as its name implies will adapt the power savings to the conditions of reception. In optimal conditions, I found that the battery life increase amounts to about 30%.

25.) Q: How can I find whether my device is an X-Trac or STD model?
25.) A: There are several ways to check whether the device is X-Trac or not: 1. Serial number is X....., it's X-Trac 2. The bottom sticker with Red dot, it's X-Trac 3. Use GPSinfo to cold start the device, it shows Xtrac after $Version, it's X-Trac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 18 queries.