USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to VHF Radio GX2100 Standard Horizon  (Read 5793 times)

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Connecting to VHF Radio GX2100 Standard Horizon
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »

The BR-355 requires 5VDC. For pinout diagram, please refer below:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:16:09 pm by USG_TECH10 »

Nicholson58

Re: Connecting to VHF Radio GX2100 Standard Horizon
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:24 am »

I need a bit more help on this please.  For power in you list VIN.  Would that be RED # 2 listed in the chart as VCC?

What did you do for a power supply?  I also have a Matrix Standard Horizon 2100 and the boat has both 24 and 12 VDC. I would prefer to come from the 12 VDC circuit breaker that powers the radio so no additional switch is needed. Low power use is important here.

RX #4 you note for receiving software comands.  There is no PC involved.  Does this mean not needed? If so, then is this a 3-wire connection tothe radio?

Were you able to connect successfully?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:31 pm »

For your first question, the Red wire (Pin#2) is for power. The answer to your question would be Yes.

Regarding your second inquiry, you will possibly need an external 5 volt power supply. Perhaps, a 12V DC to 5V DC converter.

We have not personally tested the BR-355 with the VHF Radio. The pinout diagram that was provided is for reference.

However, we have one customer that was able to make it work with the MR-350 (another Serial GPS Receiver).

Basically, he picked up a PS2 extension cable at a Radio Shack store. Then, he cut it open because he did not want to muck up the the MR-350 cable. He plugged in the unit to the USB port of his computer. The power that goes through the device is coming from the computer as it needs a power source. Afterwards, he connected the MR-350's RX to the Marine Radio VHF Input(+) and Ground to VHF Input(-). Afterwards, it gave him the GPS Position Info to the VHF for the DSC function to work.

As for the VHF NMEA Outputs, these pins can only be used with a compatible chartplotter.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:33:08 pm by USG_TECH10 »

Nicholson58

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:12:11 pm »

Thanks,

I'm still not sure I understand on one point.  In the VHF radio connection there is no PC.  The VHF expects 4800 baud and NMEA-183.  Without a PC will the GPS be at the necessary format or will it be unable to communicate?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

The GPS Receiver should be able to communicate with the VHF Radios since, by default, supports NMEA protocol and set at a Baud Rate of 4800. Perhaps, this customer incorporated his computer as a power source based on his statement.

For more info about the BR-355, please refer here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/57/br355_gps_win.pdf

Let us know if you have any questions.

DavidB

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:49 am »

I have 2 questions.

1. I plan to connect my BR-355 (PS2) to a marine VHF DSC radio.  I have read the relevant posts on here. I am confused by the diagram at the top of this post by USG-TECH10. It is for a MALE PS/2 connector.  My BR-355 has a FEMALE socket.  I intend to plug in a MALE connector on an extension lead and cut off the other end to allow be to wire up to a 5v supply and the NEMEA output to the radio.  Will the connections/wires I need in the cut extension lead be as per the diagram in this post for a MALE connector?

2.  Can I connect my BR-355 to a laptop using a standard USB/PS2 adapter (as used to connect a PS2 key-board or mouse)?  Will I do any damage if I try and the pin connections are not correct?  I will need to use a male/male PS2 cable to make the connection.  (I know there is an optional cable set adapter (BR305-USB2) available from Globalsat.)

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »

Hello DavidB,

Regarding your first question, can you please provide the following:
- A screenshot of the whole unit
- A picture of the female socket

Also, a couple of questions:
What is the serial number of the device? It should be at the back.
Where did you purchase this from?
What is the date of purchase?

As for your second inquiry, please refer to this forum posting for more details: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3506.0

DavidB

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:46:41 am »

I could not find out how to attach a photo.

The S/N  is BRW10554

I bought it on Ebay from someone who said it was "GlobalSat BU-355 SiRFIII GPS Receiver 20CH - Chipset Sirf III" and only 6 months old and unused.

I have a Globalsat BU-353 which I use with Microsoft Autoroute and Seaclear marine charting, and they work very well.  However, I note the packaging on the BU-355 from Ebay is very different to that for my BU-353 (S/N BUG0087708) bought from Expansys, Manchester, UK.  Also the BR-355 was made in Taiwan, whereas the BU-353 was made in China.

Hope this helps. If you give me an email address, or instructions to attach a photo I will send you the photo requested.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »

Thanks for providing that additional info about the device. It seems that you have purchased a customized version of the BR-355 from that seller on eBay. Also, after checking the serial number in our database, I could not find any record of it.

Since this was not directly purchased from us or from one of our authorized resellers, what we can suggest is to return that device to that seller and ask for a proper replacement (with the male connector at the end). Please check with him/her.

To learn more about our warranty policy, especially on how it pertains to sellers of USGlobalSat product on eBay and other unauthorized resellers, please take a look here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-131-terms-conditions.aspx#12

Let me know if you have any questions.

stu

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:44 pm »

I tried to connect the BR-355-S4 to my Standard Horizon GX1500 and am having no luck.  The puck is indicating that it is working, I am getting the blinking red light but the VHF is not recognizing that it is connected at all.  Here is how I have it connected

Red + power 5V
Black - ground
BR-355 White - RX -  Receive - connects to my VHF Gray NMEA output
BR-355 Green - TX - Transmit - connects to my VHF Blue NMEA Input

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:34:09 pm by stu »

stu

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:44:59 pm »

OK, finally got it to work.  Standard Horizon FINALLY gave me the correct info and told me to connect their green wire to ANY 12V ground.  I thought it seemed odd, why would they not have connected this wire inside the unit to a ground but it worked.  I now have GPS info on my VHF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 19 queries.