USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ER411 loose lockok  (Read 1228 times)

Esmat

ER411 loose lockok
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:49:46 pm »

I have an ER411 that I connect to a MCU to get the position coordinates. The ER411 is acting in a way that I don't understand. I connect it to my PC and use the GPSinfo application. After a reasonable warmup time it locks on and starts to broadcast its navigational coodinates. The LED keeps blinking (meaning that it is in lock in) for any amount of time. If I move it to my MCU, the LED (after the warm up time) starts to blink but only for a limited period of time (last time I measured this period it was two and half hours) it stops blinking and remain in this state indifinitly. Turning the power off/on does not help. However if I reconnect it to the PC it locks on and the cycle repeats. what could be the cause for this act? BTW, I measure the voltage on the ground and VDD pins and I find all the measurements within the specs. Thanks.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: ER411 loose lockok
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:25:12 pm »

Basically, where are you testing the module? Inside a building or outside the structure?

How long would it function when it's being tested with the GPSInfo before testing it with the MCU?

Did you notice any strange behavior on the module before the LED stopped working?
After connecting it to the MCU and switching it to PC, would it work for two hours and a half and the LED would stay steady on?

Can you also include the specs of the MCU that you're using the device? Any datasheets and relevant materials would be helpful.

Esmat

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

Thank you Karma for your feedback. Here is my answer to your questions.
Basically, where are you testing the module? Inside a building or outside the structure?The module is tested inside a windowed room with the MCU 3 feet from the window and the PC about 8 feet from the window.

How long would it function when it's being tested with the GPSInfo before testing it with the MCU?A short period (5-10) minutes. By the way connecting the module to the MCU does not imply that it will lockon. sometimes it does but not all the time.

Did you notice any strange behavior on the module before the LED stopped working?Not really.

After connecting it to the MCU and switching it to PC, would it work for two hours and a half and the LED would stay steady on?
When I connect it to the PC, it starts to blink after 40 seconds. I would like to emphasize that the period of "two and half hours" (before it stop blinking) is not consistent; sometimes it is much shorter sometimes it is a day; there is no pattern.

Can you also include the specs of the MCU that you're using the device? Any datasheets and relevant materials would be helpful.
The MCU used is the PIC F4013; its datasheet is given in the following link
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70138G.pdf

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:12 pm »

Just a couple of questions:

Have you ever tried testing the module outside with a clear access to an open sky?

Were you able to get the same results?

What is the status of the LED? Was it blinking?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 18 queries.