USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does the timer restart when gps connects or reconnects with satellites?  (Read 2405 times)

AndersBrontosaurus

Hi.
i normally always wait for the watch to establish contact with the satellites but sometimes i don't and it seems like both 625 and 505 restart the timer when they after a while manage to establish gps-connection.
Why is it like that? I mean, if i press start it's because i want the timer on. If i would like it to start at the same time as the gps is ready, then I would wait to press start until the contact is established. Is it impossible for the gps to start with a timevvalue that is other than 00.00.00?  I suspect that this also happen when the watch lose connection for a while and reconnects. this would maybe also explain my trouble described here. Will try to reproduce this in the forthcoming days and get back to you.

Best regards
Anders

AndersBrontosaurus

Don't know what's going on with my 625 today. Have tried to make it lose contact with satellites for almost an hour. have hid it in bottom drawer in the middle of the house for instance. Still it doesn't go worse than 2dfix and instantaneous gets 3d as soon as i take it out. Good weather today but also a good receiver. :-)

project continues

zingo

• zingo.org

When I tried to make it loose GPS for a test I had to put in in the dishwasher and close the dishwasher door.

AndersBrontosaurus

Aye! That sounds easier. Went outside  to the rootcellar with my watch tonight. Then I can stay inside in the future. But then I don't have any excuses to get the beer that I happen to store down there.  ???

AndersBrontosaurus

So.
I've now been running in and out from my rootcellar with my 625 and 505 (and the beer so maybe i should call it rootbeer cellar...... :-X) and this is what I've found. It might be old news to everybody but I'll post it anyway.

If the 625 or the 505 don't have contact with satellites when you start your time they will restart when they get gpxfix.
If the 625 or the 505 lose contact during the run they will not restart when they get gpxfix.

Personally i think it would be better if the watches never restarted once they're started.
Why restart? Is it because people want the time to start at the same place as the gpx gets fix, to start from 00.00.00? Or is it impossible to get the watch going without restarting when the watch gets gpsfix, to start from 00.03.14 for instance? Or is it a mistake in the programming?
If someone wants the time to start at the same time the gps is fixed and don't want to wait for the fix I think it would be better to either:
- get a question when you press start saying "gps not fixed. Do you want the time to start now or automatically when gps is fixed?" ( or something shorter but described in the manual as above) and then you can choose for youself immediately and start running,
 or, a little simpler,
- the watch gives a clear and loud signal when it gets gpsfix. Then you can choose to start running without fix and when fix comes the watch just goes on, or you start running and wait for the signal. Then you press start.

Best regards
Anders

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:57:50 am by AndersBrontosaurus »

canadien

make sense...

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator

So.
I've now been running in and out from my rootcellar with my 625 and 505 (and the beer so maybe i should call it rootbeer cellar...... :-X) and this is what I've found. It might be old news to everybody but I'll post it anyway.

If the 625 or the 505 don't have contact with satellites when you start your time they will restart when they get gpxfix.
If the 625 or the 505 lose contact during the run they will not restart when they get gpxfix.

Personally i think it would be better if the watches never restarted once they're started.
Why restart? Is it because people want the time to start at the same place as the gpx gets fix, to start from 00.00.00? Or is it impossible to get the watch going without restarting when the watch gets gpsfix, to start from 00.03.14 for instance? Or is it a mistake in the programming?
If someone wants the time to start at the same time the gps is fixed and don't want to wait for the fix I think it would be better to either:
- get a question when you press start saying "gps not fixed. Do you want the time to start now or automatically when gps is fixed?" ( or something shorter but described in the manual as above) and then you can choose for youself immediately and start running,
 or, a little simpler,
- the watch gives a clear and loud signal when it gets gpsfix. Then you can choose to start running without fix and when fix comes the watch just goes on, or you start running and wait for the signal. Then you press start.

Best regards
Anders

Hi Anders,

Thanks for suggestions. It seems valuable and several customers ask this.
The feature which start to record data in time base, no matter GPS fix or no fix, we call it as "Hybrid Recording".
We have implemented the feature into GB-580, maybe Canadian can give us some feedback.
If this is satisfied, we can go the next step. But GH-625 is no memory size, GH-625XT or GH-595 is good candidate. ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

AndersBrontosaurus

Hi Anders,
Thanks for suggestions. It seems valuable and several customers ask this.
The feature which start to record data in time base, no matter GPS fix or no fix, we call it as "Hybrid Recording".
We have implemented the feature into GB-580, maybe Canadian can give us some feedback.
If this is satisfied, we can go the next step. But GH-625 is no memory size, GH-625XT or GH-595 is good candidate. ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Aye!
Good news. :-)

Best regards
Anders

AndersBrontosaurus

bumping.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator

Hello Anders,

Regarding the Hybrid Recording function, gerhard has suggested this feature for the GH-625XT, as you can see here: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4136.msg12901#msg12901). Also, forwarded this to our engineers.

AndersBrontosaurus

Hello Anders,
Regarding the Hybrid Recording function, gerhard has suggested this feature for the GH-625XT, as you can see here: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4136.msg12901#msg12901). Also, forwarded this to our engineers.
Hello tech10!
Thank you for writing.
Yes, seen it and completely agree. (I've considered it being on the wishlist since this thread opened by the way  ;)  )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 20 queries.