USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GH-625XT samples review  (Read 27617 times)

Alain51170

• Regular Members
    • MTB and RAID Nature - France -
Re: GH-625XT samples review
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:15 am »

Hello.. back to you after testing the new SW version (trackback / HR / 2 second recording).
==> As a summary => Great improvement!! See below, the positive and some enhancement to be done : But the watch is better and better..
1/ From last SW version => all 3 changes are nice!
- 2 second recording : This is correct yet (in addition gpx file have now a digit more after comma). For me it is OK : calculation on other soft appli is correct. But I have a wish, i would like to have a smart recording (each important points only, into  curve.. several points, but only a few when going straight away. Anyway today is acceptable
- HR : I have no more issue.. HR curve is ok with no spike!.
- Trackback => Huge improvement. I have tested on several tracks.. result is correct.. not perfect but now really usable!!!.. I have planed to test on a longer track next week.
in addition, as the calculation speed is quicker the display refresh is now quick enough (on GH625M, the issue was 2/3 second blank waiting refresh, now it is correct).
Also, i like the way the track to follow is displayed (large). The current track is normal, so we can easily distinguish the track to follow from the current track. GREAT!
So, the smart trackback is not perfect (not all the track displayed), but now,i can use.. I wish anyway, to have a reel full trackback in the future.. :-)

2/ I have some bugs, that require a fix..
- File transfert to the watch. It was impossible to transfert a track (GPX) to the watch.  (GS-Sport Training Gym Pro 1.62) I have tried on several computers and several OS (Windows XP & Vista). No way : error unexpected application error occur, Restart again!
I have found a tip, save as kml first, then tranfert to the watch. So, it looks like some format cleanup is missing. Please fing attache an exemple of GPX file  http://alain.picquot.free.fr/Image%20parcours%20reguliers/060129.gpx with this pb. (Open this file into  the Gym Pro, then try to transfert => error)..
- GS-Sport Training Gym Pro 1.62 : issue on map .. With no track display, no issues, as soon as a track and mouse on the map, i get an error.. On some PC it is working, but i got a same issue on some others (Windows XP or Vista)
 (script error line116 / Cat 1 / Automation / code 0  in  gMapfile.html)
- Cumulate altitude... too low! Following the today trip 460m into Training Gym Pro .. but should be 628 meters (from another application -CartoExplorer using altitude map (I have made a long and manual check 628 meter is the correct value.. See the today trip here http://raidnature3.blog4ever.com/blog/lire-article-308098-3192801-vtt_07_11_11_op_cm_ap__32_5km_12km_h_628m_.html
3/ Improvement parking lot
- Larger fonts on screen
- Full trackback
- Smart recording

.. Alain..

gerhard

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »

There are improvements. The value is great, $160. There are some things that should be improved though....

The only big problem is the distance calculation, that still is over 1% to what I expect. (Some more details directly to Geoffrey.) I am sure this will be improved. The GPS positioning compared to my other (competitor) device is better in at least 2/3 of the situations I have looked at, but total distance is closer to the expected in the other device still.
I also would prefer smart recording, but setting recording to every 3sec is slightly better. I get post-processed (like SportTracks) distances better, also good for marketing: 100h recording. Smart recording would increase even more.

For HR, I have not seen spikes late in the activities yet, but I have not done a Max test since updating, so I cannot tell yet. (There are spikes at the start, but that is similar with other monitors. Bad contact?)

I have the same problem as Alain w Training Gym. Very seldom work. Then I do not plan to use GYM, but it is what may users see first.
For cumulative ascent/descent, the summaries are what I expect: These values need to be filtered due to elevation accuracy, even if SW normally trusts elevation too much.

Wishlist (primarily from previous post):
The display should be used better (less grayscale, larger font). It is hard to see.
Different screen rendering, increasing font.
Easier access detail GPS info screen
GPS accuracy fields
HR current lap
Pace last kilometer (as present in some beta SW for the 625M).
If light has been activated, it should be used at notifications (until turned off)
Bike mode: Some settings for pace/speed fields and data recording should be different run/bike. Also, I would prefer to turn the screen when biking so the antenna face up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:38:09 pm by gerhard »

snow_freak

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:55 am »

- Cumulate altitude... too low! Following the today trip 460m into Training Gym Pro .. but should be 628 meters (from another application -CartoExplorer using altitude map (I have made a long and manual check 628 meter is the correct value.. See the today trip here

Hello,
same experience here. Maybe its only adjusting filter parameters.

Other things which should be improved:
- GPS position where track is saved is recorded as last position, even if record was stopped at an other position.
- show Lap screen longer
- beeper should be louder
- improve german translation, some expressions are missleading

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2011, 07:28:23 am »

Hello!
Excuse me for the late review. I've been busy doing this. We've worked far out on the countryside and have used the watch but due to not having access to computers out there I have not been able to write. I have not yet read others reviews to try to make it as unbiased as possible. There might be a lot of repeating what others have already said. Sorry about that.

Package:[/u] Package looks ok. Wish you'd used the orange part mith a mappattern. Think it looks nice. In the 615 an adapter that made it possible to charge from the cigarettelighter was included. I liked that but it's not important. The battery is big and strong now plus that it's slightly better for the environment with one thing less. I do however think that a papermanual should be enclosed even if it takes up space, costs to produce and is not environmentally friendly. I don't like having to start up the computer and insert a cd just to check something before I go out running.

Look and feel:
Big display as I like it. Good that the quadview is implemented. This watch is easier to overview then 615/625 and 505 but could still have bigger figures actually. The 625 use bigger figures. I guess it's the borders on top and button that makes you want to shrink the figures in order to make it look better but I think the display could be used better.  Backgroundlight is also very nice.
The buttons feels fine. Tried them with my gloves on and it seems like they will work through the skiingseason. (may we get lot of snow.  :-)  )
The watch is very big and looks clumsy. I don't have a problem with this, it fits good on the arm and I rather have a big watch with a big display than a smaller watch with a smaller display but others first reactions have been ”Have you bought a wristweight? Oh my god, it's a watch. Shall I help you to carry it?”

Navigation in watch: Quite intuitive if you're used to globalsat but not too smooth. Would appreciate borders with names (link)
Navigation in watch: the navigation is quite easy since I'm used to the system from 615. It's not supersmooth and I would still ask for headlines on all pages like here, also remember Zingo had an interesting idea that I can't find right now but in all, navigation works fine. I wonder if the exercisepages ”custom 1-4” could be made possible to rename? Also, now when we have the local time in the border below, could page with local time be removed from between custom page 4 and 1? Or could local time be set as one of the parameters you choose? In that case those who like it could choose to put that in one of the custompages? Still not a very big thing, it's much more easy to navigate now when the pages have name #1 to#4 but it wouldmake it a little smoother.
Shortcuts. The only one I found is ”getting into normal watch” mode. Are there any other?

GPS:
625xt coldstarts about as fast as the 615. Often faster and sometimes a little slower. Wonder why. Could it be the antenna on the 615 that makes the magic? Both of them are muuuch faster than 505 which is horrendously slow. Have run coopertest with both watches and the XT showed the distance correct down to the meter. So as long as the track is round and flat everything works perfect. :-) On trails I don't see any special  patterns of distance. Sometimes the 625xt gives a longer distance than the 615 but just as often, shorter.  Here is also 2 snaps from my coopertest showing the different accuracy of the watches.

Running/exercising: Watch is easy to start running with as soon as you know what all buttons do. Have just started with the intervals. They work but I wish I could set them from the computer and that all parameters (time/pace/distance...could have zones to set just like heartrate does instead of just thresholds.
I do not like that just like 505 there is a delay on a second or more when pressing lapbutton until lapsound comes. I also think the watch could sound a little louder.

Heartratemonitor: Fits comfortably enough but it seems like it's jumpy. Had the same problem with my 615 this summer. Have not looked to much into it but it seems like it's showing to high bpm when I'm running and when I stop to measure, it drops to the the right bpm...will look deeper into this.

Manual: Have some errors that could be corrected.
- It constantly shows green backlight while it's white? Is it to difficult to visualize white backlight on paper?
- Page 12 theres a 505 instead of a 625xt.
- Change mutisport to multisport on several places.
- Page 18: Pacer – evaluated time should say evaluated distance, right?
- Page 28: The trainer is really difficult to understand. Not sure if there is wrong text on the wrong places. Seems like terminology is wrong too. Like it should say ”pace” instead of ”time” etc...and what do yo mean here: The distance for 10 km and time for 45 minutes which means the virtual trainer will finish 3km within 15minutes to compete with you.
- Manual doesn't explain how to come back from TOD.

Conclusions, questions and suggestions:
Hybridrecordings as discussed here I have not found. Where is it? As default the watch resets itself when gps is fixed if you start running before fix.

The only shortcut i found was to ”go into normal watch” mode. Are there or will there be others? On the forum there's been a discussion about switching gps on/off for instance but still being able to operate the watch. I had hoped for that to be included.

Please improve interval training. I would also be nice if presets could be uploaded/downloaded/shared among users

Is there a chance that you  could get more profiles than one in the watch? I can see myself using different setttings for intervaltraining than normal running...and then one profile for my wife.

...off course I also have to beg for a single frontbutton again...

Finally, I don't know what ”XT” stands for. I assume it's ”extended” or something like that and that is just what this watch is. An upgraded 615/625 with a bigger memory, better gpschip and quadview. It's a nice watch that could and probably will be even better as firmware develops.. Hopefully the price is competetive with older watches like forerunner 305 (because I guess that's the segment where this watch is aiming).

Anders
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:19:29 pm by AndersBrontosaurus »

canadien

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »

Richard, Jean-Yves, any feedback about your watch so far?   :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:20:07 am by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:29 am »

Hi Anders,

Welcome to join Globalsat testing family! :D Your valuable comments will drive us progress to make our products perfect.
Herewith is my comment regarding your suggestions:

GPS:
625xt coldstarts about as fast as the 615. Often faster and sometimes a little slower. Wonder why. Could it be the antenna on the 615 that makes the magic? Both of them are muuuch faster than 505 which is horrendously slow. Have run coopertest with both watches and the XT showed the distance correct down to the meter. So as long as the track is round and flat everything works perfect. :-) On trails I don't see any special  patterns of distance. Sometimes the 625xt gives a longer distance than the 615 but just as often, shorter.  Here is also 2 snaps from my coopertest showing the different accuracy of the watches.

Actually, for Cold Start, GH-625 and 625XT are similar, but GH-625XT has superior receiving performance under bad environment.
So you won't worry if you running among buildings.

Running/exercising: Watch is easy to start running with as soon as you know what all buttons do. Have just started with the intervals. They work but I wish I could set them from the computer and that all parameters (time/pace/distance...could have zones to set just like heartrate does instead of just thresholds.
I do not like that just like 505 there is a delay on a second or more when pressing lapbutton until lapsound comes. I also think the watch could sound a little louder.

You may use Training Gym Pro V1.6.2, whic is able to set the whole parameters from PC.

Heartratemonitor: Fits comfortably enough but it seems like it's jumpy. Had the same problem with my 615 this summer. Have not looked to much into it but it seems like it's showing to high bpm when I'm running and when I stop to measure, it drops to the the right bpm...will look deeper into this.

We have improved this, and please update from our website to check again.

Manual: Have some errors that could be corrected.
- It constantly shows green backlight while it's white? Is it to difficult to visualize white backlight on paper?
- Page 12 theres a 505 instead of a 625xt.
- Change mutisport to multisport on several places.
- Page 18: Pacer – evaluated time should say evaluated distance, right?
- Page 28: The trainer is really difficult to understand. Not sure if there is wrong text on the wrong places. Seems like terminology is wrong too. Like it should say ”pace” instead of ”time” etc...and what do yo mean here: The distance for 10 km and time for 45 minutes which means the virtual trainer will finish 3km within 15minutes to compete with you.
- Manual doesn't explain how to come back from TOD.

Thanks, we will go through this and correct.

Conclusions, questions and suggestions:
Hybridrecordings as discussed here I have not found. Where is it? As default the watch resets itself when gps is fixed if you start running before fix.

The only shortcut i found was to ”go into normal watch” mode. Are there or will there be others? On the forum there's been a discussion about switching gps on/off for instance but still being able to operate the watch. I had hoped for that to be included.

Please improve interval training. I would also be nice if presets could be uploaded/downloaded/shared among users

Is there a chance that you  could get more profiles than one in the watch? I can see myself using different setttings for intervaltraining than normal running...and then one profile for my wife.

...off course I also have to beg for a single frontbutton again...

Currently, GH-625XT doesn't support hybrid recording, but GB-580 is.
If you want to enter WATCH MODE, now you only have to wait the 5-10 min and then system will go to WATCH MODE if enable.
For profile setting, now you can save several files into your PC, and then update before get training.
About front buttons, we will study this for next generation.
We names it "XT" since we want this as "extremely". ;) And provide customers amazing every time and longer time.  ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Dardard

• Regular Members
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 08:40:50 am »

Many of you give your feelings on the watch capabilities (distance cumulating and hrm reliability for the most). So I will speak about some other aspects, maybe in a bit more cosmetic way.
But such points must also be taken into account before putting a product on the market.
And also I did not run to much as I am recovering from a knee sprain.

Boxing = very nice. I really like the way the watch is set in a little stand. Just open the top box and let it show on the shelters, good idea.

Quick start guide = you should reduce the size of the paper in order not to curve it in the boxing. It will look classier if all documents could fit within the size of the box.

GPS = great improvement.
Fix is very quick and tracking is very tolerant (Sometimes I keep the gps tracking with up to 7sats inside my house at 4 meters from the window).
I need to do some more testing in order to see the distance calculation accuracy and see if the tracking is as good as expected (I need more rain and fog inside the woods).

Altitude cumulating :
I see less fantasy than with the GH505. Last time a run across a lake, maybe 30/40m d+ and the watch showed 0m, GH505 showed almost 200m.
For me it's OK, as we can not hope the GPS to provide precise height calculation even with Sirf IV.
Maybe the filtering could be adjusted by user if someone prefers to fine tune his altitude cumulating.

Buttons = good feeling and always responding

Display = great field of view
   contrast could be optimized.
   Backlight is OK

points to fix :
maybe the dots are more rectangular than with the GH505 display or there is a little space between them, so it give the impression that the graphics are compressed by the height.
For example, when you look at the compass in the map mode, the round of the compass look a bit oval.
      Maybe a graphical optimization as to be done on that way.
      I did not see such thing on the map screen.
   whish list :
As the display can handle greyscale, it could be fun to add this feature for instance in the menu navigation (selected or highlighted item in black, the rest in grey).
For the sports windows, everything should stay in black/white because it is better for reading informations needed (except for the trackback).

Track back :
   Great improvement, with larger track to follow in grey.
   I will give more impression on it later

Menu translation :
Geoffrey, is it possible to add full French translation for the watch? Actually only the first levels of the menus are translated. I think it would be a real improvement if you can use the watch with everything in your native language (as here not everybody understands English).
Can you send a summary of all the texts of the watch?

Regards

Jean-Yves

canadien

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

Menu translation :
Geoffrey, is it possible to add full French translation for the watch? Actually only the first levels of the menus are translated. I think it would be a real improvement if you can use the watch with everything in your native language (as here not everybody understands English).
Can you send a summary of all the texts of the watch?
Yes we did changed some words from the original french translation in our text. It really is for the better. Our new translation is 1) in the menu board in the text and also 2) between hooks.

Richard

• Regular Members
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:30 am »

Hi canadien,
I’m very busy since i received my sample :( , but i took time to test it  :).

Thank  for the very good job of the testers and the quickly improvement by GS  :D.

I used keymaze 700 (GH-615) since almost 3 years, and after one month and more than 110 km running with GH-625xt to my left wrist and the Keymaze 700  to my right wrist, i give you my feeling:

I like this watch  :D :D, there are a lot of improvement  :) :).
i prefer the gray screen  but most of the time, i was under wood or with the backlight.
the shape is more comfortable on the wrist  and the buttons feel better than the Keymaze.
Like Alain, It was impossible to transfert a track to the watch  ???, so i took my bike for record it  ;), after I tried smart track back, very good job, it's very easy to follow the track. 
more comment to follow 

Regards

Richard
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:49:34 am by Richard »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:31 am »

Hi canadien,
I’m very busy since i received my sample :( , but i took time to test it  :).

Thank  for the very good job of the testers and the quickly improvement by GS  :D.

I used keymaze 700 (GH-615) since almost 3 years, and after one month and more than 110 km running with GH-625xt to my left wrist and the Keymaze 700  to my right wrist, i give you my feeling:

I like this watch  :D :D, there are a lot of improvement  :) :).
i prefer the gray screen  but most of the time, i was under wood or with the backlight.
the shape is more comfortable on the wrist  and the buttons feel better than the Keymaze.
Like Alain, It was impossible to transfert a track to the watch  ???, so i took my bike for record it  ;), after I tried smart track back, very good job, it's very easy to follow the track. 
more comment to follow 

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for postive feedback. We will do our best to serve customers.
For Track uploading, you can use DATA TRANSMISSION> UPLOAD TO DEVICE to transfer trace to device to performance SMART TRACK BACK.

Look forward to seeing your more comments.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 04:59:48 am »

Hi Anders,

Welcome to join Globalsat testing family! :D Your valuable comments will drive us progress to make our products perfect.
Thank you!

For profile setting, now you can save several files into your PC, and then update before get training.
Sincerely,
Geoffrey
For profiles I was thinking about having the profiles in the watch since different people have different heartratezones, weight-calories etc.

Seems like I have to upgrade STG and firmware. Then I'll be back.
:-)

Anders

edit: I would also like to repeat the old request about interval: To be able to see time, distance,pulse,pace during intense "last lap" while slowjogging before next interval. :-)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:05:03 am by AndersBrontosaurus »

gerhard

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 06:14:41 pm »

For Track uploading, you can use DATA TRANSMISSION> UPLOAD TO DEVICE to transfer trace to device to performance SMART TRACK BACK.

That has never worked for me. GYM 1.6.2 almost always give an exception when selecting an activity. The few times there is not giving an exception, the upload hangs after a few seconds.

Uploading is not in the COM spec, I have used Phil's code as an example, trying to implement it myself. Then the device hangs instead.
I still hope to get an answer if the feature is supported or not, this a blocker for an official release of the Globalsat plugins.

The device is not officially released yet, there will be updates...

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2011, 09:13:02 am »

Hi all,

sorry for being rather quiet during the last days and for not posting any new test results.
Reasons are: 1. Too much activitiy in my job, which keeps me almost busy all the time.
2. I like my new watch, and I cannot find much to discuss about. Almost everything is
working as expected (or even better) and there are only a few items, which could be
optimized, like total distance calculation (which seems to be too long), like HRM (which
seems to create some peeks) and like display contrast (which is too gray in gray).

Maybe some of this has already been solved in latest firmware, which I didn't install
up to now. Hope to be able to do this this weekend.

Additional to my last posting:
   I didn't test Smart Track Back up to now, because I exptect it to be like in GH-505.
   For me it was okay in GH-505 (not perfect - but okay) and it was much better as in
   GH-625. For further testing I will wait for the new firmware version.

In the meantime I tested the new Smart Track back several times. And of course
it is uncomparable better than it was in GH-625. And it is also better than it was
in GH-505. I had some doubts, when I first heard about the wider track lines.
But I have to admit: They are much better than before !

What I cannot tell up to now, is whether the compression of track points is better
than before, because I tested the track back on a well known route and of course
I couldn't got lost. However - I remember one situation, which confused me totally.
I will try to analyse this more deeply and if successful I will post this in the smart
track back thread.

Btw.: All the functions needed for STB worked fine. Like loading the track into the
watch, starting and stopping automatically. No problems.

Just in this moment I remember one or two more items about STB. I will post it
over there.

Have a good time. Regards,

Hubert
GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326

Alain51170

• Regular Members
    • MTB and RAID Nature - France -
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2011, 10:34:36 am »

Hello.. Some more feedbacks..
1/ I would like to re-inforce the need to fix the PC connection here : Transfert GPX to the watch is not working !
File transfert to the watch. It was impossible to transfert a track (GPX) to the watch.  (GS-Sport Training Gym Pro 1.62) I have tried on several computers and several OS (Windows XP & Vista). No way : error unexpected application error occur, Restart again!
I have found a tip, save as kml first, then tranfert to the watch. So, it looks like some format cleanup is missing. Please fing attache an exemple of GPX file  http://alain.picquot.free.fr/Image%20parcours%20reguliers/060129.gpx with this pb. (Open this file into  the Gym Pro, then try to transfert => error)..
==> As explained previously, this is not a com setting issue because the transfer is working with "kml" file .. => Please try with the 060129.gpx file. As GPX file, upload is not working. But if you save this track as a kml file, then you reload into Gym Pro, the transfer to the watch will work ==> The problem looks like a GPX file management  issue..

2/ Bug on MAP.. Any fix?..
GS-Sport Training Gym Pro 1.62 : issue on map .. With no track display, no issues, as soon as a track and mouse on the map, i get an error.. On some PC it is working, but i got a same issue on some others (Windows XP or Vista)
 (script error line116 / Cat 1 / Automation / code 0  in  gMapfile.html)

3/ Issue on Cumulative +
I thing that the fix could be easy => add some filtering on altitude (average on 5 points for instance).. This will smooth the variation due to GPS non accuracy.
See below, the measured altitude is noisy.. and the ramp (should be in red) is not seen as a linear ramp (trust me, it was in real :-) ) .. using a corrected track, the ramp is well defined..

4/ New Trackback function : I have tried a 2.5 hours record.. / 40km..
   From my first review, with simple track, the trackback function is really improved.. but during my last test, with the complex track, i got lost ..  the points was separated by 100 meters, even when several curves.. So, i went to a wrong path on several times.. :-( ..  Really, i would like to get a better conversion (point of interest only - 2 points on a straight way (even 1 km) .. and 4/5 points into a curve).. I don't know is this is the algorithm used, but the trackback should display almost everything.. It looks like we are limited in number of points..?.. Could i have deep explanation about trackback functions and the limitations.

5/ Regarding display of a track when starting trackback : the conversion of a long track (10000 points) take about 15mn.. This is long, but as to be added to the documentation.. (If no way to enhance)..

Thanks again for all improvement already done. Alain.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:44:32 pm by Alain51170 »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 12:48:53 am »

Hi Anders,

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Geoffrey
For profiles I was thinking about having the profiles in the watch since different people have different heartratezones, weight-calories etc.

Seems like I have to upgrade STG and firmware. Then I'll be back.
:-)

Anders

edit: I would also like to repeat the old request about interval: To be able to see time, distance,pulse,pace during intense "last lap" while slowjogging before next interval. :-)

Hi Anders,

To have multiple profiles is doable. It needs to modify firmware and software.
Sorry the story is so long, can you explain more detail?
We can keep "INTERVAL TRAINING" improvement as next step. ;) Maybe we can call it "Smart Interval Training".  ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 19 queries.