USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 24129 times)

albert

• I believe in this product
Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:50 pm »

Hello all,

What I miss in the GB580 is the totals like total ALT+ over all the trainings and the total Km. This can also be done in the TG. But I like to see the totals.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 1.03 F-GGB-2O-1204131.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.6.8 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.4415
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

albert

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:58 am »

Hello Canadian,

I really like you video, nice to understand for all. Nice made as well, GS could employ you to do the commercial ;).

GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 1.03 F-GGB-2O-1204131.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.6.8 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.4415

canadien

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »

Thanks Albert. That was explanation test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzDi6rvRNc) but for commercial I should do it better  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:19:15 pm by canadien »

jervanheg

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2011, 04:53:19 am »

With the release of edge200, competition heated up even more... What is the timeline to bring GB-580 to market?

albert

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2011, 07:27:45 am »

Hello Geoffrey,

The new holder is perfect, it is solid and it is not possible to pull it off by hand accidentally.
Good work. I hope the update FW thus not take too long?

Regards,

albert

albert

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

Hello Geoffrey,

I have a problem with the rubber cap over the USB it starts to break where it has to bend. This is because of the bit that go's in to the USB is pushed a side. So the USB will fit and the force on the articulation, I am always careful but after more than 40 uses it starts to break, never hat this with the GH625.

Regards,

Albert

jervanheg

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »

It seems Geoffrey is still enjoying his business trip? Or has he vanished?

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02:14 am »

Finally I have had littlle bit time to test my GB-580P. Sorry about this delay but I was totally occupied with LDEC Triathlon organizing tasks and no change to do any training in last 6 week. But now I can see light at the end of tunnel and focus my own training and testing again.

After my first test ride here is few points what is on my mind.

At first. GB-580P looks and feel like very high quality device. Display is very good, buttons are good, design and color is perfect and at overall it doesn't give me any feeling that it is a toy.

Here is some points I like to share and hope some improvement.

Slope shows me 0% all the time. I'm not sure if this is feature because calculation is maybe done after long climbing. If this is reason, I propose to make calculation time based ( for example after climbed 10s, it calculate slope) and also user adjustable time value.

Track back feature is bit weard. Arrow which pointing direction was in worst case pointing 45 degrees to wrong direction. This happen when I made loop where I past my route about 500m away from later position (I still was on track at this moment). I think arrow pointing to track point which was located too far from current point.

Also Track back function would be much better if on map could be pointer to show your current location and direction where you are going at the moment. Pointer could be triangle shape.

Bike mount.
What you think if there wouldn't be any separate bike mount? Could it be managed by diffrent bottom (arched shape) and with O-rings (rubber band) to attach device to stem or bar?
That would allow easy attchment it quicly many bikes without removing holder from bike to another every time when use diffrent bike (road, mtb or cyclocross for example)

I was chating with few triathletes about product and all of them asked wrist band option. I hope this could be available also in package later.

Rookie
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:09:42 am by Rookie »

albert

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

Hello Rookie,

This is what I already sugested
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3795.msg10487#msg10487
And Yes, with O-rings (rubber band) to attach device to stem or bar is also what I did mail to Geoffrey. Like Sigma bicycle Computers do.
Track back function is working fine with me, but I never tried on a short rounding course. I know that there is a discussion about it on this thread
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3864.msg10535#msg10535
Hopefully GS will try to correct this, like suggested on that thread.

Regards,

Albert
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:36:51 pm by albert »

Roger C

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:57 am »

It seems Geoffrey is still enjoying his business trip? Or has he vanished?

canadien

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2011, 04:22:17 pm »

Old Geoffrey message:
I plan to USA in Aug/1 to Aug/14 and Germany in Aug/31 to Sep/13

I think he is heading to a bike trade show in Germany right now..

wallace

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 03:35:27 am »

Hi there, I have had a look through this forum and to put my input re the GB-580P. I received a sample from GlobalSat about a week ago as we are interested in selling this in our market. I have been using Garmin Edge 305/705/500 and lately 800 so know what this product is up against. There are a lot of good ideas but in terms of getting product to market, best option is to focus on important software changes as hardware will take longer. Here are my comments re this product and suggestions to software.

- Hardware is good. In fact uses same wireless structure as Garmin. You can pair Garmin accessories to this unit and vice versa. Only requirement now is a combined Speed/Cadence unit (Garmin GSC10 works nicely on this unit) as separate sensors are messy
- Unit needs an auto calibration for wheel size. If this option is added, unit will calibrate wheel after few minutes based on GPS distance
- Pages display. Two changes needed here. Firstly, an option to set number of data fields to zero and this will disable the page. Most users will only need perhaps two pages and having to scroll through unwanted pages during a ride is inconvenient and dangerous. Other change is an Auto Scroll option with 3 speeds so that the unit scrolls the pages itself without key presses.
- Slope. Lots of comments re slope. Agree does not work correctly. This needs a smaller average window. Garmin seems to operate on about 3 sec frame. Instantaneous slope is imperative.
- Total ascent/descent. Seems to have a similar averaging problem to slope. Data I have collected using Edge 800 on same ride seems to show GB-580P totals are a lot less than Garmin.
- Trainer. The option to train against Yourself is something I use a lot on Garmin. Software needs change to allow an actiivty to be renamed and flagged/stored separately as a course to train against. Trying to find a previous course to train against from activity list is very difficult using date/time labels. Trainer needs to also link into map page as a visual target is great for keeping ahead. Map needs cycle icon replaced by a solid circle or arrow head for actual position and grey icon for virtual rider.
- Elevation page. This would be a great addition to show record of elevation profile during ride. It could also include virtual and live icons during Trainer above.

As far as I can see, if these are implemented now, product can go to market and the remaining changes can follow.

Cheers,

albert

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 11:16:37 am »

Hello Wallace,

I agree with most of your comments, but track back needs also to be OK.
Where I disagree is
Total ascent/descent. Seems to have a similar averaging problem to slope. Data I have collected using Edge 800 on same ride seems to show GB-580P totals are a lot less than Garmin.
I did a part of the 100 cols tour in France and the total is more ore less right. The paper route description did say, within a few meters, the correct total.
After this you can load it in sporttracks and with the correction plugin for altitude correction (works through Google Earth) you will find the answer that the GB580P gives the right value. Even a Garmin user in our group had to admit it.

Cheers,

Albert 

wallace

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 06:58:22 pm »

Hi Albert

I haven't tried the track back yet as haven't tested unit on a mountain bike which is where this feature would be more important. I spent some time analysing ascent/descent data. From what I can see, data I get on GB-580 is not as accurate. I gather that CUMMULATE+ and CUMMULATE- refer to total ascent and total descent. I have noticed while riding that even though the altitude is increasing, sometimes CUMMULATE+ doesn't change. I checked the elevation data on ridewithgps.com and that gave exactly same results to Edge 800. Using SportTrack, there were discrepancies depending on whether the elevation plugin was active and elevation smoothing settings but still could not get a result I though was correct - certainly data in the GB-580 for CUMMULATE+ differed from Edge 800 and ridewithgps.com. I will do more testing but I still think there is an averaging issue in the unit. I am currently running latest firmware from GlobalSat site (Firmware -F-GGB-2O-1107122) and latest 1.6.1 Training Gym Pro. I gather from comments on forum that GlobalSat have or are implementing some of the requests others have made. Is there any beta software we can try and if so where do we get it? Happy to be a tester to improve this product!

I see others have made comments re mounts and display. The mount is similar to Garmin Edge 305/705 which was a weakness. These mounts broke regularly and we sold quite a few. From my tests on the unit I've just received, mount seems OK mainly I think because of smaller weight and size reduces loading on mount. Garmin solution with O-Rings is deceptively simple and effective but even on an Edge 800 and the bands tight, the unit vibrates more than the GB-580 so display is not as clear. As far as discussion on touch screen, I don't think this is important on this unit. As long as page control and auto scroll come, then need to press buttons is reduced. I have been using current Edge 800 for nearly a year so don't mind the controls on GB-580.

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:00 am »

Without the barometer function it almost impossible to make the calculation time shorter, than the slope would give not stable values.

Hi Albert,

Thats my point. I think that if slope calculations can't be better in the GB580B (without barometer), Globalsat should remove this feature in this model. If not - I think they will experience a lot of dissatisfied customers, which would be a shame.

Regards

TT

Hi TT, Albert,

Due to GB-580B is without barometer so that it has certain inaccuracy of slope calculation. So the slope is for biker reference, I am not sure is it needed to take of or keep staying?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 19 queries.