USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 26684 times)

TurboTorben

Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 04:17:33 am »

IMHO I think accessing main menu while keeping the button pressed during 2 sec. is very fluid and does work fine!

But starting activity, stopping it and resetting it should be done, like all gs watches, with OK button (start stop activity) and esc button (reset activity). The arrow buttons "<-, ->" should only be use IMHO to navigate in the watch. And, of course, the right arrow buttons "->/LAP" to trigger lap.

I tink the more we concentrate functions on ESC and OK, the more the device become intuitive. Arrows buttons are just there to complement -no signifiant functions other then navigate (in the main menu and in the activity pages) and triggering lap". 

But I still think it's a firmware error that make stop and start buttons inverted!

Agree on this. The main functions should be on only 2 buttons, and the arrow keys should be used to go up down in menus and pages.

GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:35 am »

...It's arrived! I received my GB-580B Sample today. Here are my first impression. Good looking product! Like the high resolution display! Unboxing the device - revealed a surprise to me (maybe I just haven't been reading this forum thorough enough). The entry model (GB-580B) does not come with a heart rate monitor. I think many bike-riders will miss this feature. If you - as a cyclist should choose between the GB-580B and e.g. the GH625M (or maybe Garmin 305), they will get HRM with the GPS watches. Its hard for me to see which arguments should sell the GB580 in comparison to these.

Well, I'll take it for a ride tomorrow - It will be interesting to compare it to my GH625. I'll let you know how I did.

TT

Hi TT,

Nice to hear your baby arrived. :D
I am wondering which is the first tear for cyclist, cadence/ speed or HRM?
It would be good information for our next market planning.
GB-580B is with full training functions with GPS and GB-580P is not only GPS but also build in cadence/speed, HRM and electronics compass.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TurboTorben

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:29:08 am »

Suggestion: Rotate buttons. What do you think of this: As you can rotate the screen orientation, how about rotating the buttons with it, so that the upper left button always have the same funtionality - regardsless of the orientation of device - and likewise with the other buttons. This means that the names of the buttons printed on the casing should be more neutral than now for instanse (A, B, C, D).

The buttons function could be shown in the display (like in cell phones). I know this will take up some display space - but maybe - if this idea can't be used for the GB580, maybe it can for the GB590  ;D

/TT

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

Suggestion: Rotate buttons. What do you think of this: As you can rotate the screen orientation, how about rotating the buttons with it, so that the upper left button always have the same funtionality - regardsless of the orientation of device - and likewise with the other buttons. This means that the names of the buttons printed on the casing should be more neutral than now for instanse (A, B, C, D).

The buttons function could be shown in the display (like in cell phones). I know this will take up some display space - but maybe - if this idea can't be used for the GB580, maybe it can for the GB590  ;D

/TT

Do you mean print on plastic cover or lens about orientation key? Or always shown on display?
Sure, GB-590 is good name for next generation. ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TurboTorben

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:32 am »

...It's arrived! I received my GB-580B Sample today. Here are my first impression. Good looking product! Like the high resolution display! Unboxing the device - revealed a surprise to me (maybe I just haven't been reading this forum thorough enough). The entry model (GB-580B) does not come with a heart rate monitor. I think many bike-riders will miss this feature. If you - as a cyclist should choose between the GB-580B and e.g. the GH625M (or maybe Garmin 305), they will get HRM with the GPS watches. Its hard for me to see which arguments should sell the GB580 in comparison to these.

Well, I'll take it for a ride tomorrow - It will be interesting to compare it to my GH625. I'll let you know how I did.

TT

Hi TT,

Nice to hear your baby arrived. :D
I am wondering which is the first tear for cyclist, cadence/ speed or HRM?
It would be good information for our next market planning.
GB-580B is with full training functions with GPS and GB-580P is not only GPS but also build in cadence/speed, HRM and electronics compass.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

Can't speak for the other guys, but for me - as a mountainbiker - the HR is certainly very interesting - in opposition to the cadence - which is often fairly low - due to the climbs. Also the speed sensor seems to me to be unneccesary, since you can have the speed from the GPS.

Well, - my argument was mostly - that when this device should compete with the 2 watches (and others), which can be bike mounted - it can be hard -without the HRM belt.

I would have preferred that you have made just one model, that could be sold in a basic and pro version. The basic should hold the device and HRM-belt, and the pro should hold all the sensors. In this way you could upgrade your basic model to a pro - when you got the need. Well - maybe in next version.

Regards TT

TurboTorben

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 04:43:43 am »

/TT

Do you mean print on plastic cover or lens about orientation key? Or always shown on display?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

I guess on display - would give the most flexibility to your programmers.

/TT

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 05:03:29 am »

/TT

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

/TT

But it should be reserved more space. :-\

TurboTorben

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 07:40:20 am »

First ride impressions. Today I took the device out for a short ride. For comparison reasons I also was wearing my GH625M. Here are my observations.

1. GH625 and GB580 does measure the ride differently.

625M: Distance 12,65 km, Avg Speed: 9,34 km/h
580B: Distance 11,72 km, Avg Speed: 8,66 km/h

While riding I noticed that the actual speed also was different. The cumulate altitude was nearly double measured by the 625M, than that of the GB580.

2. Button pressure. The amount of pressure that should be applied on the buttons is fairly high, when riding - and the mounting with the plastic-strips, does give some flexibility. I would like some buttons, that are a little easier to press - and a mounting solution, that is less flexible.

More to come....

/TT

I don't know which of the devices that are most accurate - but they surely aren't agreed.

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »

Hello TurboTorben,

I think the Altitude from the GB580 is the one who is more correct, because of the Barometer and GPS in combination are much better.

worrying is the difference in distance, but if you did put in the right diameter of your wheel it should be OK.

Regards.

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 03:40:15 pm »

I would have preferred that you have made just one model, that could be sold in a basic and pro version. The basic should hold the device and HRM-belt, and the pro should hold all the sensors. In this way you could upgrade your basic model to a pro - when you got the need. Well - maybe in next version.

Regards TT
I agree with you TT, P model definitely will be more interested for most cyclist because of posibility to use accessories.

B model does not give too much added value compared to regular bike computer without gps, so it should be reallu cheap to be wanted.

Rookie

TurboTorben

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »

Hello TurboTorben,

I think the Altitude from the GB580 is the one who is more correct, because of the Barometer and GPS in combination are much better.

worrying is the difference in distance, but if you did put in the right diameter of your wheel it should be OK.

Regards.

Albert

Hi Albert,

Well, both your conclusions would be correct if I had been so lucky that I got the GB580P model - but I'm "only" a tester of the GB580B model, which doesn't have the barometric instrument, and doesn't have the speed or cadence sensor neither.

So it's all GPS based measurements.

Regards TT

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 12:44:49 am »

2. Button pressure. The amount of pressure that should be applied on the buttons is fairly high, when riding .... I would like some buttons, that are a little easier to press ......

Fully agree. Ive heard this from S_A_S_C_H_A also.

Regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

canadien

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 02:21:14 am »

In the meantime, the developpment of a good loop mode could overcome that problem.

TurboTorben

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 02:39:47 pm »

/TT

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

/TT

But it should be reserved more space. :-\

I know - but the case seems big enough to hold a display that was a little wider than now.

Another solution could be the total opposite. Not to have the possibility to rotate display. The display in the GB580 is square. Therefore I dont see any reason to rotate it - after all it's just the case and buttons you rotate. The display have the same dimensions whether its vertical or horizontal.

If you should gain any advantages from rotating the display - I think it should be rectangular. In this way you could have the custom pages setup in one way when the device oriented vertical -for instance 4 fields in a stack - and when you rotate the device - the same fields could be with one field in each corner (couldn't find the right word for splitting the display by a cross).

/TT

TurboTorben

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:48 pm »

First ride impressions. Today I took the device out for a short ride. For comparison reasons I also was wearing my GH625M. Here are my observations.

1. GH625 and GB580 does measure the ride differently.

625M: Distance 12,65 km, Avg Speed: 9,34 km/h
580B: Distance 11,72 km, Avg Speed: 8,66 km/h

While riding I noticed that the actual speed also was different. The cumulate altitude was nearly double measured by the 625M, than that of the GB580.

2. Button pressure. The amount of pressure that should be applied on the buttons is fairly high, when riding - and the mounting with the plastic-strips, does give some flexibility. I would like some buttons, that are a little easier to press - and a mounting solution, that is less flexible.

More to come....

/TT

I don't know which of the devices that are most accurate - but they surely aren't agreed.

3. In the main menu the selected item is marked by a grey bar - this is very difficult to see especially in daylight. This needs to be darker to make more contrast to the background.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 20 queries.