USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 29687 times)

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »

Hi Geoffrey,

I would like a field "Clock" to configure in the customer menu to have the actual time in view.

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

TurboTorben

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:47 pm »

Hi Geoffrey,

I would like a field "Clock" to configure in the customer menu to have the actual time in view.

Best regards

Longjog

Yes, it would be great! I have been wishing for this in my GH625M also, and now the GB580B

/TT
GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

canadien

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »

Yes, it would be great! I have been wishing for this in my GH625M also, and now the GB580B

/TT
Yes, have been asking this for all devices!!

Phil

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »

My sample arrived today.

Didn't test it on the bike yet, but so far looks pretty nice, however it didn't come with a hand strap like canadien's as pictured on the unboxing thread (I wouldn't use it anyway, but I'm not sure if it's part of the pack or not).

The keys are a little hard to press indeed, but anyone who owns a GH625 should be used to that by now.

3. In the main menu the selected item is marked by a grey bar - this is very difficult to see especially in daylight. This needs to be darker to make more contrast to the background.

Turn the device on by pressing DOWN+POWER at the same time and this way you can adjust the display contrast to a darker level.
Obviously, this should be made accessible directly from the config menu as it is in the watch models.

Hi Geoffrey,

Best regards

Longjog

/TT

+1
This is already available on other models, and it should be kept, unless there's some technical limitation we don't know.
I would prefer this and drop the "time of day" page, or at least have the option to disable it.

Regards,
Phil

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 07:33:56 am »

Hello all,

I am very happy to have my sample, it came today.
1. it looks very nice, the software in the GB580P is easy to understand and to modify
2. Problem however with putting in my name, the grey bar around it is not really visible. Needs to be a bit darker, like the bars around the system settings-beeps-message only. This kind of contrast is what I prefer.
3. I like the overwhelming amount of settings in user pages, great.
4. The screen is very clear and good readable. 
5. The GPS receiving is good, in house my GH625 did not work, GB580 thus.
6. the buttons are hard to press once it is on the bike.
7. I like the 2 pieces speed and cadence, now you can decide to put the speed censor on the front wheel, otherwise it needs to be on the back wheel and could work just on the edge.

Hello TurboTorben,

I think the Altitude from the GB580 is the one who is more correct, because of the Barometer and GPS in combination are much better.

worrying is the difference in distance, but if you did put in the right diameter of your wheel it should be OK.

Regards.

Albert

Hi Albert,

Well, both your conclusions would be correct if I had been so lucky that I got the GB580P model - but I'm "only" a tester of the GB580B model, which doesn't have the barometric instrument, and doesn't have the speed or cadence sensor neither.

So it's all GPS based measurements.

I agree with you TT, the best Globalsat can do is to sell the GB580 with everything in there, except the barometer maybe, and sell the components separate so if in a later stadium you like to upgrade they can. This wil than be HR strap and the speed/cadence sensors
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

canadien

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:14 am »

+1
This is already available on other models,
Not in custom page??

Phil

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:52 am »

+1
This is already available on other models,
Not in custom page??

Yes, I can't check it right now, but I'm pretty sure I used it in a custom page on my GH625

jervanheg

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 11:22:09 am »

I hope to be adding more helpful suggestions soon! Unfortunately (...not), i'm currently on holiday in Turkey!

albert

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 02:22:52 pm »

Hello all,

I did try a quick track back and discovered that I need 8 OK times to get back to navigation map, this is not good!!!
Is there another way of doing hot key press to go from user page to navigation?

Loading in a kml or gpx file made my self (not driving but creating), gives no information at all. After loading in 3 files you can't find out which file to use!!
My suggestion is to make it possible to put in a sort name and make that as Identifier. Now only the day and time are the markers, but load them in from file menu in TG you get the day and time from this moment.

Turn the device on by pressing DOWN+POWER at the same time and this way you can adjust the display contrast to a darker level
Phil this did made not much difference.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202

TurboTorben

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 02:48:53 pm »

Hello all,

I did try a quick track back and discovered that I need 8 OK times to get back to navigation map, this is not good!!!
Is there another way of doing hot key press to go from user page to navigation?

Loading in a kml or gpx file made my self (not driving but creating), gives no information at all. After loading in 3 files you can't find out which file to use!!
My suggestion is to make it possible to put in a sort name and make that as Identifier. Now only the day and time are the markers, but load them in from file menu in TG you get the day and time from this moment.

Turn the device on by pressing DOWN+POWER at the same time and this way you can adjust the display contrast to a darker level
Phil this did made not much difference.

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert, I got the same result - but experimenting a little revealed that pressing "Power" and "Lap" did the trick. Then I could adjust the contrast. Better - but I would still prefer that the "grey" color was darker from the start.

/TT

TurboTorben

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

Hi again,

Took the device out for a short running trip today, along with my GH625. Again altitude is measured differently, but today the distance was better today (5.011km for GB580, 5.12km for GH625).

After the run, I saved the recording. When I wanted to see the route (Activity - View), I noticed that when the watch is configured to use "bird view" - and you zoom out in view-mode, sometimes the map is rotated 180 degrees, although I didn't move the device. I don't know if this is as designed.

/TT

albert

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 05:35:07 am »

Hello all,

I did yesterday a longer ride and tested the device.
Report of using the GB580P
Good points:
1.   Very nice display and clear to read even the little clock in map mode
2.   Hart rate monitor is very good
3.   Speed and cadence is working fine and accurate.
4.   Custom pages are very flexible and with 5 different items excellent
5.   Battery live excellent, I did drive 4 hours and only one line on the battery was gone.
6.   Track back is following better, quicker than the GH625
7.   Barometer is good noticeable because altitude is stable
8.   Birdís Eye View mode (BEV) is very nice
9.   Very nice, in the compass grid page, is the ETA(Estimated Time Arrival) and distance to go in real distance and not thru the air.

10.   The backlight possibility is a nice feature.
11.   The recorded data track is very precise
12.          TG has a nice page to put in alle the important user itmes and user pages, fantastic.

Points that need to be improved:
1.    If I pushed the page button (mounted on the bike you automatic hold the device between your hand otherwise you pull the computer from the mounting )    I had a few  times that accidently pressed also the down arrow button, resulting in changing the orientation from the screen from vertical to horizontal. Very annoying because sometimes it was  hard to get back in vertical again while driving above the 30 km/u. Suggestion: Change the quick button to page and arrow up together

2.   Back light is very nice but there is no option to switch it off. Suggestion: make in the menu the option switch off

3.   Barometer setting is now by pressure or putting in the height manually, but most of the time you start from home. Suggestion: make a field in Barometer page  with option default home altitude. So if device is switched on it calibrates automatic to default altitude, what is much user friendlier .

4.    Auto zoom in map mode did not work correctly, when I started and standing still, be away > 100 m from a smart track point it zoomed in to 5 meters and looking where to go with arrow up I good see where to go shortly and then it moved to 5 meter again. While driving around the 30 km/u it stayed between 1 and 2 km sometimes it came to 500m. Suggestion: auto zoom Smart Track Point <2 km zoom to 2 km, STP <1 km zoom to 1 km, STP<500 zoom to 500, STP<200 zoom to 200, STP<100 zoom to 100, STP<50 zoom to 50. For cycling this is the max zoom I think.

5.   The bicycle symbol is sometimes in the way, and not clear at all to make out if you are following the track correctly. Also in Birds Eye View mode the track recording line thus not follow the track line if you change to other directions than North, so it makes it messy and goís over the track line you are following. Suggestion: Change the bicycle symbol in the symbol like GH625 but a bit bigger and a bit stretched so the top of the arrow point is good to spot. The record line can be taken away if it canít handle  BEV, make the line solid if the STP is past so you know where you are at the moment. Together with the new arrow point it should be enough information.

6.   changing STP goal is not so nice as with the GH625, you have to go to the compass grid page and there it is possible to skip STP to next or go back. Not so bad but then the hassle starts to have to go around all pages to come back to map mode!!!! Suggestion: if track back is activated change the logic of ESC button  into go back 1 page function, because then it is possible to go quickly from user page to map or grid mode. I know the back light function canít work then, but this is a good choice I think.

7.   The Grey fields are not all very clear, also to change the contrast is not the solution because after this the normal darker grey in user page becomes too dark  . Suggestion: change the light grey fields to a bit darker.

8.   Better to have a separate on/off button. Suggestion: on the topside, makes it possible to do a lot better navigation thru the pages like back function and so on.

9.   I noticed the update of the AVeraGe (AVG)are done every second, it takes unnecessary time from the CPU, special if you do a exercise longer than a hour AVG thus need anything more than 7 sec calculating . Suggestion: monitor it only at least every 4 sec

10.   Power seems only to work with extra power device, nowhere mentioned except in accessories (scan). I thought it calculated from speed, cadence and HR.

11.   Slope did not work!!, or did not show. I did go over 2 bridges about 200m long and height difference of 8 m, slope stayed on ZERO. It was of course about 4%. Slope thus not show up in TG!!

12.   Max speed did give 215 km/h, in real I did max 39 km/u (another bicycle computer)

13.   If you select Track back the recording should start automatically, without having to go to user pages and then press arrow up .

Thinks who are unclear:

I saw a little white spot in the direction STP arrow in map mode, on the moment I did drive wrong direction (I Think) what is the meaning of this?

TurboTorben

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:52 pm »

FirmWare
In the GB-580B I have received there must be a small error in the firmware. I have configured it to use Metric system, but the custom page 5 (have default 5 fields), field number 3 is showing "ascending speed". This is shown as "mph", but in my opinion it should show "km/h".

Kind regards
TT

Hello TT,

Welcome to join us. :D
The "mph" means meter per hour, it often use for height calculation.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

"mph" might be correct notification for "meter per hour", but I think it can be understood as Mph (at least I did). In my GH625 the same is noted as "m/h". I think this is a better choice.

/TT

canadien

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »

@Thanks for your seuggestion Albert!
11.   The recorded data track is very precise
Yes on bike it's as much precise than on 625xt!

To all beta testers:
I am still moving your suggestions in the first post.
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3795.msg10041#msg10041
Please PM me if there are mistakes or things that I forgot!

TurboTorben

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:27 am »

2. Button pressure. The amount of pressure that should be applied on the buttons is fairly high, when riding .... I would like some buttons, that are a little easier to press ......

Fully agree. Iīve heard this from S_A_S_C_H_A also.

Regards

Longjog

Another argurment for larger and less hard buttons, is that here in Denmark we ride mountainbikes in early spring and late autumn, and ven sometimes in the winter. In these periods we wear gloves, and the then buttons on the GB580 will be too small to feel through the gloves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 20 queries.