USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 26964 times)

TurboTorben

Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:45 am »

I've just mounted GB-580 on my bike.

As a mountainbiker, I'm very much aware of the extreme forces that a bike has to endure on descents, etc. Road bikers wil have the same on cobblestones. Because of these forces, I've experienced the limits of some mounts first hand, losing a couple of devices while doing so :-(. For my Garmin Vista, I rely on either Softplate or Ram Mounts, as the standard Mount failed to keep the device secure.

And here's where I fear GB-580 may be vulnerable as well. The fit is NOT very secure. Please do try the following to illustrate my point :
- click GB-580 in the mount until click.Now try to push it our by applying pressure to the opposite side. You will find it actually sits quite well - but that is because you push the device "deeper" into the latch "cavity".
Now try the following :
- click GB-580 in the mount until click. Now grab GB-580 by the sides between two fingers. Slide out while slightly lifting the device upwards on the side of the latch. With my device, GB-580 came loose without effort whatsoever.
This is quite a concern - a safe mount is critical.

I would also recomment to provide a small hinge or something, so that riers may secure te device with a failsafe wire (which I always use - a piece of wire attached to the device and around my steering bar).

Totally agree on the mount issues. After all this device will (when it's in the shops) have a price, where you don't want to loose it. Also operating it would be easier if the device was locked securely in it's mount.

/TT
GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2011, 07:56:02 am »

As a mountainbiker, I'm very much aware of the extreme forces that a bike has to endure on descents, etc. Road bikers wil have the same on cobblestones. Because of these forces, I've experienced the limits of some mounts first hand, losing a couple of devices while doing so :-(. For my Garmin Vista, I rely on either Softplate or Ram Mounts, as the standard Mount failed to keep the device secure.

And here's where I fear GB-580 may be vulnerable as well. The fit is NOT very secure. Please do try the following to illustrate my point :
- click GB-580 in the mount until click.Now try to push it our by applying pressure to the opposite side. You will find it actually sits quite well - but that is because you push the device "deeper" into the latch "cavity".
Now try the following :
- click GB-580 in the mount until click. Now grab GB-580 by the sides between two fingers. Slide out while slightly lifting the device upwards on the side of the latch. With my device, GB-580 came loose without effort whatsoever.

I would also recomment to provide a small hinge or something, so that riers may secure te device with a failsafe wire (which I always use - a piece of wire attached to the device and around my steering bar).

Totally agree on the mount issues. After all this device will (when it's in the shops) have a price, where you don't want to loose it. Also operating it would be easier if the device was locked securely in it's mount.

/TT

Dear customers,

We have improved the mount security problem, the result seems satisfied. Now the samples are available.
Any volunteers want the testing? ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey ;)

jervanheg

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:37 am »

Picture ? '-)

TurboTorben

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »

Now try the following :

/TT

Dear customers,

We have improved the mount security problem, the result seems satisfied. Now the samples are available.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey ;)

Sure - will be happy to test new mount system!

Regards
/TT

TurboTorben

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »

Hi Geoffrey (and co-testers),

As I and others of the testers have pointed out the slope calculation is too slow, I've got this idea:

How about having two diffent slope functions (you choose which to use in config menu).

Slope function one (Road biking): I'm not a road biker so this is based on presumptions. The slope function for road bikers can be done over a long distance, because the climbs on roads is often long and smooth.

Slope function two (Mountain biking): As mountainbiker you as going on very fast changing terrain. Therefore the slope calculation should be over a short distance. I would like a calculation based on the current recording, and the two previous recordings (as a little smoothening of the calculations).

What do you say - test-friends? Any comments/improvements to this?

Regards
/TT

canadien

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 06:29:11 pm »

By the way if someone already mention a point I won't repeat it under another name.

Ex: Mounting weakness suggestion from jervanhe: I won't rewrite it under TurboTorben, Albert, etc. to save space.

canadien

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

I plan to do some mountain biking during my coming holliday if you want me to try (along with wrist strap). If you send it to me can you drop a small protective cap for gh625m please? Thx
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:41:46 pm by canadien »

jervanheg

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55:59 am »

By the way if someone already mention a point I won't repeat it under another name.

Ex: Mounting weakness suggestion from jervanhe: I won't rewrite it under TurboTorben, Albert, etc. to save space.

Hello Canadien,
Please don't forget the User Pages bug I reported a few posts back - this is quite a critical bug.
Thanks!
Jervanheg

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 10:54:48 am »

Hello Canadien,
Please don't forget the User Pages bug I reported a few posts back - this is quite a critical bug.
Thanks!
Jervanheg

Hello Jeroen,

I don't have that problem, I tried more than once, maybe it is your GB580?

Regards Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 11:02:13 am »

[We have improved the mount security problem, the result seems satisfied. Now the samples are available.
Any volunteers want the testing?
/quote]

Hello Geoffrey,

I like to test the mounting, but I am back home after the 4 August.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

jervanheg

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 11:28:18 am »

Hello Canadien,
Thanks!
Jervanheg

Hello Jeroen,

I don't have that problem, I tried more than once, maybe it is your GB580?

Regards Albert

Hello Albert,
I was quite surprised about this bug - and the fact that you/others would not have seen it immediately. So indeed, it may just be mine...
To make sure, I just did a Factory Reset, but the problem remains. The numbzr of data fields is remembered, but the data fields itself are NOT saved on shutdown/Startup.
Geoffrey, could this have to do with the fact that the firmware posted on
http://www.gs-sport.com/pro_dl.php?en_product_id=2&en_product_cnt_id=33
Is NOT compatible with my model? (without heartrate monitor). If so, can you provide a link to the older firmware, so I can attempt to downgrade to the previous version again?

Jervanheg

jervanheg

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:56 am »

Just re-did the firmware upgrade again... problem remains. The number of fields selected is remembered, but the data fields themselves are lost.

(I noticed the firmwares posted for both models have the same serial number...)
Can anyone using GB-580B try the same please?

TurboTorben

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 02:42:25 pm »

Good idea! but I still think that testers should report any errors or wishes to functionality - even though they have already been reported by other users. This will give Geoffrey and company an idea of how big the problem/wish is.

/TT

TurboTorben

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »

Just re-did the firmware upgrade again... problem remains. The number of fields selected is remembered, but the data fields themselves are lost.

(I noticed the firmwares posted for both models have the same serial number...)
Can anyone using GB-580B try the same please?

Hi Jervanheg,

I have tried to reproduce the error about user pages as you describe - and you're right - the device doesn't remember which data it should show and returns to the default values. I also have the GB580B.

/TT

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2011, 04:36:45 pm »

Hi Geoffrey (and co-testers),

As I and others of the testers have pointed out the slope calculation is too slow, I've got this idea:

How about having two diffent slope functions (you choose which to use in config menu).

Slope function one (Road biking): I'm not a road biker so this is based on presumptions. The slope function for road bikers can be done over a long distance, because the climbs on roads is often long and smooth.

Slope function two (Mountain biking): As mountainbiker you as going on very fast changing terrain. Therefore the slope calculation should be over a short distance. I would like a calculation based on the current recording, and the two previous recordings (as a little smoothening of the calculations).

What do you say - test-friends? Any comments/improvements to this?

Regards
/TT
How about if slope calculation would be time based, then it automatically calculate slope by shorter distance when speed is slow (typically mountain biking on hard trail) and by longer distance when speed is higher (typically on roads)

Adjustable value of time (or distance) could be useful.

Rookie
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 19 queries.