USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 30985 times)

canadien

Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »

By the way if someone already mention a point I won't repeat it under another name.

Ex: Mounting weakness suggestion from jervanhe: I won't rewrite it under TurboTorben, Albert, etc. to save space.

Good idea! but I still think that testers should report any errors or wishes to functionality - even though they have already been reported by other users. This will give Geoffrey and company an idea of how big the problem/wish is.

/TT
You are right but I am assuming that Tech are following this thread where testers are making emphasis on some points. If you think it's not enough I am willing to add them to first post but it will be long. Personally when I read it like feel that you have all judicious suggestions. We can wait until the first firmware correction as it might be all corrected. And if it's not enough I'll add them all in a later time. What do you think?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:11:10 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2011, 07:03:24 pm »

Please don't forget the User Pages bug I reported a few posts back - this is quite a critical bug.
Ok, added! (was waiting for confirmation from other users and now we have it)

Roger C

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 10:51:30 am »

Hi hi!

On Thursday this week i took my MTB to the forrest and went for a ride.
And what happend, my GB-580P was gone after 20 min of cycling, only the bad plastic mountingthing was still on, the todays mounting isn't made for bumpy ride in the forrest.
Angry and frustrated over that i was going to left it there forever, but i  (me and my training-partner) went back looking for it and supprisingly i found it on the ground, after 10-15min of searching in a downhill slope 500m back.

After that it went down in my pocket and will never be used in the terrain again, with todays mounting.

So yes, i realy like to have a new improved mounting, otherwise this gps-computer will only work on fine tarmac roads.

And some auto rotate of custom page would be nice and with that statusline (ex. battery, clock, timer stopped symbol) that is on Clock-page on all custom page to.

//Roger C

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2011, 11:46:58 am »

Hello all,

I am still in France, and did from the 19e of July until now 1150 km with the GB580P. 8)

And what happend, my GB-580P was gone after 20 min of cycling, only the bad plastic mountingthing was still on, the todays mounting isn't made for bumpy ride in the forrest.
Yes, I did lost my computer 2 times now on bumpy roads, could luckcerly find it back.

The good tinks first:
1. The trackback is very good and the next page to change the Smart Track Points, is Ideal. Because you see if the track starts before your own position (the track came from internet en is devided in pieces) it is simple to press through untill the STP km goes from down to up again. Than you know you are now in the ahead situation and can follow the track, also the compas on that page is giving the direction.
2. The slope function is very nice, my cycle mades are jelous about it. They ask all the time give me the figures please.
3. Altitude is excelent, alt + is also very precice. I know this because in France at the top of the Cols (moutain) there is a altitude max and mine is always very close, more than the ohter drivers.
4. The amound on data you can put on the user pages is great. I use on all 4 pages 6 items. The speed, cadence and HR is on all of them, because I find this as most important.
5. The support from Globalsat, allready they bussy implementing our ideas.

Points for better device:
1. Better and different zoom function STP based, and maybe for a little bit speed based.
2. Better holder for the device, but it is there allready only could not try it jet.
3.Slope calculation over a schorter time, Recording to Geoffrey they working on it.
4. Changing the layout of handeling the user data pages. If you go into the user pages the up and down key should page through the user pages until you press OK. Starting the recording should be made automatic and saving the data could be done by ESC key. The OK works than like the GH625 and you go through the other pages in a cycle.

For the rest it is a excelent device and I am very happy with it, crossing with track back through France.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

canadien

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

I am still in France, and did from the 19e of July until now 1150 km with the GB580P. 8)
This is a real road try out! So slope is dope eh?
For the rest it is a excelent device and I am very happy with it, crossing with track back through France.
Me too. The more I use it the more I like it even if I use it 2 times running for one time cycling.

Have a good road trip continuity!

canadien

Slow speed slope test
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »

Ok now that I have some free time I'll go out for hill running on thursday and bring 580 and xt. But on what I can base my slope comparison? How you guys do??
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:24:25 pm by canadien »

TurboTorben

Re: Slow speed slope test
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 01:14:02 am »

Ok now that I have some free time I'll go out for hill running on thursday and bring 580 and xt. But on what I can base my slope comparison? How you guys do??
Hi Canadien,

I use Sporttracks. In ST you can find the average slope for a climb - either by measuring height and distance of a climb, dividing height with distance and multiply by 100. Then you have the avg. slope for that climb. An easier way is to use the plugin "course score". This can identify the climbs, and by it self calculate longest, steepest and hardest climb - but again only avg. slope - not actual as the GB580.

Looking forward to hear what conclusion you make...

Regards
TT

My observations are that GB580 can calculate slope correct - if it gets time enough, that is the hill is long enough. Where I have seen that GB580 has its problems is when slope changes. Then it takes way too long before the slope is correct.
GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

canadien

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:06 am »

Ok I see. Will check it for fun  :)

jervanheg

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2011, 11:16:09 am »

This isn't even a bug, and probably not worth correcting. but hey, at least you know...

If you have 6 fields on the user page, I noticed that not all digits in those fields are located on the same baseline. Example - put a field "time" next to "speed" - and you'll notice that there is (one vertical pixel) difference in alignment between these two.

Again, no dealbreaker!

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
Re: Slow speed slope test
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:02 am »

Unfortunately I don't think it's suitable for running right now. I just got max 3% even if it was around 30% for relatively long distance...
:o You are running a slope of 30% for a relatively long distance  :o ?
I'm always impressed by all those top atlethic perfomances of several forum members here.
I could never do that...

Regards, Hubert
GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326

canadien

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:02 am »

Hubert "relatively" I meant long enough for slope to change on GP-580...  :P

It is about 6km and I've only done it twice up and down so a little more than 20km. Don't worry: nothing to compare to others members performance ;-)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:13:01 am by canadien »

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »

Hi Geoffrey (and co-testers),

As I and others of the testers have pointed out the slope calculation is too slow, I've got this idea:

How about having two diffent slope functions (you choose which to use in config menu).

Slope function one (Road biking): I'm not a road biker so this is based on presumptions. The slope function for road bikers can be done over a long distance, because the climbs on roads is often long and smooth.

Slope function two (Mountain biking): As mountainbiker you as going on very fast changing terrain. Therefore the slope calculation should be over a short distance. I would like a calculation based on the current recording, and the two previous recordings (as a little smoothening of the calculations).

What do you say - test-friends? Any comments/improvements to this?

Regards
/TT
How about if slope calculation would be time based, then it automatically calculate slope by shorter distance when speed is slow (typically mountain biking on hard trail) and by longer distance when speed is higher (typically on roads)

Adjustable value of time (or distance) could be useful.

Rookie
Why this is not applicable?

Rookie

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »

Wrist strap is what some potential custemers are asked.
Have you any plans to provide that for GB-580?

Rookie

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:52 am »

Picture ? '-)

Almost the same, just raise the rib to increase strength. 2kg -->10kg.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Hubert

• Hubert (Germany)
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2011, 01:41:57 am »

Hi Canadien,
Hubert "relatively" I meant long enough for slope to change on GP-580...  :P

It is about 6km and I've only done it twice up and down so a little more than 20km. Don't worry: nothing to compare to others members performance ;-)
I wasn't astonished about the distance, I was more astonished about the slope.
Okay - I have to admit, that I never thought about slope before and I never used altitude related values.
I'm a "lazy runner", who preferes to run in more flat areas and only a few times in training I also run uphill.

So, I think we have different definitions of what "slope" means. From my school days (which are really
long also) I thought, a slope of 30% for a distance of 6km means you have to climb up a mountain with
a hight of 1800m ! Not exactly, because in this example in fact you would run a slightly longer distance
of about 6,26 km, but for easier calcluation you can see what I mean.

And for me this is really impressive !  And the fact, that you run "only" 6km, makes it even more impressive.
I was thinking you were talking about 100, 200 or 300m !  But now, after calculating the example above,
I think we have different defintions of slope. Or did you really run up a hill of 1800 meters ( :o  2 times ? :o).

Maybe somebody can help us with slope calculation ?

Regards, Hubert

GH-625XT, Firmware: F-GGH-2P-1112231 (Beta)
GH-505 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2C-1007161 (Beta)
GH-625 M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1001073 (Version XII)
with GS-Sport Gym Pro v1.6.8 and Sporttracks 2.1.3326
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 19 queries.