USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: GB-580 sample review  (Read 26757 times)

TurboTorben

Re: GB-580 sample review
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »

Hi guys,

While I'm waiting for the first firmware update, I'm using the GB580B now - just as a normal training device - and not directly testing. Today I discovered a little thing. When you have been training and you want to stop the data recording - the watch has to be showing one of the customizeable pages. If it is showing the watch or the map - you cant stop the training recording. Have others observed this - and is this done by purpose?

Regards 
TT
GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2011, 02:41:31 pm »

Hi guys,

While I'm waiting for the first firmware update, I'm using the GB580B now - just as a normal training device - and not directly testing. Today I discovered a little thing. When you have been training and you want to stop the data recording - the watch has to be showing one of the customizeable pages. If it is showing the watch or the map - you cant stop the training recording. Have others observed this - and is this done by purpose?

Regards 
TT

Hello TT,

Answer is yes, it is not a big deal is it? did you try the map navigation? and if yes do you like it?
I like the bicycle computer very much, it needs some corrections but it is nice and small.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

TurboTorben

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2011, 06:00:16 am »

Hi Albert,

No its not a big thing - just a surprise :D - as far as I remember my GH-625M can be stopped recording, no matter what page it is showing.

Haven't tested the navigation part much - because - as I wrote Geoffrey earlier, I use it as at training device, and not as a navigation tool.

I also like the device a lot. Thats why I'm offering the time to test, and hopefully help to make it even better!

Regards
TT

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:59 am »

Hello Geoffrey,

The new holder is perfect, it is solid and it is not possible to pull it off by hand accidentally.
Good work. I hope the update FW thus not take too long?

Regards,

albert

Hi Albert,

We have implement "Superior Smart Track Back" on GH-625XT, it will automatically trace into 200 points less with 50m interval distance and specific turn angel.
It may help you to navigate without problem. ;) Our team is testing that now. And will plant to GB-580 once no problem.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2011, 03:08:33 am »

Hi Geoffrey (and co-testers),

As I and others of the testers have pointed out the slope calculation is too slow, I've got this idea:

How about having two diffent slope functions (you choose which to use in config menu).

Slope function one (Road biking): I'm not a road biker so this is based on presumptions. The slope function for road bikers can be done over a long distance, because the climbs on roads is often long and smooth.

Slope function two (Mountain biking): As mountainbiker you as going on very fast changing terrain. Therefore the slope calculation should be over a short distance. I would like a calculation based on the current recording, and the two previous recordings (as a little smoothening of the calculations).

What do you say - test-friends? Any comments/improvements to this?

Regards
/TT
How about if slope calculation would be time based, then it automatically calculate slope by shorter distance when speed is slow (typically mountain biking on hard trail) and by longer distance when speed is higher (typically on roads)

Adjustable value of time (or distance) could be useful.

Rookie
Why this is not applicable?

Rookie

Hello Rookie and TT,

I already mentioned this to Geoffrey, and they changing the calculating time and make it quicker for the GB580P, because it can with the barometer. Without the barometer function it almost impossible to make the calculation time shorter, than the slope would give not stable values. My experience in 1650 km with 77 mountains is that if the mountain is long enough the slope is very exact only giving the value from a few 100 meters in the passed. I really  like the performance of the bicycle computer, it can be made better in some points, but the good thing is Globalsat team is always listening to there costumers.
I am back in the Netherlands again and hope to get to test the new holder for the GB580P.

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert, Rookie, TT

Thanks for valuable suggestions and love our products. For slope improvement, we may add one selection item as "SLOPE SMOOTH" which has NONE, MEDIUM, FLAT for both model.
For B and P, we use 60 ALT avg difference divided interval time. (Why 60 avg points? Since GPS altitude is not reliable)
We may through to control the interval time to adjust the slope response time.

Any idea? ;)

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:11:46 am by TWG_TECH4 »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2011, 03:26:14 am »

Finally I have had littlle bit time to test my GB-580P. Sorry about this delay but I was totally occupied with LDEC Triathlon organizing tasks and no change to do any training in last 6 week. But now I can see light at the end of tunnel and focus my own training and testing again.

After my first test ride here is few points what is on my mind.

At first. GB-580P looks and feel like very high quality device. Display is very good, buttons are good, design and color is perfect and at overall it doesn't give me any feeling that it is a toy.

Here is some points I like to share and hope some improvement.

Slope shows me 0% all the time. I'm not sure if this is feature because calculation is maybe done after long climbing. If this is reason, I propose to make calculation time based ( for example after climbed 10s, it calculate slope) and also user adjustable time value.

Track back feature is bit weard. Arrow which pointing direction was in worst case pointing 45 degrees to wrong direction. This happen when I made loop where I past my route about 500m away from later position (I still was on track at this moment). I think arrow pointing to track point which was located too far from current point.

Also Track back function would be much better if on map could be pointer to show your current location and direction where you are going at the moment. Pointer could be triangle shape.

Bike mount.
What you think if there wouldn't be any separate bike mount? Could it be managed by diffrent bottom (arched shape) and with O-rings (rubber band) to attach device to stem or bar?
That would allow easy attchment it quicly many bikes without removing holder from bike to another every time when use diffrent bike (road, mtb or cyclocross for example)

I was chating with few triathletes about product and all of them asked wrist band option. I hope this could be available also in package later.

Rookie

Hi Rookie, Albert,

We have improved Smart Track scenario, we are evaluating now. For Slope, we may add selection item to control time frame to calculate slope to get a suitable response time.
About twist holder, it is a good idea, we will study it. ;)
The wrist band is available,  I am wonder is it with additional valuable to customer if we put into packaging as optional?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2011, 03:31:14 am »

Finally I have had littlle bit time to test my GB-580P. Sorry about this delay but I was totally occupied with LDEC Triathlon organizing tasks and no change to do any training in last 6 week. But now I can see light at the end of tunnel and focus my own training and testing again.

After my first test ride here is few points what is on my mind.

At first. GB-580P looks and feel like very high quality device. Display is very good, buttons are good, design and color is perfect and at overall it doesn't give me any feeling that it is a toy.

Here is some points I like to share and hope some improvement.

Slope shows me 0% all the time. I'm not sure if this is feature because calculation is maybe done after long climbing. If this is reason, I propose to make calculation time based ( for example after climbed 10s, it calculate slope) and also user adjustable time value.

Track back feature is bit weard. Arrow which pointing direction was in worst case pointing 45 degrees to wrong direction. This happen when I made loop where I past my route about 500m away from later position (I still was on track at this moment). I think arrow pointing to track point which was located too far from current point.

Also Track back function would be much better if on map could be pointer to show your current location and direction where you are going at the moment. Pointer could be triangle shape.

Bike mount.
What you think if there wouldn't be any separate bike mount? Could it be managed by diffrent bottom (arched shape) and with O-rings (rubber band) to attach device to stem or bar?
That would allow easy attchment it quicly many bikes without removing holder from bike to another every time when use diffrent bike (road, mtb or cyclocross for example)

I was chating with few triathletes about product and all of them asked wrist band option. I hope this could be available also in package later.

Rookie

Hi Rookie, Albert,

We have improved Smart Track scenario, we are evaluating now. For Slope, we may add selection item to control time frame to calculate slope to get a suitable response time.
About twist holder, it is a good idea, we will study it. ;)
For the wrist band, it is available. I am wondering is it additional value if we put into packaging as optional?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

albert

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2011, 11:55:17 am »

Hello Geoffrey,

Thanks for the (many) reply's.
First I love to test the  "Superior Smart Track Back" once it is there.

For slope improvement, we may add one selection item as "SLOPE SMOOTH" which has NONE, MEDIUM, FLAT for both model.
For B and P, we use 60 ALT avg difference divided interval time. (Why 60 avg points? Since GPS altitude is not reliable)
My question is, what do you mean by "SLOPE SMOOTH" about FLAT what is the logic behind it? Is it riding on almost flat surface so the slope is reacting quicker.

Regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2011, 03:32:54 am »

Hello Geoffrey,

Thanks for the (many) reply's.
First I love to test the  "Superior Smart Track Back" once it is there.

For slope improvement, we may add one selection item as "SLOPE SMOOTH" which has NONE, MEDIUM, FLAT for both model.
My question is, what do you mean by "SLOPE SMOOTH" about FLAT what is the logic behind it? Is it riding on almost flat surface so the slope is reacting quicker.

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

SLOPE SMOOTH:

FAST: [Avg (ALT(5+10s):ALT(1+10s))-Avg(ALT(5):ALT(1))]/Dist(10s)
MEDIUM: [Avg (ALT(30+1min):ALT(1+1min))-Avg(ALT(30):ALT(1))]/Dist(1min)
FLAT:  [Avg (ALT(60+3min):ALT(1+3min))-Avg(ALT(60):ALT(1))]/Dist(3min)

What do you think?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:39:00 am by TWG_TECH4 »

albert

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2011, 09:20:34 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

SLOPE SMOOTH:

This looks good, this way everybody can decide his ideal slope calculation. Al do I would prefer Reaction FAST, MEDIUM, SLOW.
Because Flat would look like and meaning driving in a flat country, but this is the opposite.
So medium could work in my country even without barometer inside.

Regards,

Albert 

canadien

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2011, 02:49:16 pm »

Agree with Albert: slow better than flat. And as for the wrist adapter it is certainly valuable and useful for user to get it. IMO it should not be optional because, like your watches, you always give a handlebar adapter so it is justify to drop a wrist adapter in the package ;-) Personally I really like it.

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »

I think that wrist band is not too expensive to put package, it might increace package price 1-2usd, but gives much more value for users.

About slope smooth, terms Slow, Medium and Fast sounds much more cleare for me as well.

Rookie

TurboTorben

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2011, 01:42:23 am »

...I agree in the naming of the slope calculations. Also the designations Fast and Slow gives the user a good association of what you are choosing between. Fast/Flat doesn't have any thing in common.

Looking forward to test the new algorithms ;D

/TT

canadien

« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:21 pm »

Looking forward to test the new algorithms ;D

Me too. They are integrating the smart track back which will be a value feature. After that I think they will work on our proposals/requests.

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2011, 03:03:04 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

SLOPE SMOOTH:

This looks good, this way everybody can decide his ideal slope calculation. Al do I would prefer Reaction FAST, MEDIUM, SLOW.
Because Flat would look like and meaning driving in a flat country, but this is the opposite.
So medium could work in my country even without barometer inside.

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Thanks for confirmation.
Once we finished "Superior Smart Track Back", then we turn to implement "SLOPE".

Have a nice weekend,

Geoffrey
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 20 queries.