USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight watch  (Read 4744 times)

canadien

Lightweight watch
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »

Now that You know how to program ssiv I wonder if it's possible for you to invent a small low cost daily use gps watch that would have just speed and distance with usb connection just for charging.

For the size it could be like any regular sport watch. So this watch would be useful for "on the go" sport activity or for race (not bulky).

Or is the technology not yet far enough to have a small gps watch? If yes, am the first to buy  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:31:21 pm by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
Re: Lightweight watch
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:24:46 am »

Now that You know how to program ssiv I wonder if it's possible for you to invent a small low cost daily use gps watch that would have just speed and distance with usb connection just for charging.

For the size it could be like any regular sport watch. So this watch would be useful for "on the go" sport activity or for race (not bulky).

Or is the technology not yet far enough to have a small gps watch? If yes, am the first to buy  :)

Hi Canadian,

GH-595 might fit the demand. ;)
Does it need to support 2.4 ANT? Or other training features? What is the reasonable price?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

canadien

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:29:55 am »

The GH-595 will be too big for what I am talking about.

I just saying a ultra minimalist GPS watch based on a solid stylish approach and litte portability to complete the marketing or product segmentation of GS-Sport. Like if you would have a normal well designed sport watch but with one special feature: a speed and distance gps function. Nothing more, not even HR (or could it be optional?). I was thinking between 60$ and 80$ ???

This time the challenge (the main axe or the highlight of the watch) would be it's look/appearance (to use it daily even at work and office), it's slim thickness and small aize. The usb only for charging and the plug could be included in the watch or no (see pics below) depending on battery lifetime. Of course it could compete with nike+ watch and Garmin Forerunner 110 because open to larger public.

Here some example of usb connection including or not the usb plug into the watch. They are all analog but of here I am talking digital in this post:

This one is GPS but hard to say if it is bulky or not:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:00:52 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:29:22 pm »

... and I would call it: Gs-Sport little racer!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:54:10 pm by canadien »

canadien

Me little racer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:22:37 pm »

Ok I must admit that it makes no sens of having usb without being able to upload activity.

So here what I propose and it must not sacrifying on size and thickness!!

So still with only speed and distance function, you ship the watch with a lite version of training gym and make sur it's available for 3 platforms: mac, linux and windows. It would only shows activity on a map with speed graph and HR graph (hr  = optionnal). It would be also easy to upload on a web server. The lite version of TG would be ergonomic (not much functions) and filtered by a good graphist. Of course it would ba backward compatible with TGpro for pc.  Finally the watch would have basic clock function ex: alarm and chrono. The purpose of all that is too target large public.

After that, according to the popularity and public response for the product along mac and linux users, you decide to invest or not on moving tgpro on linux and mac platform. I think it would also serve as publicity for your others Gs-sport products (hardware and software)..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:06:44 am by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:44:22 am »

The GH-595 will be too big for what I am talking about.

I just saying a ultra minimalist GPS watch based on a solid stylish approach and litte portability to complete the marketing or product segmentation of GS-Sport. Like if you would have a normal well designed sport watch but with one special feature: a speed and distance gps function. Nothing more, not even HR (or could it be optional?). I was thinking between 60$ and 80$ ???

This time the challenge (the main axe or the highlight of the watch) would be it's look/appearance (to use it daily even at work and office), it's slim thickness and small aize. The usb only for charging and the plug could be included in the watch or no (see pics below) depending on battery lifetime. Of course it could compete with nike+ watch and Garmin Forerunner 110 because open to larger public.

Here some example of usb connection including or not the usb plug into the watch. They are all analog but of here I am talking digital in this post:

This one is GPS but hard to say if it is bulky or not:

Hi Canadian,

Our team is researching this application, the big challenge is battery life, due to GPS chipset consumes much power.
Therefore, it has to reserve more space to build in a big rechargeable battery.
If only embeds a traditional coin type battery, the battery life will be less than 5hrs if GPS is active.   :o
It is difficult to image that often to replace or recharging battery. ???

Sincerely,

Geoffrey :P

canadien

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »

I understand.

Anyway, I spoke to "running room" shop manager last week and he confirm me that a lot of people are looking for minimal gps watch (only speed-distance). Even himself as is a great runner (don't want to play with config, compass and all). A bit in the spirit of nike+ gps, but nike+ gps watch represents a lot of money. Maybe you can offer a well designed solution from globalsat? Forget about the clock feature if it cause batterie space problem.

To open door to larger public, you can offer TGym lite version for pc, mac and linux user like I mentioned here:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3810.msg10214#msg10214

canadien

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00:10 pm »

Ok throwing idea:
Could it be like mix of this battery wristband strap/bracelet:

And the new ipod nano that you can put on a strap and use it like a watch:

So basically you have a normal watch that you can switch strap. When you install it on battery strap, it enables GPS..?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:49:17 pm by canadien »

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:57 am »

Looks like an interesting gadget.

Anders

canadien

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

Well at least you can still use your gps has normal watch while charging your battery strap

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:34 am »

Our engineer is interested this concept. They are thinking the new implementation. ;)

canadien

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 05:25:20 pm »

NIce... I am sure they'll do a good job! They could put the battery (and memory??) into the bracket of the bracelet to keep the rest of the strap flexible and sportive.

Target people could be those who make sport before/after work or during lunch time. So design could be class enough to be wore at office when use as normal watch (without battery strap)...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:26:57 pm by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:08:52 am »

NIce... I am sure they'll do a good job! They could put the battery (and memory??) into the bracket of the bracelet to keep the rest of the strap flexible and sportive.

Target people could be those who make sport before/after work or during lunch time. So design could be class enough to be wore at office when use as normal watch (without battery strap)...

Thanks.
Our target is making watch could be used up to 1 year. ;) Still a far way to go...

canadien

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »

Not so far. I might have not been clear enough but my idea included dual battery. A little round battery into the watch to supply normal clock function and easily replacable by user and the strap battery to supply GPS function.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:58:57 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:57:45 pm »

Not so far. I might have not been clear enough but my idea included dual battery. A little round battery into the watch to supply normal clock function and easily replacable by user and the strap battery to supply GPS function.
At 3:00 minutes from the beginning you can see how ipod nano pops in a sport silicon strap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvzUOsx060o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 19 queries.