USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use with Parrot Asteroid  (Read 1431 times)

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Use with Parrot Asteroid
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:49:09 pm »

rhoutte

Re: Use with Parrot Asteroid
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:31:22 am »

I have a Parrot Asteroid, which uses, I assume, a gps dongle made by Globalsat. I mounted it in every position possible (dashboard, on the windshield - where there is no heatshielding - even outside the car.
But still I cannot get a GPS signal in 95% of the times the Asteroid unit is running.

The LED on the GPS reciever is red all the time I can't get a fix. The GPS is switched on in the menu of the Asteroid, and the unit recognises the GPS reciever.

Parrot couldn't help me, tried a factory reset, updated the software to 1.6.0 yesterday, used the reset button on the radio, tried different USB ports, ....

Anyone with a suggestion???
How can I test th GPS reciever?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:38:36 am »

Just a couple of questions:

Does your device looks like the one below? If so, it's the BU-353:

Is this your first time using this device? If not, can you please state how long has it work?
Has the red light ever blink or flash?

What is the testing environment?
Is the device placed in a way where it can access the clear, open sky? No tall trees or buildings around?

rhoutte

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »

The receiver is the one in your picture.

It does work occasionally, most of the time when the car has been standing still for a night. When I'm driving around it's mostly on the highway, so yes there is open access to the sky.
When I have a GPS fix, the light is flashing. All the other time the line is red and not flashing.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »

Thanks for the confirmation.

So, the majority of the time, it cannot acquire a fix and the LED is not blinking? Even there are no tall trees or buildings around?

Perhaps, you can test it with the GPSInfo and perform the Cold Start function to reset the device. In order to do this, install the driver first in your computer. If you have Windows, you can download the driver from here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip
Then, download the GPSInfo program (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downloads/GPSInfo.zip). Make sure to extract the file first and install the application.

So, that the device is able to 'see' the satellites, please bring your computer outside where there is clear access to the sky and no tall buildings or trees around. Open up the GPSInfo utility, select the com port, and set the Baud Rate to 4800. Click Start GPS. Check if the red light is blinking on the device. Also, confirm the Status in the GPSInfo program (No Fix, 2D, 3D). Observe if the device is unable to get a fix.

If the problem still persists, please unplug the device, wait for a few seconds, and plug it back again. Open up the program again. After awhile, press the Cold Start button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 18 queries.