Disclaimer: Everything is not final yet, but I would like to refer to this update from other posts. There will be updates.
The Globalsat Device Plugin from ZoneFiveSoftware and Phil's Waypoint (KeyMaze) plugin were both written for Globalsat devices and had separate implementations of similar Globalsat protocols.
Phil's plugin had some features that could be used by other users too. In addition, there are other plugins that handles waypoints and routes like old man biking's Waypoints and Courses plugin, that could be adapted to access Globalsat devices. Both plugins were a little difficult to maintain, with most devices separated. In addition, I have some thoughts on adding support for Globalsat in GPSBabel, using the existing plugins as a basis.
To achieve this me and Zingo have moved all Globalsat device handling to the Globalsat device handling. This has required a lot of rewrite. As an example, I had made 5 svn commits to get the first public version of the device plugin. For this release, there are 87 more commits. The code is adapted to simplify adding of new devices.
Me and Zingo only have the possibility to test the few devices we have access to, so there are more tests needed.
Some items also need a response from Globalsat. For instance if sending activities to Globalsat will be supported or if Routes will be.
Me and Zingo have access to 625XT, 625M and 505. The plugins also supports most of GB580 functionality. GH561 waypoint support is implemented but not tested. There are code for 615, but 615 is considered depreciated. I doubt that there are any users with 615 that use SportTracks, the 615 is completely untested. The code not removed but no functions are added for the device.
You need to update both plugins from previously released versions.
Overview of changes:
Most details in the changes log: http://code.google.com/p/globalsat-sporttracks-plugin/wiki/Changes
* Renamed to Waypoints Plugin from Phil's KeyMaze plugin. Less generic name anyone?
* The plugin has GUI for some specific Globalsat features like SendActivity if the Globalsat Device plugin is installed. The intention is that these actions could be done by other plugins too, like Waypoints&Courses from old_man_biking.
* 625XT SendRoutes sends a route, but it all fields are blank. Use the route hangs the device.
* 625XT SendActivity hangs the device when sending. Disconnect USB to restart.
* 505 has problem receiving Routes (activities seem OK).
The following remains for a official release:
* Test reports that device detection works also for other users.
* Test reports for the GB580 and GH561
* Knowledge if someone were using the import plugin for other than the supported plugins, and test reports for them.
* Better Device Import Images for GH-625XT and GS-Sport
* Permission from Globalsat to use the images and the Globalsat/GS-Sport names
What to test:
* GS_Sport (Generic) device import.
* Device detection in Generic, device specific dialogs