USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 625xt and apple mac support thanks to Macmaze 3  (Read 4138 times)

canadien

625xt and apple mac support thanks to Macmaze 3
« on: December 12, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »

To all mac users,

You'll be please to know that Jeremy, the author of macmaze, has just rewritten his handful application.

With macmaze 3 you can do all the basics needs: import data from 625xt, see you track on google map and open street maps, log all your trainings etc.

Here is a glimpse of Jeremy's work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EiRGwDzoZZo

With macmaze you can then use your 625xt with your favorite mac gps softwares i.e. trailrunnerx, ascent, rubitrack, mytracks, trackrunner, iSMARTtrain, etc.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:03:45 pm by canadien »

s_a_s_c_h_a

• Regular Members
Re: 625xt and apple mac support thanks to Macmaze 3
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »

thank you, well than i'd like to try.

where can i get macmacze3?!

honestly i need it for a gh505 but i want to try.

thank you and regards,

sascha

canadien

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »

Hi Sacha,

I am waiting for the final release before asking Jeremy to support 505. Like he said in the video it will be due for the end of december.

Maybe 505 will be supported without modifying the soft?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:09:19 pm by canadien »

gerhard

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »

Maybe 505 will be supported without modifying the soft!
Special support is needed, all Globalsat devices I have seen differ in some aspect.

GH505 is relative similar to GB580 if that is supported, there are some similarities with GH625XT too, with regards to reading tracks.
(If MacMaze is open source, the plugin import code can be used in MacMaze too.)

canadien

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »

Special support is needed, all Globalsat devices I have seen differ in some aspect.

GH505 is relative similar to GB580 if that is supported, there are some similarities with GH625XT too, with regards to reading tracks.
Problem with GB580 is that there is no mac driver for it as it is based on stm32 (STMicroelectronics, www.st.com).

Macmaze will be drop on the mac app store for lowest price. I don't think it will be open source.

AS for stm32 driver:

Code: [Select]
GCC is readily available for OSX, although it's reported time consuming to download and set up.

The STLink v1 (as on the 32VLDiscovery) is problematic on Apple because it emulates a SCSI device, and Apple doesn't provide a user-level API that's like Linux SG / SCSI Generic.

The STLink v2 works with a branch of my stlink-download utility, available on Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/arm-utilities/source/browse/trunk#trunk%2Fstlink-download
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:19:06 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:43:01 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

Jeremy has just contacted me. He is away for holliday until next weekend but will send you (and I) next week something to try on your new mac before official release.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:17:57 pm by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:35:57 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

Jeremy has just contacted me. He is away for holliday until next weekend but will send you (and I) next week something to try on your new mac before official release.

Hi Canadien,

It is a good news! We have purchase Mac Book and IpadII and also eager to have a experience on MacMaze.
Just a questions, we just have new release with additional features like Route, I am not sure that Jeremy was aware of this? ;)

Best Regards,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:39:04 am »

Problem with GB580 is that there is no mac driver for it as it is based on stm32 (STMicroelectronics, www.st.com).

Macmaze will be drop on the mac app store for lowest price. I don't think it will be open source.

AS for stm32 driver:

Code: [Select]
GCC is readily available for OSX, although it's reported time consuming to download and set up.

The STLink v1 (as on the 32VLDiscovery) is problematic on Apple because it emulates a SCSI device, and Apple doesn't provide a user-level API that's like Linux SG / SCSI Generic.

The STLink v2 works with a branch of my stlink-download utility, available on Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/arm-utilities/source/browse/trunk#trunk%2Fstlink-download

Dear all,

About Mac driver of GB-580, we are thinking the new methold as making device as a storage device after plug into PC as long as several folders will be shown on device. Each folders has its partipicular data. It should be support with any problems with Windows or Mac. Do you any ideas on this?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

gerhard

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

we are thinking the new methold as making device as a storage device after plug into PC as long as several folders will be shown on device. Each folders has its partipicular data. It should be support with any problems with Windows or Mac. Do you any ideas on this?

Yes, this change would make it easier to support the full potential of the Globalsat devices in many sw and platforms.

The com protocol is at least 75% of the implementation and a hurdle for additional support. File support can then be done in steps, it is easy to get going. No special drivers should be needed with USB mass storage implementation.

If the data in the folders had a relative stable format and the data format description were defined for all devices it would be even easier to support all devices.

Note: Garmin has been using mass storage for some time, they originally implemented xml files. There were however many problems with the data->xml in the devices, so they started to use a binary file format instead. The binary format is more cumbersome to support, but a buggy format is of course worse.

canadien

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »

Excellent idea. I's like mp3 player: always better sale and less problem when it's UMS than proprietary communication protocol.

Helpful for linux users as well?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:02:33 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 07:50:14 pm »

I am not sure that Jeremy was aware of this? ;)
I always send him firmware and sw update.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:02:10 pm by canadien »

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:54:49 am »

we are thinking the new methold as making device as a storage device after plug into PC as long as several folders will be shown on device. Each folders has its partipicular data. It should be support with any problems with Windows or Mac. Do you any ideas on this?

Yes, this change would make it easier to support the full potential of the Globalsat devices in many sw and platforms.

The com protocol is at least 75% of the implementation and a hurdle for additional support. File support can then be done in steps, it is easy to get going. No special drivers should be needed with USB mass storage implementation.

If the data in the folders had a relative stable format and the data format description were defined for all devices it would be even easier to support all devices.

Note: Garmin has been using mass storage for some time, they originally implemented xml files. There were however many problems with the data->xml in the devices, so they started to use a binary file format instead. The binary format is more cumbersome to support, but a buggy format is of course worse.

Hi Gerhard,

We are totally agree what you said. Our engineers told me to use binary file is more stable for coding. So we start to use binary format to coding now.
We hope Globalsat products will be more compatbile and good support in the market.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

TWG_TECH8

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 01:57:34 am »

Excellent idea. I's like mp3 player: always better sale and less problem when it's UMS than proprietary communication protocol.

Helpful for linux users as well?

That's right, MP3!

@ Zingo,

Does Linux support storage device without driver?

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

@ Zingo,

Yes, USB masstorage is suported MTP also
But think of that when in USB Masstorage mode watch need to unmount the filesystem and remount when cable is disconnected but your engineers probably know this, the downside is that if you charge during training you don't want to enter this mode, I don't know if you can detect a "charge" without entering a USB Masstorage mode this is a question for your HW people. If you use MTP you don't have there problems.

gerhard

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:05 am »

@ Zingo,

Yes, USB masstorage is suported MTP also
But think of that when in USB Masstorage mode watch need to unmount the filesystem and remount when cable is disconnected but your engineers probably know this, the downside is that if you charge during training you don't want to enter this mode, I don't know if you can detect a "charge" without entering a USB Masstorage mode this is a question for your HW people. If you use MTP you don't have there problems.

All systems worth mentioning support USB mass storage.

The USB Host protocol can be implemented in smartphones/tablets too (Andoid in 3.1+ has support, not much HW supports it). I am sure that there will be competent smartphone applications (I like Activities Viewer for Android), but in that case I want the main database somewhere else. Just converting the Globalsat binary to well known xml conversion can be implemented in a portable way, so it can be done in smartphones and websites.

..and for charging: If it is OK to connect just the USB power, not data, to get a unit working normally and charge, it would be sufficient for me.
I have such a cable to charge my phone from a USB charger. If I use a standard USB cable, the device charges much slower.
If I do not have to turn on the device when loading data, I do not have to turn it off afterwards. It has happened a couple of times that I have forgotten that. With the 625XT no damage is done due to excellent battery life.

Also: A waterproof USB micro contact would simplify connecting the device.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 19 queries.