USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Using routes planning - how to  (Read 3984 times)

canadien

Using routes planning - how to
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »

Hi,

I just figure out how to use route planning.
Indeed a very nice and handy feature because it offer you to create a route rapidly without entering waypoint one at the time in TGP...
Considering that everyone knows how to add waypoint with googlemap in TGP, I will only explain how to use route.

First make sure you have the latest version of TGP and use the 625xt account because right now it is only available for this device.

Menu -> planning -> routes
Make a search for starting point (address, postal code, position, etc) - this is used just to set the map in center of the window.
It will not appear in your route. You can use the search case as many time as you want to set the desired place on the map at the
center of the window. -THIS STEP IS NOT NECESSARY TO START DRAWING YOUR ROUTE, ONLY THERE TO SET THE CENTER OF THE MAP- Note that you can also drag and zoom the map to desired position.
click CREATE ROUTE
Once and only after you have done that (clicking CREATE ROUTE) you can start creating your own route clicking anywhere in the map. A blue line will show up. So now you can create you route with this tool.
When finished, just click END ROUTE. A window will prompt you to give a name to your route and save it (*** right now
I can't change and erase the default route name??).

--------------------------
Workaround
Add a bezier tool to softer corner.

It seems to work well. But assuming people like Albert will use this feature to create their long road itinerary, I think this feature should be also working with googlemap itinerary engine. Meaning that it would be great to be able to use the road itinerary offer by googlemap as well and tranfer it into a TPG route.

Although the actual feature is great to use for off-road planning.

What you think of that?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:22:18 pm by canadien »

canadien

Re: Using routes planning - how to
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

I plan to make a video to explain that.

Can someone point me a good -free- screenshot recorder for windows xp where you can zoom in/out
during recording?

gerhard

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »

You can use the Waypoints-Globalsat plugins to send routes to devices too.
You can control the name, just do no not have "-" in the name or the route will be unusable in the GH625XT.
(I have uploaded a new Globalsat Device plugin that replaces "-".)
There could be other characters that do not work....

canadien

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:18 am »

Good news. I can say a word about this at the end of the vid.

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »

Hi,

I just figure out how to use route planning.
Indeed a very nice and handy feature because it offer you to create a route rapidly without entering waypoint one at the time in TGP...
Considering that everyone knows how to add waypoint with googlemap in TGP, I will only explain how to use route.

First make sure you have the latest version of TGP.

Menu -> planning -> routes
Make a search for starting point (address, postal code, position, etc) - this is used just to set the map in center of the window.
It will not appear in your route. You can use the search case as many time as you want to set the desired place on the map at the
center of the window. -THIS STEP IS NOT NECESSARY TO START DRAWING YOUR ROUTE, ONLY THERE TO SET THE CENTER OF THE MAP- Note that you can also drag and zoom the map to desired position.
click CREATE ROUTE
Once and only after you have done that (clicking CREATE ROUTE) you can start creating your own route clicking anywhere in the map. A blue line will show up. So now you can create you route with this tool.
When finished, just click END ROUTE. A window will prompt you to give a name to your route and save it (*** right now
I can't change and erase the default route name??).

--------------------------
Workaround
Add a bezier tool to softer corner.

It seems to work well. But assuming people like Albert will use this feature to create their long road itinerary, I think this feature should be also working with googlemap itinerary engine. Meaning that it would be great to be able to use the road itinerary offer by googlemap as well and tranfer it into a TPG route.

Although the actual feature is great to use for off-road planning.

What you think of that?

Hello Canadien,

This is nice but thus not work in GB580 mode try your self. I hope this will be done soon by GS. Did you try to combine them with a track? loaded into the device?
It works in GH625XT, I can see that.

With regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

canadien

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »

Hi Albert,

I tried all that and yes it works well a part the naming of the route. I know it's not yet enable for 580 (you have to log in 625xt account to make route appear in the planning menu), but I am sure it will be ready for the next season. It works like a succession of trackpoints that are being added every time you click on the watch. You can still try using 625xt account.

Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by combining with a track? If you mean following a track/road you have clic on it. The more the road is sinuous, the more points you have to put. Reason why integrating with googlemap itinerary engine or having bezier tool will be handy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:28:18 am by canadien »

albert

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:01:36 am »

Hi Albert,

I tried all that and yes it works well a part the naming of the route. I know it's not yet enable for 580 (you have to log in 625xt account to make route appear in the planning menu), but I am sure it will be ready for the next season. It works like a succession of trackpoints that are being added every time you click on the watch. You can still try using 625xt account.

Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by combining with a track? If you mean following a track/road you have clic on it. The more the road is sinuous, the more points you have to put. Reason why integrating with googlemap itinerary engine or having bezier tool will be handy.

Hi Canadien,

I meant with track the GPX or KML file. If the route (with waypoints) loads as well you have the option with difficult crossings to use the waypoints as extra. This way you can never go wrong.

The GB580P is really good now, there are only two thinks left.
One is (probably for the TX also) to have a option to scale the Map manually for instance with one press (3sec hold) on the top right in the map mode and then you can zoom in or out until you press the top button again for 3 sec to go back to automatic zoom. Why: If you want a shortcut or you lost the track line you are quick be able to find your way back to the route. Second: I proposed a quicker response on the slope, but the quickest is to quick now (inaccurate), so the quick and medium should be calculate a bit longer before it gives a Percentage.

With regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202

gerhard

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »

I found the problem with sending activities to the 625XT. I however see some issues with zingo's 505 (but it has behaved a little erratic lately), so no official release.
I put up a little information on the plugin page:
http://code.google.com/p/globalsat-sporttracks-plugin/wiki/Features#Navigation

canadien

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:45:10 pm »

@Albert, Routes works as it did before so unless I don't know how, you can't combine or mix both route and waypoints. It would be a good idea cause for instance you have a long ride with few night stops (ex: camping/shelter,etc.) that would be show as waypoints on the map along the route. This could be very useful.

It's funny because the animation intro I did for the explanation video goes in that way : you have a route (trace) and some waypoints along the route. I did this because in the video I explain how to create and load route (1st part) and waypoints (second part) on your device with TGP. The animation is not faithful to reality because in reality it is two different things. So I was recently wondering if I should let it like that, and decided I would  ::)

As for buttons short-cut for disabling auto-zoom and quick + medium slope recalculation, they seem to be reasonable requests: you should post them in the GB thread!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:38:29 pm by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »

I found the problem with sending activities to the 625XT.
What are they?

gerhard

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »

I found the problem with sending activities to the 625XT.
What are they?

Short answer: Internal in the plugin, now fixed.

Long answer/Rant:
It is not easy to support Globalsat devices. I have spent quite a lot more time on the ST Globalsat plugins than I had planned. As a result, I have not done much with implementing Globalsat support in GPSBabel as I planned.
To find th problem I more or less had to redesign everything. Reasons:
 * Sending activities are not described for the GH-625XT, so me and Zingo have guessed how to implement this.
 * The Globalsat documentation mixes up protocols and packet formats. It is hard to find the flow of events in many situation.
 * Most devices have different protocol/packets and need special handling. It is hard to find the commonalities in the documentation. Some devices are little endian, other are big endian.
 * Serial to USB adds complexity: Is the device or the COM settings that gives bad packets?

USB mass storage and a file format will simplify adopting Globalsat in other software applications...
Getting users stuck with TGP is not moving sales. The devices deserves to be much bigger successes.

canadien

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:56:16 pm »

Good thing you did your rant and take time to tell all that gerhard. Those things must be brought to light if we want them to be taken in account when products are designed and programmed. And thanks a lot for all the time you invested, you really are an important add-on to the family.

cheers,

canadien
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:42:30 pm by canadien »

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

I agree. It is very appreciate how much effort gerhard have had done with ST globalsat plugin.

I hope that USB mass storage file format will be as standard on GS products in future to make products more compatible with different softwares. It will be good for selling as Gerhard mentioned (if I understood correctly).

Rookie

albert

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »

Hello Gerard,

* Serial to USB adds complexity: Is the device or the COM settings that gives bad packets?
I found out that a com setting above com4 was giving a problem in ST 2.1. I had to go to configuration and set it to 1 or to max 4 manually
I hope the information helps.

With regards,

Albert

gerhard

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:21:02 pm »

I found out that a com setting above com4 was giving a problem in ST 2.1. I had to go to configuration and set it to 1 or to max 4 manually
I hope the information helps.

The problem in writing SW accessing the device is on a much lower level, how to handle timeouts etc.

I have not used the Globalsat device plugin in ST2.1 and do not have the sources, and do not have the history. It seems like the (early?) ST2.1 plugin only supported up to COM4.

The ST3 plugin supports up to COM30. By editing the configuration file, it is possible to add other ports too, without rebuilding.
(I will add a note in the documentation: http://code.google.com/p/globalsat-sporttracks-plugin/wiki/Features)

(sorry canadien, did not mean to hijack the thread. Plan to post an update about route planning using ST though.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 20 queries.