USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My HRM beeps in pace with my pulse.  (Read 3784 times)

AndersBrontosaurus

My HRM beeps in pace with my pulse.
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »

Hello.
Today I discovered that my HRM beeps when I put it on. After checking my pulse I realized that it beat in the same tempo as my pulse. I also realized that if I move the HRM around a little on the chest it loses the steady beat and beeps completely random. I recorded it and it sounds like this......

Watch out with the volume. My voice is louder than the beeps

Anders
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:34:07 pm by AndersBrontosaurus »

gerhard

Re: My HRM beeps in pace with my pulse.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:51:53 pm »

Today I discovered that my HRM beeps when I put it on.

Same for me. My wife forbade me to use the HRM band indoors the first night I tested the 625XT.
It happens after long runs that I eat first and some time later wonder what is ticking...
(This is kind of a signal that even if you are a geek, you should take of the HRM band.)

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

Yes the signal might be some kind of geek-alert.  ;D

But also, since this sound seem to follow my pulse and since it loses rhythm everytime you something physical, could it have something to do with the HRM inaccuracy? Climbing a ladder was enough for the beep...beep...beep to go beep...bi-di-beep..bidididdelideep-beep...beep..bip. so if it can't track my heart properly when moving that would be the problem.

canadien

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »

I always consider it has normal. My old 625M always did beeping. That's why I ask charlyw76 to check
for beep cause in this case it means it works:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4091.msg11836#msg11836

Actually I am a little impressed that your 615 belt, Anders, did not beep?

partyman66

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:32:19 pm »

But also, since this sound seem to follow my pulse and since it loses rhythm everytime you something physical, could it have something to do with the HRM inaccuracy? Climbing a ladder was enough for the beep...beep...beep to go beep...bi-di-beep..bidididdelideep-beep...beep..bip. so if it can't track my heart properly when moving that would be the problem.

I think the reason why the beeping sounds erratic to you when you're moving is that the strap is pressing against your chest differently depending on your body position.  I know that with my strap, I can't hear the beeping when I have it on unless I stick my finger in between the sensor part of the strap and my chest so there is a little space between the sensor and my chest.  When I just let it sit flush against my chest, the beeping is completely inaudible.... presumably because the speaker is situated on the back side of the strap and the sound is probably being completely muffled by my chest.  I've tested the strap quite a bit over the past few days and it seems to be just as accurate when it's beeping as when I can't hear the beeping.  The problem for me with the strap's inaccuracy seems to mostly happen in the upper spectrum of my heartbeat range.... like during a tempo run where I'd normally expect to be at around 180 to 188 BPM, and the strap is saying it's at 199 or higher.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »

The problem for me with the strap's inaccuracy seems to mostly happen in the upper spectrum of my heartbeat range.... like during a tempo run where I'd normally expect to be at around 180 to 188 BPM, and the strap is saying it's at 199 or higher.
I have the same experience with the belt from GS, but with my Polar Wear-Link T31 coded its okay.
In the meantime I have made more than 5 runs with this combination without any problems. Polar watch and GS watch show very similar values. The AVG-values were 1 bpm different maximum.

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

partyman66

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »

The problem for me with the strap's inaccuracy seems to mostly happen in the upper spectrum of my heartbeat range.... like during a tempo run where I'd normally expect to be at around 180 to 188 BPM, and the strap is saying it's at 199 or higher.
I have the same experience with the belt from GS, but with my Polar Wear-Link T31 coded its okay.
In the meantime I have made more than 5 runs with this combination without any problems. Polar watch and GS watch show very similar values. The AVG-values were 1 bpm different maximum.

Best regards

Longjog

LongJog,

Could you post a link to the exact Polar chest strap that you are using with your GH625-XT watch?... perhaps from Amazon.com?  I'd like to try to pick up a chest strap that actually puts out usable data so I can use it in conjunction with my GlobalSat watch, but I'm not sure which one you are using that is compatible with the 625XT watch.

I have an old Oregon-Scientific heartbeat monitor, and that one seems to sync up with my 625-XT watch, but the chest strap from that old monitor is very dated and not that reliable anymore(It often just stops working when I'm in the middle of a workout).

If the Polar band is a suitable and compatible alternative to the one that shipped with the GH625-XT, it's probably worth picking one up.

Is this the one(the type of Polar chest strap that does not have a replaceable battery)?

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-T31-Coded-Transmitter-Belt/dp/B000ARDPPU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329784708&sr=8-2

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:45:19 pm by partyman66 »

Vianney51100

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:02 pm »

Is this the one(the type of Polar chest strap that does not have a replaceable battery)?where I'd normally expect to be at around 180 to 188 BPM, and the strap is saying it's at 199 or higher.

You can change the battery on Polar T-31:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/diy-rescue-polar-hrm-strap-battery-replacement-108158.html
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BugDnn5T-ok
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:40:12 pm by Vianney51100 »

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:42:10 pm »

LongJog,

Could you post a link to the exact Polar chest strap that you are using with your GH625-XT watch?... perhaps from Amazon.com? 
Hi Partyman66,
I am using the Wear-Link, where you can change the battery yourself similar like the original.belt from GS
The belt is not compatible with watches provide the W.I.N.D Technology!
Have a look here:
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-WearLink-Coded-Transmitter/dp/B0007V9XVE

Best regards

Longjog

Germany

partyman66

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »

I am using the Wear-Link, where you can change the battery yourself similar like the original.belt from GS
The belt is not compatible with watches provide the W.I.N.D Technology!

I'm a little confused... So are you saying that the strap in the link you posted, is or is not compatible with a GH-625XT watch?

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »

Hi,
sorry for the confusion.
this belt is compatible with GH-625XT.

There are two types of WearLinks from polar which look very similar.
One is W.I.N.D compatible, the other one not. W.I.N.D is s trademark of Polar. (2,4kHz). The not W.I.N.D compatible WearLink is sending with 5 kHz.

Best regards

Longjog

Germany

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:16 am »

But, but, but...am I the only one who thinks it's strange that it beeps in pace with the pulse?
If I move the hrm around on my chest the bpm on my watch rises. So if I run and the monitor isn't glued to my body it will move and then give a false reading?

Anders

Phil

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:54:55 pm »

But, but, but...am I the only one who thinks it's strange that it beeps in pace with the pulse?
If I move the hrm around on my chest the bpm on my watch rises. So if I run and the monitor isn't glued to my body it will move and then give a false reading?

Anders

I believe the sound is actually the pulse being transmitted from the belt to the watch, since the frequency used (5KHz) is perfectly audible by human ear.
Probably these belts are very simple and just capture and send electrical pulses that are then filtered by software in the watch.

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:20 am »

I believe the sound is actually the pulse being transmitted from the belt to the watch, since the frequency used (5KHz) is perfectly audible by human ear.
Probably these belts are very simple and just capture and send electrical pulses that are then filtered by software in the watch.
Yes. And since the pulse/beep change in tempo when I move the HRM, why can't that be the problem with the false readings we all suffer from?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »

Hello Anders,

Can you please try to follow the guide that I sent you via email? Check to see if that resolve the problem.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 19 queries.