USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2598 times)

gerhard

Windows 8
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:39:38 am »

I tried Windows 8 Consumer Preview
Some observations with Globalsat and GH-625XT
There is still some time to the official launch, but the sooner the version on the CD works, the better for new users.
The PC normally has Win Vista-32 English, I installed Win 8-64 English

SportTracks 3.1 with plugins
Had to enable .NET 3.5 in Windows features to get .NET 2.0
Other than that no problems

Training Gym Pro 1.6.8
(.NET required too?)
When starting, the SplashScreen is transparant for the text, looks strange
At first startup, the app works OK, could import activities
The second start gave exceptions of various kind. To get around it, I had to add Full Control to files in the Program Files directory:
  Data/
  Preference/
  *.html
  TempTrack.xml
  *.ini
  errFile.log
These files were in Vista stored in "VirtualStore" - Windows automatically redirected users from writing there, all User data should be stored in the user directory. This could be a bug in Win8, but it is not impossible that MS blocks this feature completely too in the final version.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

Hello gerhard,

Thanks for sharing your observations and posting that workaround! This would help other end-users on dealing with that exception message.

Again, thanks.

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »

Hello Gerhard,

The various exceptions comes from the 64 bit system, if you put the 1.6.8. in a different folder than it wants to install that problem will go.
It is a authority problem.

With regards,

Albert
GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »

Hello Albert,

Thanks for that input. Hope it helps other forum members as well. Thanks.

gerhard

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:18 pm »

I am not sure what I did with the Win8 Consumer Preview, but for Win8 release I had to use the following driver:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewRedirect.aspx?updateid=69777506-6a05-42ee-966c-cd600542d4c6

Actually the same as I used in Win8 CP, do not recall what I did then.

Normal driver could not be installed, not signed (cannot be disabled).

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

Hello gerhard,

Thanks for the info and providing the link.

So, when you plugged in the GB-580 to a Windows 8 computer, it was able to recognize the device without any problems?

You mentioned that normal driver could not be installed, are you referring to the driver that was provided in the website/came with the device?
Since we don't have a Windows 8 computer around here, we're not able to test whether the GB-580 would be able to work with it.

gerhard

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »

So, when you plugged in the GB-580 to a Windows 8 computer, it was able to recognize the device without any problems?
No

You mentioned that normal driver could not be installed, are you referring to the driver that was provided in the website/came with the device?
Since we don't have a Windows 8 computer around here, we're not able to test whether the GB-580 would be able to work with it.
I could not install the Globalsat driver on CD or downloaded from Blobalsat as it was "unsigned".
The driver I linked to worked fine.

Another issue is that TGP was installed as administrator, so the data is not saved in the user VirtualStore, below the user account.
Users must have admin rights to use TGP.
The problem should be similar in Win7 (my old PC did have XP/Vista, cannot compare).

The Win8 compatibility is OK for me (I can push solutions), but non-tech users may have a problem.
OS Upgrades in cooperate environment are not so easy, also if you need to make tests...

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »

I could not install the Globalsat driver on CD or downloaded from Blobalsat as it was "unsigned".
The driver I linked to worked fine.
Understood. Since the that driver worked fine, perhaps we can suggest that link. However, if it's not fully tested by us and our engineers, we can't really recommend it.
Another issue is that TGP was installed as administrator, so the data is not saved in the user VirtualStore, below the user account.
Users must have admin rights to use TGP.
The problem should be similar in Win7 (my old PC did have XP/Vista, cannot compare).
Yes, they do need to login as an administrator or install it with admin rights to be able to install the Training Gym Pro properly.
Also, since we're going to have a Cloud version of the TGP, then, there would be no issues with admin rights.
The Win8 compatibility is OK for me (I can push solutions), but non-tech users may have a problem.
OS Upgrades in cooperate environment are not so easy, also if you need to make tests...
Please check your email for my response about this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 19 queries.