USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: instant pace in gh-625xt  (Read 8228 times)

WincenT

• Regular Members
instant pace in gh-625xt
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:57:58 am »

I am Italian and I greet all.
I apologize for my English and if the arguments have already been treated.
I had been attracted by garmin 910xt (before discovering 625xt), for the functions: vibration, swimming, battery life, and probably if it had not the famous problem of "instant pace" unstable, I'd already bought.
Today I saw a running workout done with my friend who owns the 910xt, and I also had confirmation that the garmin 910xt is not very accurate captured gps-track.
So now I'm not sure whether to buy a GH-625XT or wait for gh-595.
How accurate is the instant pace in 625xt?
The GH-595 will have advanced features for swimming?
And when the 595 will be released?
If I purchase it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I5786O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1NKCEX1KZICS0 and in case of problems as I can avail of the guarantee in Italy?
Thanks in advance.

canadien

Re: instant pace in gh-625xt
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »

Hi WincenT,

Unless the project has changed after we first heard of it on the forum, the gh-595 won't have any accelerometers for swimming.

But It will be 5 ATM I think.

I am really satisfy with instant speed with 625xt. I would like to hear others as well on that...

For official retail store and valid warranty please see the chart in the USA:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-34-usa.aspx

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:08:25 am »

I am really satisfy with instant speed with 625xt. I would like to hear others as well on that...
Thanks for your answer, and I would like to hear it too....

Thanks to your suggestion, I found this: https://www.starlite-intl.com/Detail.asp?pid=3080
Do you think it is safe, the price seems unusually low ??? or I'm wrong?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:48:06 am by canadien »

canadien

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:34 am »

Thanks to your suggestion, I found this: https://www.starlite-intl.com/Detail.asp?pid=3080

It seems a good deal for sure 8) 8) 8) but don't know them. Write to usglbalsat if you want to know more but if it's in the chart then it's probably safe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:56:41 am by canadien »

Rookie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:04:47 pm »

If you talk about pace, I think it is it is not real instant pace. It is actually calculated avg pace of last few minutes (I don't exactly know how long time). So, this means that if your pace change very quicly, you can't see change from watch right away, it comes after short delay.

But anyway, I'm very satisfied about pace display. It is much better than very nervous pace display what they usually is on GPS watch without filtering it this way.

Rookie

partyman66

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »

If you talk about pace, I think it is it is not real instant pace. It is actually calculated avg pace of last few minutes (I don't exactly know how long time). So, this means that if your pace change very quicly, you can't see change from watch right away, it comes after short delay.

But anyway, I'm very satisfied about pace display. It is much better than very nervous pace display what they usually is on GPS watch without filtering it this way.

Rookie

This is correct.  The pace display on the GH625-XT is not perfectly instant as of your exact speed at any one moment, because a perfectly "instant" pace would be very erratic and jump around all over the place, making it almost unusable.  The "Current Pace" is more of an weighted average pace over the last 2 to 3 minutes (or possibly the last 60 to 90 data points).  Personally, I would prefer to see the "Current Pace" field have a much shorter range of scope for the calculation of the average... something like only using the last 15 data points to calculate it, or the last 30 seconds.  I noticed that if I stop during a run, the average pace keeps going up while I'm stopped, and then takes like another 3 minutes of running for it to get back to the accurate current pace.

Despite that.... the Average Pace is pretty accurate if you're not going to be wildly varying your pace all over the place, and intend to use it for a distance run with a relatively steady pace.  On the other hand, if you plan on doing 1 minute interval runs where you are doing almost a dead sprint during the interval portion, and then a very slow pace for the next minute, and back to a sprint... your "current pace" will be extremely inaccurate and will mostly fall somewhere in the middle of your dead-sprint and slow-pace rate.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:57:36 pm by partyman66 »

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42:10 am »

Thanks to all.
So you can't see the true instant pace (current speed)?
If the problem is due to the imprecision of the GPS system in general, I think that it should be able to choose which interval can be applied to the smoothing of the data for instantaneous step. Personally I'd choose 4-8 seconds. If not mistaken other gps watch like the Timex Trainer Run with SiRFstar IV does it.

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:35 am »

Sorry, but are "instant speed" and "instant pace" the same thing?  :-[
First is expressed in km/h and the other in an inverse manner min for km, is right?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »

Thanks for your answer, and I would like to hear it too....

Hello WincenT,

If you want to purchase directly from one of our authorized resellers, please take a look at this site: http://www.semsons.com/glghgswasivh.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

Hello WincenT,

If you want to purchase directly from one of our authorized resellers, please take a look at this site: http://www.semsons.com/glghgswasivh.html

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
I contacted starlite-intl.com on April 24 to find out, if they send in Italy but had no answer yet.
The Starlite site is present in the USGlobalSat page: https://www.usglobalsat.com/s-156-resellers.aspx.
However, from a few days I'm testing a Kalenji CW 700, which should be a clone GlobalSat revisited, in fact when I try to import the data using the SportTracks Globalsat-plugin, it is initially recognized as a GH-505, but if I try to import the data from watch, the plug-in returns an error.
For a few more days I'll try this watch, for now the impression is not bad, although it hasn't everything I want.
I would like above all a more sensitive and accurate GPS.  :-\

canadien

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:34:49 am »

Kalenji = Sirf Star 3, 625xt = Sirf Star 4

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:42:10 am »

Kalenji = Sirf Star 3, 625xt = Sirf Star 4

The SirfStar 4 should be better in many ways, but I'm beginning to have more doubts about it. ???
I ask myself, why all the watches that carry it have trouble detecting instantaneous pace without marked fluctuations.
Garmin 910xt, Timex Trainer Run despite the smoothing of the data, and the 625xt does not display a true instant pace. :(
The only one I have not investigated is the Nike+
Maybe the software are not mature.......
The doubt is legitimate....or not?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:02:36 am by WincenT »

canadien

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:55:27 am »

I know my paces well and under a clear sky, 625xt does show instant pace.

gerhard

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 04:43:58 pm »

The GH-625XT tracks the position on the map more accurately than a GF-305.
(I have compared the devices simultaneously on a number of occasions.)
The hardware in the 625XT is very good.

Instant pace is occasionally a little more off in the 625XT. I would describe it as the averaging algorithms differs a little. I do not see this as a problem, GPS will never show the instant pace perfectly, I know the pace better myself and use the average since last lap. The average for last kilometer in the GH-625M beta firmware was a really useful feature.

In my view, the distance calculation is a bigger issue. The device calculation works similar to a friend's GF-310XT, which overestimates distances. For post-processing (for instance in SportTracks), the situation is similar, at least for GH-625XT to GF-305.
This should be able to be addressed in the firmware. Globalsat has supported the 625M firmware for a long time.

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »

Do you think it would be feasible and satisfactory planning of workouts based on repeated intervals, alternating several times eg. 2km at a fast pace, and 1km at a slow pace, possibly by setting alarms when exceeding or coming off of 10 sec/km? :D
or better 5 sec/km? ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 20 queries.