USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: training gym export/save to tcx format  (Read 6663 times)

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
training gym export/save to tcx format
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »

Is it planned to add export/save to tcx format? I use Strava a lot and it's the main format that it supports.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get GB-580P data including Speed, Altitude,HR, Cadence, Power into Strava?

Thanks.

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
Re: training gym export/save to tcx format
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »

To answer my own question, Sport Tracks will import from Globalsat devices and export to .tcx with the right plugins. It would still be cool if training gym could export to .tcx.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:01:22 pm »

Hello foo_fighter,

Can you please provide definition/links to a .tcx format? Please provide necessary details so we could get a better understanding of what a tcx format is.

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »

tcx is an XML format, like gpx, but it supports heartrate, cadence power and other things. I believe it was created by garmin, but many sites like strava, motion based/garmin connect, etc use it for importing.

http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/about-gpx-and-tcx-file-formats.html

http://developer.garmin.com/schemas/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:55:29 pm by foo_fighter »

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:25 am »

Based on our engineers, the GPX/KML are common file formats compared to TCX. Unfortunately, we're unable to support this format since it was created by Garmin. In other words, the .tcx is a proprietary format, which is difficult to be included in the TGP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:58:42 am »

While TCX may have been originated by Garmin, it is now one of the most popular formats. I don't believe it is restricted in usage by Garmin. Strava can export it as well as tcx converter, sport tracks, gps babel, gps visualizer and many others. The second link provides all the details to support it including the XML Schema and many example files.

If you do not support TCX, can you at least support a format that outputs cadence,heartrate,power,etc? Currently none of the formats you output contain that data. GPX only contains heatrate. Then at least one could convert it to tcx with one of the other tools, albeit with a bunch of  extra steps.

Based on our engineers, the GPX/KML are common file formats compared to TCX. Unfortunately, we're unable to support this format since it was created by Garmin. In other words, the .tcx is a proprietary format, which is difficult to be included in the TGP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »

Since we're unable to support the tcx format, what other file formats do you have in mind that outputs cadence, heartrate, power, etc.? Any ideas or suggestions?

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »

Well, that's sort of the problem. None of the other file formats, except for the generic csv were really built to support cadence/heartrate/power.
TCX really is the best format. Is it a legal issue? Even google my tracks outputs TCX.

Some are stuffing the data in gpx, like you've done with heartrate, but I'm not sure if that is consistent/universal.

Since we're unable to support the tcx format, what other file formats do you have in mind that outputs cadence, heartrate, power, etc.? Any ideas or suggestions?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »

In order to support the .tcx format, I think we might have to contact Garmin for permission or pay some licensing fees. I'm not clearly sure about the process.

However, I can check with our engineers to see if we can include the other items, cadence and power, in the .gpx format.

vmiceli

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:31 pm »

You guys need to figure out a way to make power data available to third parties applications.

This unit is appealing to serious cycling folks and they would analyze the logged data afterward in industry standard applications like WKO+/trainingpeaks or goldencheetah. So I see two possible solutions:

1) adopt tcx (it seems free as many free applications can generate tcx files)
2) come up with a new file format (gbx  ;) ) and have some third party application convert it to tcx.

If this is not implemented then the edge 500 will remain more valuable even if it is more expensive. I think that half of the usage of these devices happens after a ride on the PC (Strava, training couch, WKO+, Goldenchetah)

I have an edge 500 and I would buy this unit for my other bike if I could easily upload the data to my analysis software.

V.

foo_fighter

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »

Well, a third possible solution is to abandon training gym pro and partner with sport tracks and bundle that with the 580P. Then put your software efforts into maintaining and enhancing the globalsat/580p plugin(with firmware updates and track uploading for example) and adding more plugins/features.

You guys need to figure out a way to make power data available to third parties applications.

This unit is appealing to serious cycling folks and they would analyze the logged data afterward in industry standard applications like WKO+/trainingpeaks or goldencheetah. So I see two possible solutions:

1) adopt tcx (it seems free as many free applications can generate tcx files)
2) come up with a new file format (gbx  ;) ) and have some third party application convert it to tcx.

If this is not implemented then the edge 500 will remain more valuable even if it is more expensive. I think that half of the usage of these devices happens after a ride on the PC (Strava, training couch, WKO+, Goldenchetah)

I have an edge 500 and I would buy this unit for my other bike if I could easily upload the data to my analysis software.

V.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:31:53 pm »

Hello vmiceli,

Thank you for sharing your input and suggestions. Do you have some ideas on any existing file formats that support heartrate, cadence, speed, and power? Any recommendations?

Hello foofighter,

Our engineers are looking into this as we speak and wondering if any available file formats could include cadence, speed, and power.

And yes, we continually keep on improving and developing our devices' firmware, as well as the software, in order to provide an overall satisfactory products and program.

vmiceli

• Regular Members
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:32 am »

The only existing file formats I know of are FIT, TCX and CSV.  I'm not aware of any copyright restriction on TCX so you could easily embrace it.

Worse case just use a csv (comma delimited) i.e. plain text with comma delimited values. This should be easily imported by other applications or converted to tcx.

Vincenzo

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »

Got it. And, thanks for the info.

How about the FIT? Can you please provide more details about that?

vmiceli

• Regular Members
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:10 pm »

FIT would be the best as it is the most modern of them and widely used. Check this out:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/products/fit-sdk

If you need people to test file formats just let me know...

Regards

Vincenzo

Got it. And, thanks for the info.

How about the FIT? Can you please provide more details about that?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 20 queries.