Author Topic: Connecting a BU-355 to a VHF (marine) radio and AIS reciever?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
Hi all, my first post so please excuse any stupid questions! 
I have a small boat and I need to input GPS data to my Standard Horizon VHF radio so it can give me a position fix, when required, and also GPS data into an AIS receiver (NASA AIS Radar) which is a bit of kit that tracks commercial vessels and warns of collisions.

Both the VHF (2 wires - GPS output and GPS input) and the AIS (1 wire - GPS input) have bare wire connections. 

I was hoping that the BU-355 would be a suitable device.  I have seen the pinout and I can supply 5V but I am unsure about the other connections?

Can anyone confirm that the BU-355 will do the job before I buy one?  The VHF and AIS Gps input needs to be MNEA 0183 RMC and the AIS specifies that the GPS input should float around 2V - whatever that means!

Hope I am making sense...

Any comments or advice is welcome..

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
Re: Connecting a BU-355 to a VHF (marine) radio and AIS reciever?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
ps - no idea how many stars on the US flag...  had to google it..... bit tricky for us Brits!

Offline GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »
Do you mean the BR-355? If so, please refer to this forum posting (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0) to give you some ideas on how to make it possibly work.

Regarding the forum questions, refer here for more details: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3870.0

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:51 am »
Thanks for the information.  Just wonder if you know if the BR-355 GPS output "floats" around 2V?
It looks like it will do the job - would you agree?
Thanks again
John

Offline GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
What do you mean by the output "floats" around 2V? Can you please explain further?

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:56 am »
Hi, It is a quote from the instruction manual - I believe it means that it requires approximately  a 2V input to work properly.  So I was asking if the GPS output from the BR-355 would be suitable ie is the output about 2V - give or take a bit...

Thanks again - hope that makes sense? 
John

Offline GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:38:30 pm »
Apparently, the The BR-355 requires 5VDC. You can also see the input voltage in the pinout diagram here (http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.msg9421#msg9421).

Can you please provide a link to that instruction manual where you found that it "floats" around 2V? Or, perhaps include a screenshot so we could get it corrected.

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:55 am »
No sorry - We are talking about the output from the 355...  the reference to the 2V is in relation to the equipment I am attaching it to.  So I need to know if the GPS output signal from the 355 is about 2V.

Thanks

Offline GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:29:48 am »
Sorry for the late response. Per our engineers, the BR-355 output is 3.3V~5V and does not support 2V.

Offline farmerboy

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 12:50:57 pm »
Thankyou so much for all your help. Much appreciated.  I have just wired it up and it works a treat!  I am delighted.  It acquires the satellites super fast and is now driving both the VHF GPS and the AIS GPS - a good result! 
I ended up using a phone charger for the power supply and just cut off the plug on the 355 to access the bare wires.
Thanks again.

John

Offline GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »
Good to hear that it works!

And, also thanks for updating us about your setup process and test results. Again, thanks.

Just let me know if you have any questions.