USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about versions  (Read 836 times)

alexq

A question about versions
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:26:29 am »

Hello,
I recently discovered this product and find it very interesting but I'm little confused about different versions available on the market. I am from Europe so I'm looking at the expansys.co.uk.
http://www.expansys.com/globalsat-gb-580p-cycling-computer-230468/

The link and packet contents mentions 580P but on title and description is 580B, which has less options. I want to know what is the actually product on that page.

I would also like to know if one of the models(probably 580P?) will fit my needs as I need some for of navigation. I understand there are 2 "modes": track backing and waypoints.
1. For trackback, can you upload to the device any GPX file, eg from bikemap.net and he will give you indications? Are there any restrictions on the GPX file to upload like size or maximum number of points? How does navigation work? Because the files can be created by logging positions every second.
2. Waypoints: this one seems more clear to me. Basically you create a route in some mapping software(which one works?) with of a limited number of waypoints(100 I found?) and an arrow will point to the next one. In this case, it depends on me to place the points strategically so I don't go off the route.

As a side note, I don't plan to use it specifically for navigation, like a car GPS. Most of the routes I follow are pretty straight but there are some junctions with other routes or roads or easy to miss tight turns. I don't need mapping because I take a map of the region with me every time. But it's not very handy to use it at every crossroad. Probably using the second functions, of waypoints, will be enough for me, placing one only at the junctions where I have to change directions. But I need to make sure I got the things correctly.

Another questions, when using the 2 mentioned navigation screens, can you display something else, like current speed or distance?

Thank you for your time.

albert

• this product gives value for money
Re: A question about versions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:31:40 pm »

Hello Alexq,

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/globalsat-gps-bike-computer-gb580.php did a test and with old FW it came out very good.
Here is a site where you can buy the device cheap and you can trust them.http://www.gpssport.eu/
Now your questions:
1.  Trackback is using tracks (GPX,KML,etc.) you can use any, Sporttracks 3.1 is the best for loading in GPX and TGPro1.6.10 for KML
2. how you use Trackback see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzDi6rvRNc
3. if you create a track, Gpsies.com or bikeroutetoaster.com, it is quick and easy. The device makes automatically a sort of waypoints Smart Track Points (STP). there are 200 STP available. It makes it If the track is bending more than 15 degree, but don't forget the max. is 200 STP, so more than 100km track is best to make 2 tracks. TRACKS go in [ACTIVITY]
4. Waypoints is what you already sad, it is not very handy. Waypoints go in [NAVIGATION]
5. The device with STP is the best you can get, better than Garmin or Bryton, I did a tour through whole France (100 cols) only with this navigation, excellent.

I would go for the full version, with Speed and Cadence sensor, Speed; because under trees ore mountains you do get strange readings from all GPS. Cadence because it is a fine training tool.

With regards,

Albert 

GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:36 am »

Dear Albert

Thank you for your help :)

Have a nice day ^^

Best Regards,
Angela

alexq

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:21:53 am »

Thanks for the detailed answer Albert.
The device seems to pack a lot of features.
Have a great day
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 19 queries.