USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing BU-353 on Vista machine w/o CD drive  (Read 682 times)

CapnJonas

Installing BU-353 on Vista machine w/o CD drive
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:37 am »

I use the BU-353 for navigation.  It performed beautifully on my old Itronix, which had a CD drive.  I bought a newer XR-1 Vista machine without a CD.  When I download the driver package from the net and try to load it I get a message that it could not load (or maybe copy) an .INF file.  I have the old CD and an external drive.  What do you recommend?

Thanks.. Captain John   

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Installing BU-353 on Vista machine w/o CD drive
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »

First, we need to confirm whether you have the driver installed or not, please follow the instructions below:

To check if you have it installed, do this by going to Control Panel > Programs. Scroll down the list of the programs and verify if you see the PL2303 USB-to-Serial. If it's installed, highlight the said program and click Uninstall. Once the driver is removed, turn off your computer and wait for a few minutes. Power up your computer and download this driver: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_pl2303_usb_driver.zip). Make sure to extract the file first before installing the driver.

If the driver is not in the list of Programs, just directly download the driver.

Plug in the device and check the Device Manager. You can do this by right-clicking on Computer > Manage > Computer Management > System Tools > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > Prolific to USB Serial Comm Port (COMXX).

Now, download a testing utility called GPSInfo: (http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/vista_64bit_gps_info_utility.zip). Open it up and extract it. Bring your computer outside where there is clear access to the sky and there are no tall buildings or trees around that area. Click on the GPSInfo program, select the correct com port, and choose the appropriate baud rate. Press 'Start GPS'. You should see some scrolling data below. Also, check if the red light is blinking.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:07:51 pm by USG_TECH10 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 18 queries.