USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First impression with my GB-580  (Read 2464 times)

korivo

• Regular Members
First impression with my GB-580
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:52:21 am »

Hi,
I was hesitating between buying the Garmin Edge 500 and the GB-580P.
I finally went for my budget and bought it on on Amazon for $122, free shipping  :)
For me, the sole purpose of this GPS is mountain biking.

So, I went for a ride this weekend, here is my first impression...

The GPS had a hard time with speed, even thought i wasn't moving, the GPS always had me at a speed of 0.1-0.5 km/h.
I had full GPS signal.
Is it possible to have a better fix that that ?

Altitude didn't seem accurate also.

Cadence had spikes that were not accurate.

At the end of my ride, I wanted to stop tracking, but I created a unwanted lap, how can I delete that ?

I installed the software (Training gym pro I think), but it doesn't allow me to do much.  I need to export my ride as GPX and it doesn't seem to do that.  I read that SportsTrack can work fine with this GPS, but do I really need to pay $35 to use my GPS ?

Where can I buy extra bike mount ?  The mount will most likely break on a good crash, so I would like to have some spare parts in my backpack.

The instructions manual is quite slim for all the feature that the GPS can do, can you direct me to a better place that explain in great depth the potential this device ?

I have a Cannondale RZ-one 2011.
So i tried to set the speed sensor low on my Lefty.
Doing this way, the magnet is on the disc brake.
After riding for 5 minutes, I had cover about 1500 km!! :)
I think that the sensor didnt like the fact the magnet rotation was to close to the sensor, so I disable the sensor for the rest of my ride.
So I have to setup the speed sensor on the rear wheel.
Anybody has it setup there and does/should it function correctly ?

I am running firmware 1.02.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post.

Mat

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: First impression with my GB-580
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Please see my response below:

The GPS had a hard time with speed, even thought i wasn't moving, the GPS always had me at a speed of 0.1-0.5 km/h.
I had full GPS signal.
What is the testing environment?
Are you surrounded by any tall trees or buildings?
Also, do you have the Speed sensor setup properly? You can refer to its Quick Start Guide starting on page 20:

What inaccurate values does it give you for Altitude?

Regarding spikes Cadence, what would be the range of inaccurate values?

At the end of my ride, I wanted to stop tracking, but I created a unwanted lap, how can I delete that ?
Per our engineers, you would not be able to delete a lap, but rather the whole data.

I installed the software (Training gym pro I think), but it doesn't allow me to do much.  I need to export my ride as GPX and it doesn't seem to do that.  I read that SportsTrack can work fine with this GPS, but do I really need to pay $35 to use my GPS ?
What is the version of the Training Gym Pro that you have installed. The latest one that we have is v1.6.8. You can download this version from here: http://www.gs-sport.com/globalsat_admin/new_file_download.php?Pact=FileDownLoad&Pval=4263
To be able to save a file to GPX format, select the trackpoints that you want to save. Then, go to File > Save. The Save As window would come up. Choose GPX Files (*.gpx) in the Save as type field.

Where can I buy extra bike mount?  The mount will most likely break on a good crash, so I would like to have some spare parts in my backpack.
Please contact GS-Sport Service Center for the bike mounts: http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

The instructions manual is quite slim for all the feature that the GPS can do, can you direct me to a better place that explain in great depth the potential this device?
For other supporting documentations, please click on the links below:
http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-135-gb-580-support.aspx
http://www.gs-sport.com/pro_dl.php?en_product_id=10&en_product_cnt_id=33

I think that the sensor didnt like the fact the magnet rotation was to close to the sensor, so I disable the sensor for the rest of my ride.
So I have to setup the speed sensor on the rear wheel. Anybody has it setup there and does/should it function correctly?
Please refer above on how to setup the speed sensor properly with the Quick Start Guide.
By the way, what is the Cannondale RZ-one 2011? Can you please provide some specs/datasheet about it?

I am running firmware 1.02.
The latest firmware version that we have is F-GGB-2O-1204131(V1.03). To update to this version, please register your product first and generate a support ticket. Please check your email for the instructions.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:58:22 am by USG_TECH10 »

Rando

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:49 pm »

I think is very important for users to be able to purchase accessories (extra mounts, HRM straps, extra sensors, etc) from more than one place or at least make it very easy with online ordering where I don't have to wait for a response and quote. Perhaps the same vendors who sell the unit can sell the accessories/parts?

Also I read on the forum there was a wrist strap but no plans to include it in the package or offer it as an accessory. This wrist strap would be a great differentiator between the GB-580 and its competitors and probably would tip the scale in favor of the GB-580 for many. I bet many users not only cycle but also participate in other activities where they could wear this GPS on their wrist, I do. If I can buy a single GPS for most of my needs ...

korivo

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »

Sorry about my late reply, but I wanted to have another at it before replying

I had full GPS signal.

What is the testing environment?
Are you surrounded by any tall trees or buildings?
Also, do you have the Speed sensor setup properly? You can refer to its Quick Start Guide starting on page 20:
Yes, I am only using when I am mountain biking, so always around tall trees.

What inaccurate values does it give you for Altitude?
After a second ride, Altitude seems to be accurate now.

Regarding spikes Cadence, what would be the range of inaccurate values?
After a second ride, Cadence seems to be accurate now.

Per our engineers, you would not be able to delete a lap, but rather the whole data.
This seems weird to me... I should be able to delete a lap that I created by mistake.

What is the version of the Training Gym Pro that you have installed. The latest one that we have is v1.6.8. You can download this version from here: http://www.gs-sport.com/globalsat_admin/new_file_download.php?Pact=FileDownLoad&Pval=4263
To be able to save a file to GPX format, select the trackpoints that you want to save. Then, go to File > Save. The Save As window would come up. Choose GPX Files (*.gpx) in the Save as type field.
Nice that worked, thanks!

So I have to setup the speed sensor on the rear wheel. Anybody has it setup there and does/should it function correctly?

Please refer above on how to setup the speed sensor properly with the Quick Start Guide.
By the way, what is the Cannondale RZ-one 2011? Can you please provide some specs/datasheet about it?
See picture below
About my bike, first picture shows how its impossible to mount it on the front wheel.
Second shows where i mount it on the backwheel.
Looks like the speed sensor is working fine where it is now.
Anybody had issue with this setup ?

The link http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/ does not work.
Is this where I could order extra bike mount ?

In the Page setting, I should be able to set the Total combine KM of all my rides and the time of day.
Is this possible ?

I should also be able to delete extra Page that I dont need, is this possible ?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:19:54 pm by korivo »

canadien

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »

Korivo, lap deletion is not something people really look as a feature into the device itself. Rather something you do when analysing your data. I don't think "mislaping" is very common.

But I think Sporttracks allow to remove and edit lap.

Btw, you can set lap automatically by distance.

korivo

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »

Deleting a lap shouldn't be consider as a "new feature"
If a feature allows to create something, it should, by design, allow a delete.
Now i'm stock with 4 laps of about 4 sec. each, as I wasn't sure how to stop my activity at the end of my ride.

Lapping is not something I think I will us at all, my mountain bike rides are not design around loops.

canadien

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:25:56 am »

If a feature allows to create something, it should, by design, allow a delete.

Not necesserly, I don't agree. Can you delete lap on your normal (ex: timex) sport watch?

However I do agree that the buttons pattern is not very userfriendly when you are not accustom to it.

Why don't you use sportracks and edit your ride making it stop at the first lap error.

It should be enough for you as you said you won't use lap in the future.

korivo

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

Not necesserly, I don't agree. Can you delete lap on your normal (ex: timex) sport watch?

The argument of "if  the competition doesn't do it, then why should we" doesn't really hold ground here, I think.
I am stuck with a whole bunch of lap that clutter my Activity, that's it.
I would like to have the ability to remove it from the device.
But, I don't want to get an argument over this tough, so let's agree to disagree :)

My main question was more about time :
- adding the dayTime in the Page info.
- adding total Km in the Page info.
- Deleting extra page that I dont need.

Overall, I am super-stoked about this device, and it kick the $^$%%$^ of the my previous CatEye.
I am glad that I made this purchase!

canadien

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »

Ok I thought we were discussing on the fact that it is not available right now.

But you can always post as a feature request from you for upcoming firmware update as well as your others requests.

For others requests I am 100% with you for all gs-sport devices.

It all been asked long time ago but it's good to remind:

- adding the dayTime in the Page info.  --- not only on the black bar but as a user setting page option--
- adding total Km in the Page info.   --- Adding daily activity --- but I think it would mean too much info (old engineer answer)
- Deleting extra page that I dont need. +1

Glad you like your GB580  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:42:37 pm by canadien »

albert

• this product gives value for money
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:55:45 pm »

Hello Korivo,
I am stuck with a whole bunch of lap that clutter my Activity, that's it.
I would like to have the ability to remove it from the device.
You can delete the laps in TGPro click with right mouse in left screen and those delete
If you not standing still it will create a lap, bad news, but this is the way it works now.
It is important to delete activities from the device often to avoid memory problems, there is also no need to keep them there.

My main question was more about time :
- adding the dayTime in the Page info.
- adding total Km in the Page info.
- Deleting extra page that I dont need.
1e one OK, but it is also on the clock and map
2e total is a bit dangerous because you could lose it all if you battery is running out, but it should count it in TGPro ( my wish as well for all totals)
3e better to give on how many user pages we want to fill in configuration, I use all 4 because I am using the 3 first fields with Cadence, speed and HR in all.

With regards,

Albert

GH-625M, Firmware: F-GGH-2A-1012103, GB580P version 2.0 F-GGB-21402241.GHX,  GH 625XT, GH 561, Training Gym Pro V1.7.10 / Sport Tracks (ST)2.1.3478/ST3.1.5202
Biker, minimum 8000 km a Year.

korivo

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:51 pm »

Yeah, It is true that i will need to delete Activities at one point.
I didn't realize that I will need to do that, so deleting a lap would not be useful at all, point taken canadian!

About the Total KM, having it in SportsTrack suite my needs since this is where I will store all my outing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 18 queries.