USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Long Does It Take You Guys To Acquire Satellites?  (Read 2122 times)

partyman66

How Long Does It Take You Guys To Acquire Satellites?
« on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »

I was just curious as to how long it takes you guys to acquire satellites when you go to use your GH625-XT watch?

I have mine set to use WAAS/EGNOS, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I've noticed that my watch seemed to grab satellites pretty quickly the first few times I used it, but since then it's been much slower.  Lately, it will often take 2 to 3 minutes to get a satellite fix.  It usually gets to 3/4 for satellite fixes rather quickly (either instantaneously or within 10 seconds), then will go back to 0/4 and then back to 3/4, and eventually get 4/4 (at which point it's content and functional as a GPS device) and brings me to my main screen with my default 4 gauges displayed.

I swear that it seems to be slower since updating the firmware to the latest version, but haven't actually verified this.  Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?

canadien

Re: How Long Does It Take You Guys To Acquire Satellites?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:58 pm »

Partyman, do you reset GPS from time to time?

partyman66

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:36 pm »

Partyman, do you reset GPS from time to time?

I thought I remembered either reading something about there being an option to reset the satellites so it wouldn't try to reuse the same ones that it remembered from previous sessions, or actually seeing that option in one of the watch menus while looking through them, but I wasn't able to find any documentation on that feature in the users guide and didn't see that option in any of the menus from the current firmware.

How exactly do you do this Satellite/GPS memory reset?

canadien

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:08 pm »

To reset gps ephemeris, you can do so after waiting few minutes of unfixed satellite (a message will appear offering you to reset them). I remember to see the option of resetting GPS on other device in configuration menu, but I just check and there is no such option on 625xt. Unless I did not saw it...?

partyman66

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »

To reset gps ephemeris, you can do so after waiting few minutes of unfixed satellite (a message will appear offering you to reset them). I remember to see the option of resetting GPS on other device in configuration menu, but I just check and there is no such option on 625xt. Unless I did not saw it...?

I swear to you that I saw this option on an earlier firmware version.... I remember seeing it somewhere!  There is no mention of it in the owners manual though.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:18:29 am »

Hi,
press UP + PG + PWR to switch device on and go to the Test-Mode Menu. Select GPS-Test -> Coldstart.

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

partyman66

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »

I should probably specify that I have WAAS/EGNOS turned on in my watch.  It gets 3/4 satellites within 4 or 5 second, but it seems to take me about 1 to 4 minutes to get the 4+ satellites necessary for WAAS/EGNOS to work.  I think if I turned that off, I would sync up within a few seconds since I always get at 3 satellites almost right off the bat.

I'm not sure why that 4th Satellite takes so long to acquire, when the first 3 are super fast.  Is it possible that the firmware is only remembering the first 3 satellites from my last use, and reacquiring those on each boot from memory and then dynamically detecting the 4th one every single time instead of trying to reuse all 4 of the last sessions satellites?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »

Hi,
press UP + PG + PWR to switch device on and go to the Test-Mode Menu. Select GPS-Test -> Coldstart.

Best regards

Longjog

Hi partyman66,

Have you tried performing Cold Start with your watch as Longjog suggested? Did you get the same results?

Please keep us posted.

partyman66

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

Hi partyman66,

Have you tried performing Cold Start with your watch as Longjog suggested? Did you get the same results?

Please keep us posted.

I did do a Cold Start according to the button-combo mentioned above, but it didn't seem to make a lasting difference.  Immediately after doing the Cold Start, it took about 4 minutes to get all the satellites during the initial boot-up.  I then shut the watch off after it found the Satellites, and turned it right back on, and it found the satellites quickly.  However, when I went for a run the next day, it was slow to acquire all of the Satellites again.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:32 am »

Hi Partyman,

I also watch that 3 satellites are found very fast and for the fourth it needs some time. But thatīs not a problem for me. It doesnīt take 3-4 minutes but maximum 1 minute to get a 3D-fix.
Maybe it depends on the area where you start. As better the look to the sky, as better aquisition.

By the way: WAAS/EGNOS is only working if you can receive signals of determined satellits - not every satellite is sending correction data. The number of the sattelite which is sending correctiondata depends on the geographical region where you are.

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

Alain51170

• Regular Members
    • MTB and RAID Nature - France -
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:29:29 pm »

Hello guys... looking at this topic, i just would like to notice that, i have got often this behavior.. 3 satellites quickly, then the 4th one a bit later (but most of the time in the next incoming minute..
Sometimes i was locked.. 3 satellites, then no more!!.. so i had to switch off and on again and it was fine quickly.
I think this last behavior was because i was using the watch in a very different place.. (Germany after France or Turkey..) but in all the cases i was able to get 3D in less then 3mn.. mostly <1mn.
Alain

gerhard

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:14 pm »

When you see 3/4 in the display, it does not mean that 3 sats are found (I do not know what it means...).
Press arrow to see the locked sats.
Same info in the Configuration->GPS Setting->GPS Info
If you want to test the quality of the GPS, make sure you have at least 9 sats when starting.

For acquiring sats, the 625XT is slightly faster than my SirfStarIII device.
Keep the device still when locking. It has taken a couple of minutes to get a lock a few times, when the device was not still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 19 queries.