USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DG-200 does not open .gsr files  (Read 3756 times)

Van_Per

DG-200 does not open .gsr files
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:06 am »

After installing new version of software (1.2.2.120327) I can't open .gsr files made with earlier version of this software. If I try to open older .gsr file via Standard bar using "File -> Open" method, whole system freeze and I have to restart my computer. If I right-click file directly and use "Open" function system wont freeze, DG-200 software will open, but nothing happend - file wont open. New text file named "version" is created in my folder, containing following text:
"1.2.2.111102 a50708dd7ae03d689c4e9977be4d95c4".

Any idea?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: DG-200 does not open .gsr files
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »

When you installed the latest version of the DataCenter program, did you uninstall the previous one? If not, please do so and reinstall the newest version. After that, restart your computer.

I also tried to duplicate the issue that you have by opening up a couple of old. gsr files with the latest version of the DataCenter program. Did not encounter any problems.

Perhaps, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
Restart your computer and login as admin.
If the whole system freezes up, does it go to Blue Screen? If so, you could possibly refer to this forum posting: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1123.msg2965#msg2965

Van_Per

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

First time I didn't uninstall previous version. Since problem occurred I did uninstall all, restarted my computer and installed new version. But problem remained. Computer does not go BSOD, just freeze. I am running WinXP SP2.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Have you tried restarting the computer and logging in as an administrator?
Do you have other programs running in the background? If so, please close them.
Just to confirm, you have no issues opening up newer. gsr files with the latest version of the DataCenter?
By the way, what is the operating system and version of your computer?

Also, can you test another computer and see if you got the same problem?

Van_Per

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:58 am »

I am always logged as administrator. There are no other programs running in the background. I had no issue opening one newer file that I have with the latest version of DataCenter. I am running Windows XP, SP2.

I just made test on another computer which previously had no DataCenter installed - DataCenter freeze and wont open gsr files.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:58:55 pm »

Thanks for that additional info. I'm still unable to duplicate the issue at hand with older .gsr files,

Perhaps you could try the following solution:
- If you remember the previous version of the DataCenter program that you have, you can open the older .gsr files with it.
- With that previous version, you could export the older .gsr files, for example, to .gpx format. Then, you could use your preferred software that supports gpx files.

Possibly, the older .gsr file is corrupted that when you're trying to open it with the newer version, it causes the program to hang. Or, the older file is not fully compatible with it since there has been some changes/updates with the latest version.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Van_Per

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:59:04 am »

Luckily, I have all of my old gsr files in gpx format. The only thing I loose are static points which I had only in gsr files because I couldn't export them separately with previous version of software. I just downloaded route with newest DataCenter software from my logger and had no problems at all. I think that there are some problems with compatibility regarding older files. Can I send one of my older files in gsr format somewhere or to someone who could try to open it with newest software?

Thanks for your effort, I really appreciate it.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:17:24 pm »

In order for me to provide additional support and be able to look at the files, can you please register your product first and generate a support ticket?

Please check your email for further instructions.

chupo_cro

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:42 pm »

I am aware this is very old thread but the information might still have been useful.

I can confirm the .gsr format specification of more recent versions of DataCenter is not the same as it was before - so that is the reason an updated DataCenter can't open the old .gsr files.

The .gsr files saved with DataCenter I got with my DG-200 (version 1.1.0.082401) seem to have the records of 32 bytes each, as opposed to the updated version of DataCenter (1.2.2.120327) which have the records of 48 bytes each (this could be easily verified with every hex editor).
Chupo_cro

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16:53 am »

Hello chupo_cro,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for that detailed info.

By the way, we would a release a new version of the DataCenter program by next month or so. Please look forward to it and keep checking our forums from time to time.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:11:26 pm by USG_TECH10 »

chupo_cro

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

Hello chupo_cro,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for that detailed info.

By the way, we would a release a new version of the DataCenter program by next month or so. Please look forward to it and keep checking our forums from time to time.

Thanks.

Hello,

thank you very much for your welcome to me! I will sure read all new forum posts and am looking forward to see the new version of DataCenter. I have to say - DG-200 is really awesome little gadget :-) and it works like a charm!! My unit has been shipped with static navigation: enabled - however, after reading some forum posts, I've managed to disable the option and now it logs positions very precisely even when I am walking. I might post a picture of the same (walking) track before and after disabling the static navigation.

And there is another thing - I have spent some time analyzing both the old and the new .gsr files and I think I will be able to make a small utility for converting the old files into the new ones. The credits for deciphering the .gsr file specification partially go to the owner of GPS Visualizer site. Since - I have sent him a few representing .gsr files and, after some examination, he updated his software (and mailed me what he has discovered about the file format) so you can now visualize .gsr tracks by uploading them directly - without the need to first convert them to .gpx.

Best regards
Greetings from Hrvatska
Chupo_cro

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:37 am »

You're welcome. And, thanks for imparting your experience with the product and how were you able to resolve the problem. If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering if you could post your review here about the DG-200: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3852.0

That is good news! And, thanks for sharing about the GPS Visualizer site. By the way, I would like to test out that program and see if it can upload the .gsr file directly without converting it to the gpx format. Can you please provide the link to it? Thanks in advance.

chupo_cro

• Regular Members
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »

You're welcome. And, thanks for imparting your experience with the product and how were you able to resolve the problem. If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering if you could post your review here about the DG-200: http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3852.0

Thank you very much, I'll be glad to post the review as soon as I catch some free time to record a few more routes in a different conditions.

That is good news! And, thanks for sharing about the GPS Visualizer site. By the way, I would like to test out that program and see if it can upload the .gsr file directly without converting it to the gpx format. Can you please provide the link to it? Thanks in advance.

Of course. Here you are the link to GPS visualizer online service. You may upload .gsr files directly and since 13. Oct 2012. they will be recognized.

I am in the phase of making a small utility for converting the old .gsr files to the new ones at the moment. As soon as I finish the program and confirm it works as expected, I'll upload it here at the forum so anyone who has old .gsr files could open them with the newer versions of DataCenter.

Best regards
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:35:58 pm by chupo_cro »
Chupo_cro

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:02 pm »

You're welcome. Will be looking forward to your review.

By the way, thanks for providing the link to the GPS Visualizer Online Service. Just did some quick, basic testing by loading a few .gsr files directly and they uploaded properly. Also, tried converting those gsr files to different ouput formats and they look fine as well.

Good to hear that! Thanks for sharing that news. Let me know if you need any assistance in testing that utility.

Again, thanks.

davidwsmithpe

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

Any estimated date for the new software release?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 26 queries.