USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firmware update failed now device won't power up  (Read 2561 times)

Rando

• Regular Members
Firmware update failed now device won't power up
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »

I downloaded the new firmware as per this thread http://www.usglobalsat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4243.0

Was able to connect to the 580P with the PC and start the firmware update but it hung up at different %s of completion several times. I left the device connected to the computer and the computer went to sleep and now the 580P is off and it won't start when I press the On button for a couple of seconds.

Any way to get out of this or is this device dead and I have to send it for warranty. If so where do I send it too? I am in the USA

BTW it is a brand new device I just received today.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
Re: Firmware update failed now device won't power up
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:45:10 am »

Hi Rando,

please try to press UP, OK and POWER at the same time fore some seconds to awake the device in upgrade-mode.
Then try upgrade again.
Good luck!

Longjog

http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

Rando

• Regular Members
SOLVED: Firmware update failed now device won't power up
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

Thanks! Pressing UP, OK and POWER did bring back some life into it. It took me MANY tries but the Firmware finally loaded and the 580P is working again.

Don't know if it matters but when I placed the unit with the screen facing the flat surface of a table and tried again is when it finally successfully loaded the new firmware; perhaps a USB cable interface issue on mine...

I think the information about Pressing UP, OK and POWER to awake the device should be included in future versions of the User Manual.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:01:53 pm »

Thanks for the update. And, good to hear that it works!

Will go ahead and update the User Manual to include this suggestion. Thanks.

canadien

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

It really does look like usb interface problem. Have you tried with different usb cables?

Rando

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:44 pm »

Yep, I did try with another USB cable and could not get it to load the firmware. Both cables felt fine going in and out of the USB port so it may had been just luck.

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:45 am »

Hi Rando,
nice to hear you manged to update your device.
If there is a problem with the USB-interface there should be problems with up/downloading activities also. Do you have such problems?
If the reason is really the USB-interface, your device need to be repaired by Globalsat. There are special tools neccessary to open and close the device. Maybe USG_TECH10 can instruct you where and how to send it.

Best regards
Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »

As Longjog mentioned, just let me know if you have any questions about the device. Also, make sure to register your product first with us and generate a support ticket. Thanks.

Rando

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

Hi Rando,
nice to hear you manged to update your device.
If there is a problem with the USB-interface there should be problems with up/downloading activities also. Do you have such problems?
If the reason is really the USB-interface, your device need to be repaired by Globalsat. There are special tools neccessary to open and close the device. Maybe USG_TECH10 can instruct you where and how to send it.

Best regards
Longjog

Thanks, I am able to download activities and also upload the device settings using TrainingGym. Have not tried to upload activities. So far I have just a couple of rides with it (~ 9 hrs and 100 miles) but it seems to be working fine when I connect it to my laptop and also during the rides.

MikeS

• Regular Members
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:39 am »

I just received my GB-580P and was attempting to do a firmware update. Now I'm stuck. Here's what happened.

- Before I tried to update the firmware, I was able to connect my PC to the GB-580. It seemed to be working properly. I'm on Windows 7.
- I was in TGP and went to Configuration->Firmware Upgrade. I was in Upgrade mode on the GB-580.
- It connected and started to download. It got up to 1% then stopped. After about 1 minute, I received an error message saying that update had failed.
- I tried updating a few times. Each time it would get to 1% and fail.
- I unplugged the GB-580 and powered it down.
- I found this post for instructions on how to power the GB-580 back up.
- When I power back up, the GB-580 says "Please connect USB to PC"
- I connect the USB to my PC and get the following message "Update Program. Connecting.... USB to PC"
- I hear the USB "boop" on my PC when I connect the cable, but the ellipsis never stops moving. When I launch TGP, the GB-580 is not found.

I've tried uninstalling the USB driver and reinstalling it. I've tried different USB ports and cables. They all end in the exact same result. The USB doesn't seem to connect to the GB-580.

Any suggestions for what I should do now?

Thanks,
-Mike

MikeS

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:12:38 am »

Update... As I was typing in the message above I left the GB-580 plugged into my PC. After I posted the message, I tried to update the firmware and it updated! I have no idea what actually transpired, but I'm very happy to say that I'm back up and running.

Many thanks for hosting this forum and remaining so active! It's one of the reasons I chose to purchase the device. Now I need to go out and do some riding so I can learn how to use all its capabilities.

Thanks,
-Mike

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

Thanks for the update. And, good to hear that you upgraded the device successfully!

You're welcome. We try our best to provide good customer service and have an active participation.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 20 queries.