USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pressing the buttons accidentally  (Read 1923 times)

AndersBrontosaurus

Pressing the buttons accidentally
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:16 am »

I wrote about this in the reviewthread since I had a hunch that this could happen. Now it's happened several times and it's happen more often since I started wearing gloves. I'm talking about the accidental pressing of the stopbutton. For me it mostly occurs when doing pushups during the run. Since I mostly run at evenings I don't see the display and if i don't hear the stopsound the watch can be off for minutes.
Not very much to do more than just be aware of it and suggest other buttonplacement for next model. There is a physical workaround offcourse. Pushups on the knuckles.....Brrr......

partyman66

Re: Pressing the buttons accidentally
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:43 am »

I wrote about this in the reviewthread since I had a hunch that this could happen. Now it's happened several times and it's happen more often since I started wearing gloves. I'm talking about the accidental pressing of the stopbutton. For me it mostly occurs when doing pushups during the run. Since I mostly run at evenings I don't see the display and if i don't hear the stopsound the watch can be off for minutes.
Not very much to do more than just be aware of it and suggest other buttonplacement for next model. There is a physical workaround offcourse. Pushups on the knuckles.....Brrr......

Perhaps they could implement an optional "LOCK" feature that you could turn on inside the watch's options menu so that you could press a certain key combination to get into and out of the LOCK mode(which would lock all button features except for the PWR/Backlight button), such as pushing and holding the ESC/LAP button for 3 seconds to toggle it on or off.  The only problem with that is you might have to combine it with the watches Auto Start/Stop feature to make it so that you can accurately stop your watch when you finish a run without first having to hold the ESC/LAP button down for 3 seconds to disable the LOCK mode and then hitting the STOP button 

canadien

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »

... or this workaround for a arm strap:
http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195435

gerhard

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

I have quite a lot of comparisons fail because the other device hits the stop button.
Even with only the 625XT, I have done as Anders and pushed the button with my clothes.
It is also a little unnatural to push the buttown where it is now, thumb-index finger goes easily diagonal but not across the clock - not so well timed stops.

The natural position is to me opposite to the lap button, i.e. right lower side.

TurboTorben

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »

I've had the same problem with the 625M. Look's like Geoffrey and friends must come up with a general solution for all the wrist-mounted devices ;D
GH-625M: F-GGH-2A-1012103_Interval training
GB-580B: F-GGB-2O-1107122

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »

I agree with Gerhard. Moving it down or up would decrease the risk of stopping the watch accidentally.

Then i would off course prefer something like this solution for the future...just that the lapbutton seems to be placed on the mid right side...

Anders
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:36:40 am by AndersBrontosaurus »

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »

flameattack.

OK. I've mentioned the problem with accidently stopping the watch during workout before. It has now happened to me a couple of times and it's as annoying everytime if you don't notice immediately. For me it has happened both while doing pushups and while running. since i run off trails sometimes I have to halfclimb or pass obstacles in various ways and sometimes my wrist is flexed in that extent that the top of my hand touches the stopbutton. This could be fixed with a button either on the front of the watch like polar for instance or preferrably on the upperside like on the kalenjiwatch.

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:42:01 am »

I have held for about two months the Kalenji CW700, and the arrangement of buttons is really satisfactory.
For the problem you've described, you may propose to include in the next firmware option for left handed, reversing the buttons from right to left and vice versa, so instead of stopping, you should turn on the light, but in the worst case you may switch off the clock. :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:33:09 am by WincenT »

partyman66

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:32:42 pm »

since i run off trails sometimes I have to halfclimb or pass obstacles in various ways and sometimes my wrist is flexed in that extent that the top of my hand touches the stopbutton.

This is exactly what happens to me all the time.  I often have to scale fences, rock walls, or fallen trees while running out in the bush and don't notice that I've hit the stop button while my wrist was angled perpendicular to my forearm.  It sucks when you don't realize it stopped for like another 15 minutes and then your whole workout timing and pace measurement is completely lost.

A simple lock feature could take care of this.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »

Hello All,

Thanks for your suggestions. Will go ahead and forward this to our engineers.

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:33 am »

FYI, yesterday it happened again.  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 20 queries.