USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source code releasing  (Read 3093 times)

canadien

Source code releasing
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »

Since the departure of Geoffrey it seems engineers have a little abandon gs-sport because too busy with others projects.

Considering this new state of things I wonder if Globalsat can re-consider releasing their gs-sport devices source code?

For instance, in the android world, I see more and more asian company releasing their source because they realize that it is the best way for them to improve the products. They often don't have time to work on firmware and rather focus on hardware. That's the way it should work for us as well.

The past summer we did not see any of our wishes realized/firmware released. So I think it's time for gs-sport to re-think about all that to show that  they continue to care about their customers.

What are your opinions on that matter? Would there be people interested to work on that like Zingo, Gerhard or else? Or not at all...?

gerhard

Re: Source code releasing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »

Of course the firmware is interesting. The Globalsat HW is much better than the firmware.
Globalsat has in the past been very good at listening to the customers. The 615/625M support is quite uncommon in this industry.

Open firmware could be a way to differentiate to other major device manufacturers. Even if pure smartphones in view are not direct competitors, the "wrist companions" may eventually be direct competitors.
Viral marketing is cheap and often efficient.

But unfortunately not only the source code is needed, but likely also build environment, compiler info etc. So just the source code may not be of so much interest other than "change this or that line to fix a certain bug". For instance commercial compilers are very expensive... Some parts of the firmware may be licensed from other entities. But it is up to Globalsat to say if it is meaningful or not.

canadien

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:30 am »

Globalsat has in the past been very good at listening to the customers.
I know but I think things has changed at gs-sport and it is not like the past anymore. And this is the first fact on what I
base this thread. I want to make things go forward without giving more job to engineers cause they don't have time right now.

Open firmware could be a way to differentiate to other major device manufacturers.

Yes that's whats I think as well. It could be a great opportunity where I do think gs-sport has nothing to loose and all to win.

But unfortunately not only the source code is needed, but likely also build environment, compiler info etc. So just the source code may not be of so much interest other than "change this or that line to fix a certain bug".

For the build environment I did not know but to "change this or that line to fix a certain bug" would be at least a good starting point. For instance Virtual trainer give me more than 30% error from real distance. The problems is know for months and nothing has changed so if we can fix it it would accelerate things for sure.

So the more we show enthusiasm about it here, the more I hope they will consider it.

partyman66

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:32:29 pm »

I'd be interested in this.  I'm a professional software engineer and have been for 12 years, working for the US Military (through a defense contractor).

Do you have any information about what types of coding technologies were used to create the firmware (what languages, and the OS used to compile/build source code)?  I can't imagine it's anything obnoxiously low level such as straight assembly.

I bet that once you get the development environment configured and the build scripts working, it's probably not too bad to deal with.

canadien

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:12 pm »

Glad you are interested partyman. I bet Zingo would be interested as well, but he does not seem to come anymore on the forum. Same for Anders, if I remember he already ask for it in the past (or was it Zingo)?

Cause I think we need to be a lot to request it for they accept. If we are only 2 or 3 persons I don't think it will be enough.

USG_TECH10, can you please enquire anyway to Gs-sport?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:46:19 pm by canadien »

Dardard

• Regular Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:51:29 am »

I'm also interested in.
It's a shame that Globalsat seem to neglect GS sport actually.
GH625XT and GH580 need regular SW upgrade to maintain higher quality.
By releasing the source code, Globalsat could also use it as a marketing advantage between competitor, as (as far as I know) no other sport watch manufacturer done this before. Sport device made by sportmen for sportmen.
I am used with microcontrolers for almost 15years.

canadien

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »

Thanks for your support dardad :)

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »

Hello All,

Sorry for the late response everyone. I have checked with GS-Sport about the status updates with the GH-625XT and GB-580 firmware, as well as the Training Gym Pro (software and Cloud version).

They will be releasing the new firmware versions and TGP software before the end of this year. As of now, they're still testing some functions.

Regarding the TGP Cloud version, they have started working on it and it may take a couple of months to complete it. Perhaps, it will be released by early next year.
For a quick status update, they're currently adding a unique ID for each device in order to support the Cloud version. However, some of the old devices would not be supported since the volume is big and it will take a lot of work.

Also, there's a possibility that they will release some new devices as well.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

canadien

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »

Thanks TECH_10, but can they also consider releasing source code and compiler info...?

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:44:46 am »

Agree with everyone above. Nice initiative Canadien.
can't code myself but I like to take part with ideas, suggestions and testing.

TWG_tech10: You didn't reply to the topic...or maybe you did indirect...

/Anders

WincenT

• Regular Members
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:27 am »

Yes, I'm for open firmware too.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »

Hello All,

Apparently, the source code and other relevant materials, are not meant to be released to public or to be distributed to others since these are considered confidential materials and proprietary format. In other words, these files are not meant to be shared with other parties or individuals.

Moreover, revising the source code, modifying it to include firmware requests, fixing known bugs, testing them to make sure they work fine, and so on would take a lot of time of effort. It's not a one-day or a one-week thing, as it will take some time to be able to continually update the codes and improve them.

Thank you for your understanding.

AndersBrontosaurus

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 04:19:58 am »

@Canadien: I'm glad you brought up this topic. I think it could have been a boost but it seems like GlobalSat is not ready for it. (Like most companies)

zingo

• zingo.org
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 04:37:05 am »

It would have been great to have the chance to fix all the small annoyances.
If Globalsat then bring them into their main branch or not is another story, If they don't want the extra work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 19 queries.