USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown file format while opening a kml-/gpx-file from another device  (Read 992 times)

German-User

• Regular Members

Hello,
if I want to open in my GTP a kml- or gpx-file from another device, for e.g. my phone, I get following error message:

@USG_TECH10: You can reproduce it with the files which I sent you in my email.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
Re: Unknown file format while opening a kml-/gpx-file from another device
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »

After opening the gpx file, you have acquired from your phone, with Notepad and compared it to the gpx file from the TGP, the format that they're using are completely different. Please keep in mind that there are different kinds of gpx file formats out there.

To be able to use a gpx format that TGP supports, you can use the GPSies website (http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do) to convert the gpx file that you acquired from your phone. You can do this by clicking on Choose File and select the gpx file (from your phone). Then, under 'convert to:', select Track and choose GPX Track from the drop-down list. Click on the convert button and you'll be able to see the gpx file being downloaded. Once it's completely downloaded, please open the gpx file with TGP.
You can apply the same thing for the kml file. Make sure to select Google Earth KML from the drop-down list.

By the way, I just sent you the converted gpx file of the gpx (you have acquired from your phone). Please check your email.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:55:44 pm by USG_TECH10 »

German-User

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:52:21 am »

Hi,
this isn't a satisfied answer for me.  ;) gpx-files are gpx-files, kml-files are kml-files. Each file (*.pdf-, *.txt-, *.java-,...) have to be work on each system and tool.

But does not matter. This functionality I don't need. I'd tried it only...

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »

As stated in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_eXchange_Format#Data_types), "the minimum properties for a GPX file are latitude and longitude for every single waypoint. All other elements are optional.". In other words, it depends on what are the other elements included in the GPX file that is outputted by your phone/program. That's why, I mentioned before that there are various types of the GPX file.

Similarly, the kml has different types, which you could also customized its data as well. More info about the customization can be found here: https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/extendeddata
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 19 queries.