USGlobalSat GPS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 625XT questions (before buying)  (Read 2300 times)

zerozed

• Regular Members
625XT questions (before buying)
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:08:38 pm »

Hi guys, I was a long time owner of the 625M but I recently gave that away to a friend of mine who didn't have a GPS watch.  I really liked the 625M and am considering getting the XT since the price is so reasonable.  Before I buy, I'm hoping you guys can give me some feedback on the differences and similarities between the 625M and the 625XT.

One thing that really interests me about the XT is the advertised battery life.  Does it really get 18 hours?  I run Ultras and I enjoy long battery life.
Is the charging system the same as on the M or have they changed it (i.e. same cord)?
When transferring data to the PC, do you have to select that mode on the watch like on the M?
Is the backlight the same brightness?
What is the Virtual Trainer like?  Does it have a stick-man you race against like on Garmin Forerunner?
I believe I read (before the XT was released) that the new model uses the same case as the M (i.e. same size)...is that the case?
The pictures on Amazon show the XT with 3 data fields but on the GS-Sport site it doesn't--what are the options with the data fields?
I don't normally wear a heart-rate monitor, but is there a difference between the one I had with the M and the one that comes with the XT?
Although I don't expect the XT to be Ant+ compatible, I'll just ask...is it?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I couldn't find any video reviews of the XT.  I figured I'd post the questions here as most of you are familiar with the M model as well and can probably give me better feedback than I'd get elsewhere.  Any info, comments, suggestions you can offer are much appreciated!

partyman66

Re: 625XT questions (before buying)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

I'm not sure if it will go 18 hours with the GPS on or not, but I usually charge mine and download all my training info to the computer about once every 5 to 8 days, and the battery indicator usually says there's still 60-70% remaining after that time.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen mine go lower than 60%.  I'm not sure how accurate that indicator is though, since I've never let mine run all the way down(you're not supposed to let these type of batteries run all the way down).

I would imagine that with the GPS turned on and logging training data the entire time, the battery should easily go more than 10 hours... maybe even 18 as advertised.

I also don't like to wear the heartbeat monitor.  I'm told that it's the same as the one from the 625M, although I never had a 625M to compare it to, so I can't say for sure.  The heartbeat monitor that came with mine is terribly inaccurate, to the point that it's useless to me.  Some people have bought heartbeat straps from Polar and used them with their 625XT and had great success with the accuracy of their heartbeat monitoring.  I've actually used my 625XT in conjunction with an old heartbeat monitor strap from some small, unknown brand and it worked pretty well with that one.

I've never used the virtual trainer, so I can't comment on that.

The data fields are configurable.  You can pretty much pick whatever you want and have it show up in there.  There are options to show up to 4 fields on the screen at once, or you can set it up to show fewer fields but with a larger display font.  Personally, I always set mine up to show "Elapsed Time", "Average Pace", "Current Pace", and "Total Distance".  You can also setup multiple screens, in case you want to see more fields, and you can toggle through them by pushing one of the buttons on the side of the watch in order to access other fields in case 4 is not enough.

The backlight on the 625XT is extremely bright... you should never have any issues being able to see it due to a lack of backlight brightness at night.  In order to send the info to the PC, you do have to set the watch into a Connect-to-PC mode, but the "Connect to PC:  YES/NO" prompt comes up on the watch automatically when you plug it into the PC as long as the watch is turned on when you connect it, or if you turn the watch on after it's already connected.

I have never even seen a 625M, but the cable on the 625XT has 2 parts to it on the end that plugs into the watch.  One is a single metallic prong, about the width of a ball-point pen head (possibly a tad smaller), and the other is a larger circular plug with a few pins inside of it.  You plug it into the watch by flipping back a rubber seal on the back of the watch to expose a data port, and then you line up the 2 connectors (the ones I mentioned above) with the 2 holes in the back of the watch, and push on the back of the connector so they both go into their appropriate locations on the watch.  It's pretty easy to use in general.

Here are a few pics of the connector that should make it more obvious as to what I'm talking about(My camera sucks.... sorry for the low quality imagery, but it's enough to convey the point):

Richard

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:46:44 am »

zerozed

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:04 am »

Thanks guys!  You have answered a number of my questions.  I'm VERY happy to hear that the 625XT's battery life is very good.  I hope Globalsat makes this a standard is future models because so many athletes need more than 8 hours.  I was able to determine from doing a bunch of searches that the 625XT does support the "Quad-View" data fields...which is awesome!   

There are a couple of questions I originally asked that I'd still like to get some feedback on if you can help me.  Also, I thought of one more.

1)  What is the Virtual Trainer like?  Does it have a stick-man you race against like on Garmin Forerunner?
2)  Although I don't expect the XT to be Ant+ compatible, I'll just ask...is it? (I use an Ant+ footpod with one of my old watches while running on a treadmill which is why I ask).
3)  Does the 625XT auto-delete old workouts when the memory fills up?  My 625M would just stop recording data if I forgot to erase old workouts.  It's not a big issue for me, I'm just curious if & how they might have changed that.

Thanks guys!

partyman66

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »

3)  Does the 625XT auto-delete old workouts when the memory fills up?  My 625M would just stop recording data if I forgot to erase old workouts.  It's not a big issue for me, I'm just curious if & how they might have changed that.

It's unlikely that you will ever fill up the watch with data if you are dumping the data on a weekly basis.  The default setting is for the watch to create a trackpoint every 2 seconds, and the GH625XT can hold 120,000 trackpoints.  That breaks down to about 66 1/2 hours of solid tracking (at 2 second intervals).  You can switch it to 1-second intervals if you want, and you'll still get over 33 hours of tracking.

That would be absolutely amazing if you were doing more than 66 hours of actual running in a week to fill the watch up that quickly.  That would be somewhere between 450 to 650 miles in a week (depending on pace).... LOL.

gerhard

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:15 pm »

1)  What is the Virtual Trainer like?  Does it have a stick-man you race against like on Garmin Forerunner?
2)  Although I don't expect the XT to be Ant+ compatible, I'll just ask...is it? (I use an Ant+ footpod with one of my old watches while running on a treadmill which is why I ask).

1. Virtual Trainer
It works slightly different to GF
The map and before/after component are separate functions. There is no autoresync if the routes are different. You can see time or distance to the reference.

2. ANT+
No, compatible to some Polar sensors though.
(Other fitness devices are ANT+ compatible, like GB-580P, so Globalsat follows this road too.)

3. Auto delete
No, manual.
Latest ST plugin warns when there are less than 3h left though, let you delete from ST.

sbouju

• Regular Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:11:07 am »

Thank you to everybody for this thread!  :)

I have a (surprising?) question too: is the 625XT usable every day as a simple wrist watch? If no, why, and if yes, what about simple watch fonctions as: chronograph, timer, alarm, etc...?

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:34 pm »

Hello sbouju,

The GH-625XT is more of an advanced type of watch as it's designed a multi-use GPS Sports Training watch. However, it supports both TOD mode and clock alarm function, which can be used as real watch for a number of days. You can find more info about it here: (http://www.gs-sport.com/products.php?en_product_id=1). For downloads, please refer here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-153-gh-625xt-support.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.

sbouju

• Regular Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 03:14:14 am »

However, it supports both TOD mode and clock alarm function, which can be used as real watch for a number of days.

Thank you, I had founded all that, yes. I was just looking for some real life feedback, if some owners of this watch really use it as their daily wrist watch with no problem.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »

Hello sbouju,
Understood and got your point. Thanks.

Hello All,
Anyone has utilized the GH-625XT for daily use? Comments? Observations?

gerhard

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:53 pm »

Not much of a reply since I stopped using a wrist watch like 20 years ago because I do not like items tied to me....
However, the device fits my relative thin arm very well. I occasionally have the 625XT before/after runs and it does not bother me much. It is maybe a little thick, which I can feel if I for instance fix with my bike.

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

Thanks gerhard for sharing your observations.

Hello All,
Anyone else? What has been your experience using the GH-625XT like a simple wristwatch?

Longjog @ GS-Sport-Servicecenter

• Globalsat GS-Sport-Servicecenter Germany
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:21 pm »

Hi,

for me it is much to big for using as simple wrist-watch.

Best regards

Longjog
http://www.gs-sport-servicecenter.de.vu/

GH-625M, GH-625XT, GH-505, GH-561, GB-580P, BT-338
Germany

GS_TECH01

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »

Hello Longjog,

Thanks for your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 18 queries.